Acer MXM Models and Cards

Discussion in 'Acer' started by TehSuigi, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    ORB - Compare

8200 :)

After taking a closer look at test 3 in 3dmark 06 (very good to test it) I backed off to 760mhz core and went up to 1025mhz mem.

Backing off the core increased my score, it also seemed to give my mem some more headroom which increased my score again.

2. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Cool scores, Meaker and congrats for the new GPU :D The question is how this transfers into heat :D I know that Acer suited 5930G with far better cooling than 5920G and I wonder how cool is yours?

3. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    In a properly balanced game that hits the CPU and GPU we are talking 90C for the CPU and GPU.

High 80s in a one sided game for the stressed componant. In a GPU heavy game the CPU goes to around 65C lol :p

The biggest difference is the temperatures on the lap, I can actually keep it there, where it was uncomfortable before.

Remember I got the better heatsink. My 5935G came with a 4570, I got the heatsink recommended for the 4670 in the FRU.

There is also one for the GT240M.

4. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    And that's with an Xtreme in there, gee. I have the same temps with BSEL moded and undervolted T9500. How much different are the heatsinks? A pic would be nice :)

5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    The heatsinks are not terribly different. The fan has less blades and is also rated for lower current but is generally a bit more agressive but has a lower tone to it so is less annoying.

The heatpipes are a fraction thicker and the copper contact for the GPU is wider without 4 square outlines.

It came pre-applied with a thin layer of paste for the CPU and a pad for the GPU. The pad is interesting, its very thin and it makes good contact with the core so maybe paste is not quite thick enough?

Anyway a pick of the unit is up at the shop:

CPU cooler / fan for Acer Aspire 5935G-744G50MN

(I think that might actually be MY unit lol, its gone up a fair whack in price).

The design is not radically different, but the temps are a decent bit better.

EDIT: CPU is at 1.2375V which is its stock and 3.33ghz is the fastest it can do at this voltage. Running the OCCT stress test my temps stabilise at 78C.

6. robbert-h

robbert-h Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a question,

Recently I replaced my 8600m gs with a 9650m gt. On the internet I see the information that it has 800mhz memory clock. but mine shows 432mhz in gpu-z. And that's when I ran a furmark benchmark. So its at full usage.

Any idea's how that can be solved? or do I need to do the 432 times 2 because of DDR2?

7. TehSuigi

TehSuigi Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No, that's because 800 MHz is the memory speed for the GDDR3 version of the 9650M GT. Since yours is DDR2, its speed is roughly half that.
    That's one of the main benefits of GDDR3-equipped MXM cards over their DDR2 brothers, double the memory bandwidth. It also adds a bundle to the cost of the card, which is why Acer preferred not to use it all the time.

8. roccospatu

roccospatu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi!
    I installed Nvidia 9650m GT on Acer Aspire 7520 and it works perfectly.
    You can add this card to the first page of the thread.

9. TehSuigi

TehSuigi Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Awesome, roccospatu! Could you please post some screenshots and/or pictures for verification? Thumbnailed, please.

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    You have not added the 4670 to the 5935g.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.