Acer laptops

Discussion in 'Acer' started by alosito, Mar 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alosito

alosito Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Could somebody please tell me how is the quality of Acer laptops these days? I am thinking of buying this Acer Aspire AS1712SMi:
    http://www.shopharmony.com/product.asp?file=PRICEGRABBER&i=AS1712SMIXPH

It is a laptop with P4-3.0, 800MHz system bus, 17'' monitor, 1MB L2 cache, 1GB RAM, 120GB hard drive, DVD+W priced at about $1,900. Could somebody please criticize it for me? I realize that it is very heavy and that the battery doesn't last too long, but I am not too concerned about it. Are there any other drawbacks of this laptop that I should be aware of?

2. Enkidu

Enkidu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nice specs and thats a good price for what your getting. Acer, while not to well known in North America, is well known in other parts of the world, especially Europe. A friend of mine uses a Acer, though not this model. The only thing I personally dislike is the graphics card in it, I'm not a big fan of Nvidia, but still, that should play almost anything on the market right now. If you don't need a long battery life, or portability, I'd say thats a good price for what you're getting, and a fine desktop replacement. Oh, and thats not a 3 ghz processor, but a 2.8 ghz, though I shouldn't make any difference performance wise.

3. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter -

Reputations:
    same opinion here, that's an awesome price for what you get. The three drawbacksAcer I see:

4. Acer just released this notebook this week so there are no reviews available and not tested on the market.
  5. Big, big, big. Over 15lbs.
  6. Battery life sucks.

but for a desktop replacement with superb specs you can't beat it.
Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
  • srdhkl

srdhkl Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    My very first laptop I bought was an Acer back in 1997 and to this day it still works (although I don't use it anymore) I think their quality is excellent.

I probably should have bought Acer again, but went with Dell and now I am paying for it. [:(]

• Slat

Slat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    <blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by abaxter

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  • alosito

Reputations:
    <blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by Slat
    Well put (as always). I would simply add that heat may be a factor; of course no one knows yet.
    <hr height='1' noshade id='quote'></font id='quote'></blockquote id='quote'>
    Yes, that is what I was wondering about too. With a hard drive that big for a laptop I wonder how loud and how hot this machine gets.

• Enkidu

Enkidu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, if heating turns out to be an issue you could always use a pinch of the money saved to just get one of these babies:

http://www.dealtime.com/xPO-Antec_ANTEC_NOTEBOOK_COOLER_W_2_X_DOUBLE_BALL_BEARING

This should solve any issues for just using it in a room, and I don't imagine the battery would last long enough for it to overheat if you were using it on the go ^_^ I can only hope that Acer would have made sure to include enough cooling (hopefully more heatsinks to cut down on the noise) so that it wouldn't overheat if used rigourusly. But like Slat said, there arn't any real reviews yet, so you'll just have to wait and see for now.

• alosito

Reputations:
    <blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by Enkidu

• Slat

Slat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They offer two models. The 1711 has a 2.8 Northwood and the 1712 has a 3.0 Prescott.

• wmmorrell

wmmorrell Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a AS1712SMi, purchased it about a week ago. So far I am totally satisfied with it. You are correct about the battery and the size/weight. The best run time on the battery I have achived is 1 hour 20 minutes and it is one of the biggest 17" laptops on the market. Most likely because it uses a standard desktop hard drive, processor and memory, though it nice when it come time to upgrade. The cooling sysyem is top notch, pretty extensive and resonably quite, so heat does not seem to be a problem, even on the palm rests. The only other drawbacks I see are the ac adapter is in keeping with the laptop (huge) and the battery requires a screwdriver to replace it, however it does come with a blanking piece so you can remove the battery completly, which is what I did since I rarely need the battery. Overall, if you are truely looking for a desktop replacement that time to time goes with you, I don't think you will find a better deal. If you need a case I found that the Targus TXL617 Backpack has plenty of room for the unit and accessories.

W.M.Morrell

Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.