1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Acer MXM Models and Cards

Discussion in 'Acer' started by TehSuigi, Jul 4, 2009.

1. triturbo

triturbo Upgrading 16:10 machines

Reputations:
    It should work just fine.

2. Azaza

Azaza Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I've got aspire 5720G, however it might be GZ, two stickers gives different information, but my motherboard is ICL50, and my notebook originally came with 8400m GS. Recently I've gotten my hands on quaddro FX770 512 Mb DDR3 (It's not clear if it's in working condition), which as few sites tells is a little changed 9600m GT, and should be compatible with my laptop, if I have last version of BIOS - 1.45, and I have it, but modded, with SLIC 2.1 (I'll try flashing original acer bios today). Also, I have problems with display, so I can use laptop only with external VGA/DVI display, or VNC with virtual video card.
    So, if I install FX770 into notebook, there is nothing on external displays (forums says VGA should not work), it boots to windows, I get picture from virtual video card, and there is no FX770 or any new devices in device manager. Also, videocard doesent get hot, and notebook works nearly two hours with its battery, so I assume videocard is not even powered.
    1) Should I try flashing FX770 with another VBIOS, and how do I do that?
    2) On pictures of motherboards, the ones with video card ports and without seem quite similar, so I wonder if there might be locked integrated intel video on every motherboard, even 5720G/GZ ones?

3. signex

signex Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm dissapointed that the Acer Aspire 8930G can only go up to a 9650M GS.

So 9800M GTX or GT is really a no go? :(

4. triturbo

Reputations:
    Physically it would fit (most 8 series have the room inside, not very sure about this particular one though), but the cooling system is inadequate to cool it.

5. signex

signex Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've read the Quadro FX 3700M is the best one for my laptop, but i can't find it anywhere online.

I saw some, but they don't mention if it works in Acer 8930G.

6. triturbo

Reputations:
    And they wont since no one has tried it as far as I know. As I said, you have to rework the cooling BIG time in order to cool this thing. At the very least you'll have to change the fan. Also you'll need at least 150W adapter.

7. Simmie

Simmie Newbie

Reputations:
  8. KENKI

KENKI Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm total newbie and i have a qestion. Can I upgrade my graphic card in Acer 5530? In device manager i see two and i don't know why? Radeon HD 3200 and Radeon HD 3400

9. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Thanks for info. Added to first post.

No you can't. These are integrated chips. You'd need an MXM slot with a dedicated card.

10. =FTH12=

=FTH12= Newbie

Reputations:
    I want to change graphic card for my Acer TravelMate 6593G laptop.I was reading this thread and i have a few questions:
    Can i change it to Radeon HD 4650 1GB DDR2?
    If i can, is that the best graphic card that my laptop can handle or i can change it to better one?

11. downloads

Reputations:
    @=FTH12= In theory it should work with HD4650 MXM II although as you can see from the first page of this thread it has not been attempted here yet.

12. =FTH12=

=FTH12= Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok, im going to change my graphic card soon and i will post the result here.HD4650 is the best card that my laptop can handle, right?

13. downloads

Reputations:
    Well HD4670 with DDR3 would be better but it's pretty much impossible to get one these days.
    There is also something from NVidia that is at least comparable - GT240M I think.

14. =FTH12=

=FTH12= Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok, i'll see what i can find, thanks for helping me:).

15. propolkin

propolkin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    downloads, please add following information to the first message of this thread - 5739G upgradable with 6770M/M5950 from Dell/HP (both ROMless and with ROM chip work. ROMless version has to be adopted to the notebook by means of integrating vBIOS into sBIOS). Upgradable with Dell FirePro M4000 (PR80C)/7770M. Upgradable with HP M4000, but doesn`t work correctly - vBIOS conflict. Possibly upgradable with M5100 from Dell.

16. propolkin

Reputations:
    =FTH12=, In addition you could try to find MXMII GT330M. It is better than MXMII GT240M, but it is nearly impossible to find this card for now.

17. =FTH12=

=FTH12= Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok, thanks.

18. triturbo

Reputations:
    Why? It's just a bit higher clocked GT 240m, and at least my 240ms were quite the clockers - 715/1030 on stock voltage (550/790 stock clocks), given you have the cooling though and I do. So not really worth the hassle and it's ROMless too.

propolkin likes this.
  19. propolkin

Reputations:
    Oh, even ROMless. Didn`t know about that. Thank`s, triturbo!

Mine GT240M (but it is MXMIII A) doesn`t overclock higher than 605/910. It begins to throttle if higher frequencies are applied. -_-