Acer MXM Models and Cards

Discussion in 'Acer' started by TehSuigi, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Partizan

Partizan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Update: Just for the sake of trying hopelessly to fix this 'in game freez' problem I formated my pc again (like the 5th or 6th time in a week time).

The only thing that changed is that when my game freezes, the pc now shuts down by itself again, instead of me having to force a shutdown.
    Also, the temp of shutdown dropped again, to 62 celcius (first it was 78, then 68, etc).

So is it safe to assume this is just because of a faulty gpu? (It first only shutdown at full hd, then when we tried to clock it normaly it would shutdown at lower resolutions, then when we clocked it back to the low settings it kept shutting down at the lower resolutions).

2. TehSuigi

TehSuigi Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well, the best way to find out would be to toss the 8600M GT back in and see if the problem persists.
    If it doesn't, faulty GPU. If it does, one of your other components is going south.

3. Partizan

Partizan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My 8600m gt works perfectly. Guess I got an faulty card from mxm-upgrade then.
    Ice-Tea offered for me to bring my laptop to him so he could check it out for himself. I'll update when thats done.

4. iain.lightbody

iain.lightbody Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Does anyone know how good Acer is on turn-around time? They sent me a go ahead to send it in to them after I told them that my laptop has been modified from stock. Here is the message they sent me when I asked for the new fan.

I had asked Acer earlier for repair, but I wanted to make sure what people thought about the warranty and my replacing parts.

5. TehSuigi

Reputations:
    Depends on your country - Acer Canada's in the same province as me, so it was a relatively quick turn-around.
    Also, you might have to put the original components back in your machine for them to service it; that's what I was told, and why I kept my original T5550 CPU.

6. iain.lightbody

iain.lightbody Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The place they told me to send it was only one state away from me. I was smart like you. I kept my T6600 and 130m. You always have to count on something going wrong sadly.

7. zsoca929

zsoca929 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all!

Is the Acer 5732Zg notebook compatible with mxm vga card?
    It has intel pm45 chipset,and the original vga is hd4570 512mb ddr vram!

Thanks.

8. robbert-h

robbert-h Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The HD4570 is embedded to the motherboard as far as I know, that will mean that you can't upgrade / swap your gpu

9. TehSuigi

Reputations:
    @zsocz929: First I've heard of the 5732ZG. Given that Acer has recently stopped using MXM cards in their notebook designs, I'm inclined to agree with Bo0bz: the Radeon HD 4570 is soldered onto the motherboard, and can't be removed.

10. Partizan

Partizan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok just came back from Ice-Tea's crib and started testing my gpu. Apparantly all I needed was a bios update xD
    Just rank 3dmark06 at 675mhz and got a score of 4796 (compared to 4561 with 550 mhz...).
    When I play AC2 with my gpu at 675mhz I reached a max temp of 91 celcius. I think i'm going to downclock it to 625mhz and 1.15 v (compared to 1.2v) and see if that will keep me under the 90 celcius barrier to make sure my gpu will last a bit longer (I know its supposed to be able to deal with 100 celcius but anything above 90 celcius is risky imo).

Anyway since my upgrade was a succes, I'd like to give special thanks for TehSuigi for creating this thread and answering my pm's and Ice-Tea ofcourse who offered me great service from mxm-upgrade.com

Now i'm totaly ready for the newest games and will be able to postphone my purchase of a new laptop/desktop for another year or two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.