Acer Laptop with Phoenix BIOS: BIOS MOD Request

Discussion in 'Acer' started by kizwan, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iJo09

iJo09 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OK! Start with the original 1.3813 BIOS... Modify the Splash Screen, Add the Intel VT option, update the Broadcom PXE...and what are the other things that can be enabled in that BIOS?
    BTW I found an update for my GeForce 8600M GT's VBIOS. Mine is version 60.84.62.00.29. The updated version is 60.84.62.00.39.
    A scary thing for me: and if then the graphics card won't work anymore?

EDIT: The updated VBIOS is totally incompatible with my 8600M GT. I verified it with Nibitor. I have a question: What is SLIC 2.1? Is it really necessary for Windows 7? If so, then update it! ;-)

2. Jets1830

Jets1830 Newbie

Reputations:
    I managed to run OSX Snow Leopard on my Extensa 5630Z.

I used Snow Leopard Universal v3.6 Build 10.6.2 DVD, installed smoothly. Dualbooting with Win 7

Only that sleep mode isn't working, installed with Sleep Enabler kext, still a no go, I just need a modified DSDT, might get it working.

3. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    I will post the modified BIOS image when it ready. For the mean time, please make sure your notebook can recover corrupted BIOS with CRISIS disk.

4. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    I will help you on this. You're familiar with Chameleon DSDT override right? Now, I need to know the BIOS version you're currently using. I'm going to extract the DSDT table from the BIOS image.

5. Jets1830

Jets1830 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm using BIOS v1.36

6. DavyGT

DavyGT Overclocker

Reputations:
    Hey kizwan,
    I found out how the 266mhz overclock is archived after messing around with the PLL and it's data sheet. The overclock is done through changing some registers in the PLL.
    Byte 0 bits 7 to 5 report the status of these registers called FS_C, FS_B, FS_A. They are read only of course. For 200mhz, we them reporting as 0-1-0. For 266mhz, it's 0-0-0. If we can change the appropriate data in the BIOS, then maybe, we can have 333mhz by setting 1-0-0.
    Edit: This is using the SLG8SP513v PLL.

7. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    Thanks for the information but it is too advanced for me. :) The difficult part is to find the correct register/address (the one which control the Bus Speed). For example enabling VT, we know that we need to find MSR control which is "mov ecx,0x3a". When we know where the MSR control is, it will be easy for us to find the correct register & toggle the bit from 0 to 1 (to enable the VT feature).

I already look into M11x BIOS but I'm afraid there are no option to overclock the Bus Speed from 266MHz to 333Mhz. The closest thing is Frequency Ratio which supposedly allow you to change internal CPU frequency multiplier. But, since this option have known issue (can render computer unbootable), I'm not going to unlocked it. I'm afraid the final modified BIOS image will only contains unlocked menus which is not related to overclock at all.

8. Just_a_Nick

Just_a_Nick Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @DavyGT
    Try SetFSB or have a look at your SMbus with R&W Everything

9. acid00

acid00 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

i've an Acer 5920G Notebook. Can you mod the Bios with SLIC 2.1 and unlock all options in the setup, please ?

Sorry for my bad english.

Best reguards
    acid

10. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    The PLL chip in M11x is not supported by SetFSB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.