1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Acer Laptop with Phoenix BIOS: BIOS MOD Request

Discussion in 'Acer' started by kizwan, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoInSTL

MoInSTL Notebook Consultant

Too bad it isn't compatible. Thanks for the reply though.

------------------
    Back in the day, plain old print screen on a parallel port with some printers worked. And there is the screen capture Kizwan uses. But he replied that it isn't compatible with newer BIOS. That's what I was asking about. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  2. BoxCat

BoxCat Notebook Enthusiast

Hey KIZWAN, i cant create bootable DOS DISK using ur tool to format my flash drive. it says that flash drive is write protected.. - witch is not, and i can write, delete flash files, or format using windows explorer, or other apps.
    Is there other way to create that DOS bootable disk? if there is, please tell me step by step. Thanx in advance :)

3. Just_a_Nick

Just_a_Nick Notebook Deity

Kizwan,

have you an idea, why there VGA bioses for Nvidia G73 and 7400 are indside the bios 1.19 for the Aspire 3820TG?

The models don't have any Nvidia GPU, they are only with the AMD Mobilitys and Intels i-core GK on the market.

Thank you

4. vnnhd

vnnhd Newbie

5. sunmorn69

sunmorn69 Notebook Enthusiast

At Kizwan: Ref 9810-6829 Sorry for being a hassle but I have a real messy Bios and am stuck with it.

Thx for your message and attention. The fact is that 9920 (same as 9810 except for CPU and having 2 HD) offers the AHCI/IDE option. May I ask you if you could have a look/compare 9920 Bios and 9810 1.21 No Raid? 9800,9810,and 9920 share/have all the same schematics and components except for CPU (they are all built by Inventec for Acer) and I had a conversation with a technician with confirmation that 9920 (or 9915 in some markets) is the same equipment that 9810-6829 except for CPU (and having two HD). I asked officially to repair this situation since if I boot in no quiet mode TPM errors and a stop with "Press key to continue" and the "2005 Q1 Bios" (two years before the machine was ever shipped on the market...).

ICH7 can do AHCI if you don'enable also the load of RAID mode.

While I expect attention from the manufacturer since bios for 9810 dates back to 2005, two years before selling the laptops. (I leaned tonite you can enable AHCI also in Win2k since ICH6 onwards...see Lenovo/IBM customer care link at Lenovo Support - Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver for Windows 2000 - ThinkPad for the benefit of all). I would appreciate if you could have a look into it. While I rely on the manufacturer reaction which I pressure on evident matters, As a backup solution (or primary one I rather say) I would appreciate your help. If it is a very time consuming matter I could consider to make a hire/donation (PM) to balance your effort? (don't mean to be rude but I am very stuck with a wonder machine much as Ferrary running as a 2CV on three wheels...). Sorry for having been blatant and you do wonders. I can accept what can't be done of course but 9920 demonstrates (same chipset) that has a decent bios and AHCI can be enabled. Maybe you can enable a SATA "non IDE" mode that the Intel matrix storage manager could accept to go AHCI 3Gb.. Sorry for asking again after some time and the length of msg but .... I had to reinstall (again) and I could patch Win2k setup routine to accept in native mode LBA very large HD (apparently impossible and a line of code is enough) so i can gather something but BIOS goes beyond my capacities, despite in the PC since VIC20 times. I understand it should not be my (or anyone) task to spend and have problems on alpha bios equipped machines (especially when over 2k USD) running as a dog (let alone Ferrari...) and waste time in crashes before 2 years later understanding the problem. Nor should be your duty, especially as a volunteer, to solve those problems. Visiting websites, schematics and seeing Inventec website where a basket of gold eggs is there I think gives a loud idea...

Sorry for the "blog". I rely on you, if you can. On my side I leaned a lesson that even looking close sometines you must consider many more things than normal. And IBM/Lenovo is still IBM/Lenovo...until now, especially for support. Regards and compliments for your activity. With esteem

Forgot the link to ICH7M Specs/registers by Intel to ease (if wished):
    http://www.intel.com/assets/pdf/datasheet/307013.pdf

I went through it and here a link:
    Feature capability can be read in D31:F0:Offset E4h

(from Page 50 and 196 of Intel ICH7 Datasheet)

6. sunmorn69

sunmorn69 Notebook Enthusiast

7. ribmarco

ribmarco Newbie

many thanks kizwan.
    I will try it as soon as possible and i shall inform you

8. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

That means your flash drive is faulty.

This is because usually a group of notebook models shares same BIOS.

9. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

I'll look into it. I'll unlock other hidden options as well. For the meantime make sure your notebook can recover corrupted BIOS with CRISIS disk.

Hi,

I just found out that maybe BIOS recovery on certain newer Acer notebook can be a bit different. Well...BIOS recovery should be straight forward on 5740G (comment on 5740G is in the next paragraph). The different behavior are:-
    • it might reboot after triggering the BIOS recovery mode (by pressing the hotkey). Just let it happen. It may reboot a couple of time before it successfully recovered corrupted BIOS.
    • the notebook turn off after triggering the BIOS recovery. Don't worry, just repeat the steps for BIOS recovery.

