Acer Laptop with Phoenix BIOS: BIOS MOD Request

Discussion in 'Acer' started by kizwan, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssorgatem

ssorgatem Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Original BIOS behaves as it's expected. v1.3303t doesn't have any additional menu items, it only has the AMD-V set to enabled by default (maybe that account fro the trailing "t" in the version number?).

2. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    Is this mean original BIOS is behave normally? Or similar with my modified BIOS image?

3. ssorgatem

Reputations:
    Yeah, sorry I didn't put it clear :).

It doesn't stop & beep & complain about "strongROM is not functional or is not installed" at every boot.

Also, no extra menu options, disk set to IDE and AMD-V disabled.

1.3303t is the same, but with AMD-V enabled.

4. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    I see. :) I have disabled the download link for now.

Have you able to get CRISIS disk working on your notebook? I see you use flash drive. Try it with floppy disk, using USB floppy drive. My attempt to extract phlash16.exe from the 1.3303t package failed.

5. ssorgatem

Reputations:

I attach phlash16.exe from the 1.3303t package (extracted via freedos inside virtualbox).

It doesn't seem to work from a flash drive, though. I don't have a usb floppy drive, and I don't have any floppy disk either, and they seem to be a bit expensive just for this. Of course, I would change my mind if my lappie bricked...

When I have time I'll try to dd the floppy recovery image to the hdd. Or even creating a floppy image of a crisis disk and then dd'ing it to the hdd, but I have to backup first the recovery partition and the partition table.

Attached Files:

6. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    This issue seems only happen with HBL50/HBL51. Your conclusion based only on one computer model. It hardly to be overall conclusion. From the look of it, it kinda a "header" or "signature" implemented to BIOS image by manufacturer. I have seen it before but not like this. I doubt this kind of implementation will be use on other models. I appreciate the info you give regarding the HBL50/HBL51 issue with modified BIOS image. I'll put it in my notebook.
    Second build also produced identical BIOS image file. So this eliminate build problem. I can't guarantee you but by following the procedure (you posted earlier) it should correct the missing bytes. Be careful not to increase the BIOS image file size. Remember, it "replace", not "add". Let me know the result.

7. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    I doubt it will work with HDD though. I recommended you to prepare before it happen. :) Not all computer can recover from corrupted BIOS with CRISIS disk.

8. ZakMcRofl

ZakMcRofl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The modified version of your bios works. Please remove the original download link.
    The VT option is visible and I set it to "Enabled" but Securable still says "Locked on". Any ideas? Do I need to reset the bios to its defaults?

EDIT: Reset to defaults did not help either.

9. ssorgatem

Reputations:
    In the worst of the cases, there's warranty :). And although Packard-Bell might be able to tell wether it boots or not because a bad BIOS flash, here (Spain) is the seller, and not the manufacturer, who is obliged to meet the warranty of the products they sell (although they themselves have a minimum 1-year warranty from manufacturers). So I would probably have a replacement netbook before they notice. It's not a good situation for sellers, and my plan is evil, I know...

"Locked on" means it's enabled and locked.

Try to install a 64-bit guest under virtualbox, or find a test app by MS which tells you if you can run Hyper-V.

Securable said for me always "yes", regardless of virtualization being enabled or disabled in BIOS.

10. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    I already disabled the download link (at mediafire) when you report the missing bytes earlier. So, you just:-
    - open original BIOS image, copy first 80kb, from offset 0x00 to 0x14000 (length 0x14000)
    - open modified BIOS image, replaced first 80kb, from offset 0x00 to 0x14000 (length 0x14000)
    right?
    I will update the download link once I got the confirmation from you. Thank you for taking the risk to test the modified BIOS image. :D I appreciate it. :)

When you enabled the VT, did you turn OFF & ON your notebook? You are required to do so for the VT to be enabled. If you already did, try install 64bit OS using VMware or you can try running XP Mode in windows 7. As ssorgatem said earlier, Securable always say "Yes" or "Locked ON" either VT is disbaled or not. It just notify you that your CPU have VT capability.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.