Acer MXM BIOS Mods and discussion (was: x920G vs. 9600M GT)

Discussion in 'Acer' started by .NetRolller 3D, May 4, 2011.

1. Yannickvl

Yannickvl Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Col5339,

Did you ever make it working in Linux? I'm also a happy 9920 owner but still on Windows, what I not want :)

2. lqthai

lqthai Newbie

Reputations:
    Could you explain in detail what steps you did, pls?

3. Mercy200

Mercy200 Newbie

Reputations:
    I hope there are still some people following this threat as my 9920 is playing tantrums with me.
    After the original 8600MGT card burning out, i purchased successively
    1. 9300M GS 512MB DDR2 [VG.9MG06.003]
    2. 9600M GT 512MB DDR3 [VG.9PG06.006]
    I did the required bios & vbios flashing, I have internal screen working properly, but then with either of these cards the laptop shuts down within 2 minutes. Regardless if I am in Windows or F2 Bios screen..the laptop just goes out after 2minutes. It's not a heating issue, cuz the temps are normal.
    Eventually I bought
    3. 8600M GT 256MB DDR2 [VG.8PG06.002]
    This time everything working properly, except for known looming heating issues.
    My question: What should I do to keep the 9300 and/or 9600 cards working without making my laptop shutdown after 30-120seconds? Is anyone familiar with this issue?

4. Yannickvl

Yannickvl Newbie

Reputations:
    The only time when my 9920 is powering off is when there is a heating issue.
    Maybe it's possible there is some little area on the chips that has't a good contact with the heat sinks? Then it's possible that the temps are normal on the temp sensor but not on another part of the chip.

The 9920 have troubles with heat at all. I bypass the fan speed regulator with as result the fan is always at 100%. A little noisy but I have still a working 9920 :)

5. Mercy200

Mercy200 Newbie

Reputations:
    Yannickvl: Thx for your reply! I thought bout that too. Thats why I put a fanboard underneath for testing purposes. Still powering off :( The fact the AA9920 is NEVER shutting down with a 8600MGT card makes me believe it can't be a heating problem, for the 8600MGT heats up much more/faster compared to the 9xxx series, and yet..both with the old and new 8600MGT card, I am never facing shutdowns.

6. Yannickvl

Yannickvl Newbie

Reputations:
    Hmmm then I'm affraid I don't know a solution. Was this happening also before you flash the vbios?

7. Mercy200

Mercy200 Newbie

Reputations:
    Yannickvl: Thats a good question. I will have to flash back the videocard (derived from a AA7730G) to see if the problem persists. However then I will lose internal screen again. I need to take the whole thing apart again to test this. Give me some time please.
    I am thinking in the direction that somehow the modded vbios and the modded sbios are not working together properly, although both the 9300MGS and the 8600MGT are sharing the same modded vbios and only with the 9300MGS the system hangs.