About BIOS recovery failure on 5740G & also to all notebooks, I believe this is caused by bad CRISIS disk. To prevent creating bad CRISIS disk, make sure to follow these precautions:-
    • create CRISIS disk in 32-bit OS, preferably Windows XP.
    • if using USB flash drive for CRISIS disk, make sure to use one with size no more than 2GB.
    • if using USB flash driver for CRISIS disk, make sure to use common brand like Apacer & Kingston.
    • use latest version of phlash16.exe or use the one came with original BIOS package. The latest, the better. Usually failed BIOS recovery is because of this.

10. papeles

papeles Notebook Enthusiast

I tried alot of versions, methods, OS for crisis disk making, bought 2more usb flashdrives (i have 6 now Y_Y) but it still doesnt read my usb anyways. And i can't do it on a cd.

Can some1, PLEASE, make a video of using a crisis disk on a aspire 5740g?

11. prikolchik

prikolchik Notebook Evangelist

Did you try removing the HDD and DVD drive before trying the recovery?

12. papeles

Yes. Removed all memory related stuff (mem card, hdd, cd drive and even 1 ram xD) but it didn't help. ;x

13. BoxCat

BoxCat Notebook Enthusiast

actually its not ._. why then other apps can usit it and format it?

Anyway, can i use a CD-RW to create DOS startup disk and do all this? if yes, how?

14. jduser7

jduser7 Newbie

Hi,

While the switchable graphics is not an option for my laptop (Samsung R580), it is still interesting to see what options can be exposed in the bios.
    I finally found the bios driver download location.
    http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/NP-R580-JSB1US
    Firmware tab on top contains the driver for my laptop that can be downloaded right there.

15. seeker_moc

seeker_moc Spes mea in Deo est

I bricked my BIOS a few months back, and couldn't figure out why the CRISIS recovery USB stick wasn't working either. The 32-bit OS ended up being the key. The program used to create the CRISIS disk just doesn't work on 64-bit Win7, though it did end up working great on a 32-bit Vista machine, and I was able to recover. Most of the guides I've seen on how to do a CRISIS recovery fail to mention this.

16. papeles

The most anoying problem is that sometimes some laptops just don't read the usbs and i know of people who made crisis disks on win7 x64 and they worked fine.

17. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

@kizwan, I have a question about Phoenix bios mods for GPU support.

For example say you have 2 notebooks that are similar (e.g. M17x R1 & R3), can you take the part of the bios responsible for GPU support from the later model and put it into the old models bios?

Is it similar to CPU support bios mods?

Would the GPU support part of the bios be in one of the modules? Could you extract and module from one bios and import it into another bios?

I have Phoenix Bios Editor v2.2.13 working with the m17x R1 bios (though there are some unsupported modules).

18. JSS540

JSS540 Newbie

Hi,

I recently used the SYMCMOS tool to enable Intel-VT-x on my sony vaio. Luckily, i found the register I had to change for my laptopmodel online, so everything went great :)

Now I'm trying to do the same on my Acer Aspire 6530G. It's not an intel, but AMD, so maybe that's why i have the following problem:
    I followed kizwan's tutorial and searched in my BIOSCOD6.dasm file for "mov ecx,0x3a" but couldn't find it. I then searched the BIOSCOD1,2,3,4,5,7 files but I also couldn't find it.

Can somebody help me out with this? I need to enable the virtualization technology. If anybody can find out which register I have to change (or rebuild bios or something to unhide the AMD-VT option) I would be eternally grateful! :eek:

INFO:
    Acer Aspire 6530G
    AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-70
    My BIOS version is v0.3216
    BIOS Download link: http://global-download.acer.com/GDF...3=Aspire 6530G&OS=V10&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=EMEA_3

19. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Sorry, I can't extract the BIOS image from the EXE file.

EDIT: Please ignore my previous post. I can extract the BIOS image. However, there are two BIOS images & I don't know which one is yours; 01KVB.wph or 11JBB.wph. Both files are not identical.

20. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

It is best to create it in 32-bit OS. Even though it work for some people (created in 64-bit OS), it doesn't mean it will work for you too. To eliminate CRISIS disk as a possible factor for failed BIOS recovery, just create it in 32-bit OS. This way you can focus to only three possible factor:-
    1) wrong version or incompatible phlash16.exe
    2) wrong combination of key to trigger Boot Block BIOS recovery
    3) wrong type of media for CRISIS disk

Can you give me the link to R1 & R3 BIOS? I have a copy of zfactor's BIOS for M17 which I believe an older Alienware. There is no option ROM for GPU in this BIOS. GPU in all Alienware M17 are MXM card, right? If it is MXM card, system BIOS will not control it. The VBIOS on the GPU itself is responsible for the GPU functionality.

Only notebook with integrated GPU will have VBIOS integrated in system BIOS. It is called option ROM. This also true for discrete GPU but integrated on the motherboard.

Yes, I can copy option ROM for GPU from one BIOS to another BIOS.

BTW, you can ignore the "unsupported module" message. Just a reminder, Phoenix BIOS Editor is known to build incomplete/bad BIOS image sometime. The workaround is to re-build BIOS image 3 to 4 time & compare all 3 or 4 images. If all of 'em identical, that means you have good image.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.