Acer MXM BIOS Mods and discussion (was: x920G vs. 9600M GT)

Discussion in 'Acer' started by .NetRolller 3D, May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. .NetRolller 3D

.NetRolller 3D Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is anyone willing to test this on a 5920G?

2. u6b36ef

u6b36ef Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @ Lizzarddos,

Please can you post info about what temperatures do you have with your current 9600M GT on stock clocks? Also, how high did temps go when you overclocked your previous C1 version 9600M GT.

3. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    What do you mean to test? To check if the BIOS works at all, or just the 9600M GT thing?

4. lizzarddos

lizzarddos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Stock clocks
    Idle:46-49c
    Peak:63c

Oc'd (650/850/1625)
    Idle:49-50c
    Peak:66c

Old card, C1 version, Oc'd (780/1000/1800)
    Idle:53c
    Peak:70-72c

5. .NetRolller 3D

Reputations:
    Whether it accepts previously picky cards, like the 9600M GT. I really hope it does NOT break previously working cards - but given that the end of the MXM structure was overwritten with machine code in the original BIOS (requiring me to shorten the structure), it is possible that even the byte that became the new checksum byte was originally code, so regression testing may also be needed.

6. niffcreature

niffcreature ex computer dyke

Reputations:
    It may break previously working Acer proprietary cards - but it sounds like it definitely will still work with the standard 9600m GT cards as well as the HP fx 770m cards flashed to standard BIOS...

Apparently getting kudos for figuring that out is not a requirement as it isn't important enough to put on the MXM page :rolleyes:

7. juodvarnis

juodvarnis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hi everyone, i search for help and end up here :)

just recently bought nvidia fx700 quadro board, upgrade for my acer aspire 5720g but there is no image at all on internal or external displays BUT i can hear windows boot sound :)
    i need that quadro, is there any way i can see something :)

thankyou for any help

btw, i bought it on ebay and have no idea if it works at all, but seller is 100% possitive and accepts my request for return

8. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Well, if you remove the SLIC 2.1 mod (I don't want to mess-up my Vista registration), I'll give it a go. I don't have 9600M GT, so it would be just it-runs/it-doesn't test :)

9. u6b36ef

u6b36ef Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @ Lizzarddos,

Given you rep one for doing the systemBIOS flash first. Can't stop 'laughing out loud' (cslol), when I think what you did.

Thanks for the temp info. Staggered to be honest, how low the readings are that you have. The 8600M GT does 50'C to 77'C. Statistically with the tech (lithography) size of the 9600m reduced to 65nm (over 80nm of the 8600m), lower temps could be forseen. Contradictory though the 9600m has more transistors on chip, and clocking 275MHz faster. (Power consumption is kind of reported the same.)

@ .NetRolller 3D

Oh yeah - gave you +one rep; veritably deserved.
    I was hanging onto the edge just recently thinking of the flash for the 5920. (You scared me with this new stuff you posted today though.) Maybe I should learn blind flashing for a repair in case something goes wrong. I have a no-POST 9500M GS which, as you discussed should be got to work by your SBIOS mod.

A flash on an 8920 seems straightforward since Lizzarddos made the 6920. Now you have the distinction between the 8920 SBIOS and the 6920 SBIOS, it should be ok. (That's presuming the 8920 SBIOS mod mirrors the 6920 SBIOS mod, yeah?)

Allthough I used the disassembler you suggested, I still can't see past columns of hex. It looks better than it did before I disassembled, which was one long block of hex. I can't make it look the way it appears in the MXM pdf. document, all strings and brackets etc. No worries though, I think I might give up, even though I really wanted to get to changing fan switch on temp. (That was just about last page in the MXM document, btw).

U6b36ef.

10. .NetRolller 3D

Reputations:
    @ juodvarnis: You probably have a broken card.
    The 5720G has an InsydeH2O "BIOS" (actually an EFI), and indeed there are errors in the MXM structure, similar to the ones in the 6920G. Oddly enough, I've never encountered any MXM incompatibilities with this machine before.

But anyway, here is a BIOS for 5720G and other ICL50/ICK70-based Acers/eMachines with fixed MXM structure (+ SLIC2.1 + unlocked Advanced menus): request download ticket | ifile.it

Won't brick/regress anything (tested on my 5720G), but I have no FX770M to test. Use InsydeFlash to flash (but make a backup of your old BIOS!); if anything goes wrong, use the Fn+Esc method to recover.

@triturbo: Just checked, all SLICs in these BIOSes are from Acer, so they should not break activation. (SLIC2.1 BIOS can activate SLIC2.0 OS, just not vice-versa.)

@u6b36ef: Create a Phoenix crisis disk with an unmodded BIOS first. That should allow you to recover (given that I have not modified the bootblock).
    And yes, the 8920 mod is exactly the same as the 6920 (these 2 notebooks contain the exact same MXM structure, bit-for-bit).

About the disassembler: If you just want to see the MXM structure, merely search for "MXM_" in a hex editor in BIOSCOD02.ROM. Currently, there is no way to parse it programmatically - you need to read it with the help of the documentation. I'm planning to write a tool to dump the MXM structure found in a BIOS module in human-readable form later.
    However, fan temps switching should actually be managed by the ACPI AML, unless it is being controlled directly by the EC (as done on the 5720G).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.