Acer Laptop with Phoenix BIOS: BIOS MOD Request

Discussion in 'Acer' started by kizwan, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiwi

chiwi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    the 115 please thanks have a nice day

2. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    ####################################################
    (Update 4 May 2011)
    This is modified BIOS for TravelMate 2490. It's based on BIOS v3.02.
    TravelMate 2490 BIOS v3.02 VT MOD.rar
    (MD5: 5AEE493F22604B9A33442B53AB8E9E28)

(Update 10 April 2011)
    This is modified BIOS for TravelMate 2490. It's based on BIOS v3.01.
    TravelMate 2490 BIOS v3.01 VT MOD.rar
    (MD5: 9CAF50582A368C6470AF307DAA88FE7C)
    Use at your own risk!
    [​IMG]
    ####################################################

This is modified BIOS image with SLIC 2.1 for Acer Aspire 5652. It is based on BIOS v3.60.
    [​IMG]
    Compatible with these models:-
    Make sure you know how to recover corrupted BIOS before proceeding. Test the CRISIS disk on your computer first OR use CRISIS disk to flash your BIOS. This way you will know either your computer can recover from corrupted BIOS or not. I will not responsible for any problem. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  3. ssorgatem

ssorgatem Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can see too more extra menus, not just the IDE/AHCI one: keyclick, summary screen, numlock, etc. (all the ones visible in the emulation, except the virtualization one). Are they explicitly unlocked or a side effect of unlocking the interesting ones?

That warning about japanese strings also appeared when I replaced the DSDT (both in 1.3302 and 1.3303t), but I haven't had any problems with those BIOSes.

Also, I noticed that I can't re-modify BIOSes built with BIOS Editor, but I've been able to modify and rebuild you modified version, so it turns out that either I'm doing something wrong when rebuilding, or it's a fault specific to my setup.

Turmlos replaced the default Athlon L110 processor with a more powerful one. If I find one of those I'll probably do it too :p

Also, thank you for giving us your time :)

4. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    The extra menus automatically unhidden when I unlock the VT & AHCI menus. This is original BIOS Main menu in hex editor:-
    Location 026C (red) is where I put the VT menu while location 0280 (blue) is where I put AHCI menu. This is the BIOS Main menu after modification:-
    Pay attention to the first part (dark green) & second part (indigo) are actually not "connected" (00 00) with each other in original BIOS Main menu. But after modification both section connected with each other. This is the reason why you see extra menus in the modified BIOS. :D

BTW, location 0288 (bold) is actually "Quiet Boot" menu. This means you will have two "Quiet Boot" menu in Main section. I removed the second one by replacing it with "blank function" (C5 0F) - that is why you see blank space after "Summary Screen" menu & before "QuickBoot Mode" menu.

(P/S: Location also known as offset. Maybe I should write offset instead. :D)

5. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    UPDATE (3 August 2010): Modified BIOS ver1.15 R2
    UPDATE (13 August 2010): Modified BIOS ver1.16
    This is modified BIOS image for Aspire 8920g. It based on BIOS ver1.15.
    - SLIC 2.1
    - Virtualization menu
    [​IMG]
    Aspire 8920g BIOSv1.15 SLIC2.1 VT MOD.rar

Make sure you know how to recover corrupted BIOS before proceeding. Test the CRISIS disk on your computer first OR use CRISIS disk to flash your BIOS. This way you will know either your computer can recover from corrupted BIOS or not. I will not responsible for any problem. Good luck.

6. chiwi

chiwi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thank you very much greetings

7. ZakMcRofl

ZakMcRofl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for your effort!
    However I noticed the bios starts with lots of FF code while the original has normal code there. Last time I flashed a bios like that, it fully bricked my 5652 (no power at all, not recoverable). Could you please double-check that this bios is valid and that the first bytes (kilobytes) are correct?
    Cheers, Zak

Update: its about 150Kb of FF's
    Which tools did you use?

8. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    I have put notes at post #191 where the download link is located about the known issue you & Turmlos encounter with it.

I want to fix it but can you or Turmlos confirm that the original BIOS image is behaving the same or not? Does BIOS v1.3303t also have menu to set SATA to AHCI mode?

9. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    I'll look into it later. The image is properly build without any error or warning. You said your notebook can recover corrupted BIOS. AFAIK, normal flash will not touch BootBlock section in the BIOS, which will be needed for CRISIS disk to works.
    EDIT: Indeed the file look suspicious. It doesn't happen after upgrading SLIC 2.0 to 2.1 but it happen after unlocking the VT menu. I'll look into it right away.

I use Phoenix BIOS SLIC Tool v1.27, Phoenix BIOS Editor Pro v2.2.1.3 & hex editor (HxD).

10. ZakMcRofl

ZakMcRofl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well I previously flashed a supposed SLIC bios from MDL, made by a renowned bios modder. It showed similar abnormalities.
    After flash, the laptop was dead. And I mean really dead, you push the power button and nothing happens at all. No lights, no fan, nothing.
    I ended up sending the board to a company that desoldered and flashed the bios chip. After that, it worked again.

In conclusion: not every bios mod is recoverable, I learned that the hard way. Even since I flashed all kinds of ed up bios files (like the 3.66 mod mentioned above) but was always able to recover. However those bios files did not have the weird missing bytes.

I found some moe infos:
    Source: http://forum.notebookreview.com/ace...machine-acer-aspire-9420-a-2.html#post6119422

Edit: I followed those instructions but I'll wait with flashing until I hear back from you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.