Acer Laptop with Phoenix BIOS: BIOS MOD Request

Discussion in 'Acer' started by kizwan, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssorgatem

ssorgatem Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mmm, I've tried it and I thought I got it to flash, but it didn't. It reads from the flash drive for a while, then stops and does nothing more. Mmm maybe dd'ing the flash drive to hdd? I'll try it (i'll have to backup my partition table).

I've taken the risk and i've tested the modified BIOS. First, thank you very much for your work :).

I've noticed the following with the BIOS (it basically works):

- The VT menu doesn't appear in settings. Instead, there is an empty line.

- The IDE/AHCI option has only two possible values: "IDE" or "AHCI".

- When booting, after splashscreen but before any bootloader or f12 boot menu shows up, it beeps and complains about bad cmos checksum, "cmos updated" and "strongROM is not installed or non functional". Then I have to press F1 to resume the booting process, or F2 to enter setup. This happens every time.

As AMD-V menu option didn't appear in setup, I changed it's default value to enabled in BIOS editor and reflashed; then I had AMD-V correctly working, but still the annoying complaint about bad CMOS checksum and strongROM, which I suspect to be caused because of something enabled which was previously (in other BIOSes) disabled and which isn't implemented on this mainboard (again, it's just a guess).

I also got a newer BIOS file, from a guy who complained to Gateway about AMD-V being disabled and they sent him a BIOS with AMD-V enabled by default (here's the link: )http://alanng.com/BIOS%20v3303t.zip). It's version number is higher than the only one available for download (from packard-bell, 0.3302, and this one is 0.3303t). I tried it in my dot m/a and it works as expected, enabling AMD-V. It even shows the packard-bell splashscreen at boot.

The link I posted has the file as sent by gateway, that means in a bundeld exe which has also winphlash (a newer version too). I attach the BIOS file alone in this post(yeas, it's a .rar inside a .zip. The forum won't let me upload a .rar...).

I'm now struggling to extract the "phlash16.exe" or whatever is in the "DOS flash" file from BIOS update archive; maybe wth that the recovery works.

Attached Files:

2. Turmlos

Turmlos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you for posting this, along with your findings with kizwan's BIOS. I'll give it a try soon.

That's what I tried, and it still didn't work. I'm planning on experimenting with it again later. The "DOS flash" archive uses a file named BIOS1.WPH, even though the included Phlash16 states that BIOS.WPH is the default file name used for flashing, and I can't find a reference to BIOS1.WPH anywhere else (see CUSTOMER.TXT). I'm at a loss.

3. ssorgatem

Reputations:
    Both update files, from packard-bell and from gateway, are named starting with ZA8*. I seems that our lappies are all the same as this one.

I tried running the DOS update file in dosbox, and it generates a PHLASH16.EXE... but it never ends (I killed dosbox when PHLASH16.exe was 300Mb!.).

Also, PHLASH16 can also accept command line arguments overriding the defaults "BIOS.WPH" file flash, see here: PHLASH16.exe command line parameter | panticz.de

4. Turmlos

Reputations:
    I just flashed your BIOS image. I'm having the same problems as ssorgatem, although I do have a VT menu. It might have something to do with flashing v1.3303t before flashing your image, but I doubt it. The StrongROM error is pretty annoying though. I didn't get it until I saved some BIOS changes and rebooted.

5. ssorgatem

Reputations:
    Also, I'm not entirely sure that the AHCI/IDE setting does do what it is supposed to do. Any reliable way to test it?

In linux I can see at some point "AHCI enabled", but in windows it uses IDE drivers for the hdd (idk a better way to look for it under windows).

Mmm, I'll try to flash 0.3303t clearing cmos, and then the medded BIOS and see if I get still the strongROM error.

6. Turmlos

Reputations:
    It does work.

In Linux, if the ahci driver is built into the kernel, AHCI will be force enabled on SB600 southbridges regardless of the BIOS setting. If you set "SATA Class ID" to "IDE" in BIOS, you will see a line like this in your kernel log:
    Code:
    [    0.124355] pci 0000:00:12.0: set SATA to AHCI mode
    If you set "SATA Class ID" to "AHCI", you will not such a line.

As for Windows, I don't use it on this machine, so I don't know what happens there.

7. ssorgatem

Reputations:
    Ah, now it makes sense. If linux overrides the BIOS setting, then a thing less to worry about.

I also mailed the acerhdf guys to add support for BIOSes 1.3302 and 1.3303t for both Packard-Bell dot ma and Gateway LT31 (they only have to be included in a list of models + BIOS versions).

At the moment I'm using 1.3303t + fixed dsdt, and it seems to work well o far: AMD-v and cpu freqüency scaling.

8. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    Glad to hear it flashed successfully. :D

I didn't change any setting in BIOS image. I just unlocked the two menus; "Processor Assisted Virtualization" & "SATA Class ID". All settings are default settings in the original BIOS image. Can you try flash with the original BIOS image? See if the same issue occurs. PBE produce a warning "DBCS (Japanese) strings are not editable!" while opening your BIOS images but I don't think it is a problem.

It is normal for such unlocked menu doesn't appear in BIOS if the hardware is not supported. In your case, I don't know why it doesn't appear. However, as you already did, you can turn VT ON by modifying the default value from Disabled to Enabled. Does VT menu visible in BIOS ver 1.3303t? As for the "SATA Class ID", it only listed IDE & AHCI as an option in BIOS image.

@Turmlos, what is your processor spec?

9. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    Hi chiwi, there is a latest version which is v1.16 available at Acer website. If you want the latest version, please provide me RW-Everything report. If you decided to stick with v1.15, I'll proceed with it. Its all up to you. I'll wait for your answer. :)

10. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    All required files already collected. It will be available soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.