Acer MXM BIOS Mods and discussion (was: x920G vs. 9600M GT)

Discussion in 'Acer' started by .NetRolller 3D, May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. u6b36ef

u6b36ef Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @ .NetRolller 3D

Looks good.
    Thankyou for replying.

Yes the mainboard in the 7720 is also the same in the 5715 too.
    I wondered though if I flash an 8920 with your modded SBIOS, will it smile back saying, "I'm a 6920 now".

Figuring it through, does it mean that the system information is independant of the SBIOS? It probably makes sense to you. When you look in CPU-Z's mainboard tab though, it shows the model name. In the case of the 6920, it's "6920" (ref lizzarddos screenshots). Also, when you look in the SBIOS (at boot (f2)) under the information tab, there's - 'Product name' - which states the laptop model. Then if the SBIOS is identical, doesn't it follow there must be a mainboard revision difference, or something different. Is it worth it to, or did you allready look at the 6920 and the 8920 SBIOS' code side by side.

(Additional info: I emailed to CPU-Z about a CPU. They replied that CPU-Z reads the CPU info from the CPU, not the SBIOS.) Maybe then CPU-Z reads the board info in the same way. Maybe that hints to a difference in board versions, eg in the 7720 and 5715, so CPU-Z and SBIOS can read different models.

U6b36ef.

2. .NetRolller 3D

.NetRolller 3D Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    <s>Not sure about PhoenixBIOS, but InsydeH2O (the one my 5720G has) uses a not-to-flash region in the BIOS flash chip (NVRAM) to store model identifiers & serial numbers. Phoenix likely does the same.</s> I take that back. Downloaded v1.16 for the 8920G, and it IS indeed different (though mostly single-byte changes, and of course, changes to the DMI strings). So, no, the 6920G BIOS probably doesn't fit the 8920G correctly, despite the motherboard being the same.

3. u6b36ef

Reputations:
    @ .NetRolller 3D

That makes perfect sense now.

- Phew. No worries this time though. (I'm not likely to flash eight-nine-twenny for a while; seems like no-one else has tried it.) It looks like you have added an individual modified sBIOS for the 8920, to your opening page; cool.

- Also you have added notes about other laptops, including the 9920, and truly the 9920 has some serious clash.
    If you have not allready seen it, take a look at this page/thread. http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/475196-9920g-gpu-options-9.html The crux of the matter so far is, it's only known to respond to one individual VBIOS, on one card.

Previously I wondered if the clash of the 9920 was related by the SBIOS to the unique inverter it uses. (The inverter is about 13cmx5cm.) Probably though it seems more likely the SBIOS now since you looked over it, and saw flaws.

Thanks again,
    U6b36ef.

- I had a look with a 'hex editor' at a SBIOS again, and still can only see hex. If you can explain if it's possible to view the SBIOS in English (higher level language), that would be most appreciated. (Additionally, maybe I can find what you need for the 9920/7520/5520 mod.)

4. TehSuigi

TehSuigi Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah, it should work on your machine.
    I'm not going to try it because I really have no need to upgrade; this thing's getting turned into a media center as soon as I get my next system.

5. .NetRolller 3D

Reputations:
    @u6b36ef: You first need to extract the BIOS using PhoenixTool or Phoenix BIOS Editor. Then, use a disassembler such as IDA on the extracted BIOSCODxx.ROM files.

6. u6b36ef

Reputations:
    @ .NetRolller 3D
    Aha! Thanks. I had tried Free-Hex-Editor-neo; the disassembler was not in the free version. I hadn't tried an extraction to get the file. I just opened it from an SBIOS file on my desktop, with a .bin reader, and free-Hex-etc. Adios MXM person.

U6b36ef

7. mookill

mookill Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    well my 8920G has died again.
    this is the 2nd 9500M card to fail, leaving the charger on over night seems to kill the VGA (anyone know why?)

I guess I could try the 'corrected' BIOS but it wont be for about a month, scouring ebay for a good deal on a 9600GT

-.NetRoller, does the 8920G BIOS have VT enabled?

8. .NetRolller 3D

Reputations:
    Probably overheating-related, or maybe your charger has inadequate input or output filtering, resulting in voltage spikes or ripple in the output. Check the charger for Fuhjyyus and other crapacitors.

And yes, the BIOS is VT-enabled (or has an option to enable VT).

EDIT: @TehSuigi: I see you updated MXM models and cards again. You *almost* got my nickname right this time. :) (That's a space, not an underscore.)

9. TehSuigi

TehSuigi Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Your name is what I say it is! Now sit down and take your kudos like man. ;)

10. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    @.NetRolller 3D - Great job, man. Quite a lot of people would be happy :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.