Acer MXM BIOS Mods and discussion (was: x920G vs. 9600M GT)

Discussion in 'Acer' started by .NetRolller 3D, May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danilomarx

danilomarx Newbie

Reputations:
    I already did it. I installed the modded driver from laptop2go (version 250, because I can not find the latest one with modded inf.).

The video works, GTA and Fallout work, but sometimes I get a BSOD.

Maybe it is just unstable.

Any tips how to install the latest drivers?

2. .NetRolller 3D

.NetRolller 3D Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you have the 5720G, you should be able to install drivers straight from Nvidia without modding. Use Nvidia's driver finder tool.

By "already did it", you mean the NiBiTor mod?

3. danilomarx

danilomarx Newbie

Reputations:
    yes, I modded my v-bios (following your instructions) and flashed it.

I tried to install the official drivers (from Nvidia website) but it give an error (no compatible hardware found, something like that)

4. akivlin

akivlin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I bricked the 5730 again. I was messing around with the encoders used by the LVDS and HDMI connectors and the last change causes the BIOS to hang. I recovered the BIOS but it doesn't work as it 3 beeps then hangs which is what it was doing when I did the tweezer on pins 1 and 4. I think I should still be able to get it working but it's not a priority right now.

NetRolller 3D: Do you have any tips on where to look in the VBIOS to fix the internal screen issue or the audio over HDMI?

5. .NetRolller 3D

Reputations:
    @danilomarx: Please post the full hardware ID of the card, as reported by Device Manager's Details tab.

@akivlin: The 5730 is apparently very modding-unfriendly - if it fails to set up a video card, it locks up, preventing things like blind-flashing.

One thing to look for in the VBIOS: there is a bit that controls whether the display is single- or dual-link. Make sure this bit actually matches your display.

6. danilomarx

danilomarx Newbie

Reputations:
    id driver

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0649&SUBSYS_061C10DE&REV_A1
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0649&SUBSYS_061C10DE
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0649&CC_030000
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0649&CC_0300

7. luca.anceschi

luca.anceschi Newbie

Reputations:
    @.NetRolller 3D

Hi. I own an Acer 5920G and I recently discovered and read this thread for which I thank you. Nonetheless I was not able to figure out if for instance I can upgrade my videocard with a Nvidia 9600m coming from ASUS laptop like this one. I'm referring to those posts in which are mentioned romless videocards (ASUS in particular) compatibility issues. Few words of clarification would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

8. .NetRolller 3D

Reputations:
    @danilomarx: Edit your VBIOS again with NiBiTor, change the Sub Vendor ID to "1025" and the Subsystem ID to "011E" (these are on the Adv. Info tab). You should then be able to use unmodded drivers.

@luca.anceschi: The ROM is the small chip in the upper left corner. On the card you linked to, it's clearly visible, so it's not a ROM-less card.

9. danilomarx

danilomarx Newbie

Reputations:
    It Works!!!

Thank you man :)

Attached Files:

10. ajimijames

ajimijames Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, just ordered my 9600M GT 512MB DDR3 graphic adapter and should arrived in 4-5 days. Can't wait for it to go into my 6920G notebook. Too bad it's just the A1 version not the C1 because I can only afford the A1 version for now. Will update once I've done the upgrade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.