Acer Laptop with Phoenix BIOS: BIOS MOD Request

Discussion in 'Acer' started by kizwan, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    If you are interested in learning how to enable VT without modifying BIOS, please read post #1 here:-
    Acer Laptop with Phoenix BIOS: Enable Virtualization (Test Machine: Acer Aspire 9420)

If you want to learn how to modify BIOS image to unlock hidden menu, please read post #2 in the same thread. I already put the link to original thread by rbjack in the post. I'm not very good in writing step-by-step guide but please read post #37 in the same thread. You should be able to figure out how I locate the offsets by comparing the notes in the post with Acer Aspire 5570/5570z v3508 original BIOS image.

Good luck. :D

2. chiwi

chiwi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ACPI bios:MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    ACPI=http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YWAOF146
    sorry wrong name of the file I meant 8920G
    thanks

3. ZakMcRofl

ZakMcRofl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Tested by ZakMcRofl on Aspire 5652, flash ok but screen stays dark. Had to recover via USB floppy drive.

@lloco73 can you please add this to the first post? I wonder why there are no PM's on this forum...

Edit: I analyzed the broken 3.66 mod. There is a typo in this line:
    updated VGA Bios 7600Go (v5.73.22.55.03 --> v5.73.22.22.33) G73M
    correct:
    updated VGA Bios 7600Go (v5.73.22.55.03 --> v5.73.22.55.33) G73M

The new bios some differences:
    - higher memory clock rate (375Mhz instead of 350Mhz)
    - higher Thrtl voltage (1,1V instead of 1,0V)

Maybe those are responsible for the black screen / lockup...

Edit2: I used the PhoenixTool.exe from MDL to insert the modified bios into the otherwise untouched original bios and it was enough to cause the blank screen. Then I used Nibitor to adjust the bios settings to the original GPU bios, did not help either. So the 05.73.22.55.33 is simply not compatible with Acer Aspire 5652.

@Modders: If you could replace OPROM5.ROM (G73 Rom) in the 3.66 already posted with the original, I believe you could save a lot of time and it should make the bios work. I tried to do that but got size errors that I can't handle.

4. ZakMcRofl

Reputations:
    ok, read and understood.

I successfully recovered from the broken 3.66 Acer 5650 bios mod so I have a working CRISIS recovery floppy.

Here's my request:
    Original bios:
    http://global-download.acer.com/GDF...p3=Aspire 5650&OS=V10&LC=de&BC=Acer&SC=EMEA_8

If possible:
    - unhide Intel VT menu (priority)
    - update to Acer SLIC v2.1 from slic 2.0

Bonus (not important, maybe for others):
    - unhide any menus you can find (SATA AHCI, Speedstep. any "harmless" menu)

RW-Everything-Report and original bios here:
    http://www.multiupload.com/MOAB2NVNRS

@Modders: See EDIT2 in the post above, if you could replace OPROM5.ROM (G73 Rom) in the 3.66 already posted with the original, I believe you could save a lot of time and it should make the bios work. I tried to do that but got size errors that I can't handle.

5. lloco73

lloco73 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Added to the first post

:)

6. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    If you can't wait, contact the original modder to do the job for you.

7. Turmlos

Turmlos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Firstly, thank you very much for your work. I'm looking forward to testing it out. Getting the "Advanced NB Options" section working at a later time would be great, since I think SidePort memory is causing some problems with the xf86-video-ati driver when using KMS under Linux.

Unfortunately, I can't get CRISIS to work. The Fn+Esc sequence works, but the Phlash16 (1.6.5.4) included in the package doesn't seem to support the flash chip found on the LT31 (I confirmed this by trying it on a different DOS image). If I replace it with a working version (1.7.0.14), it still doesn't flash. Therefore, I'm a bit leery of flashing your BIOS onto it. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Yes, I replaced the CRISIS BIOS file. :)

8. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    ssorgatem claimed (post #167) that he can recover corrupted BIOS on Gateway LT31xx. Maybe you could ask him how. :) I'm totally agree that you should worried to flash the modified BIOS. I'm myself has brick my Acer Aspire 9420 a couple of time. Once you get CRISIS disk working, you can proceed flashing BIOS with modified image.

@ssorgatem, can you share the procedure to recover corrupted BIOS for Gateway LT31xx?

9. ZakMcRofl

Reputations:
    Hi kizwan, I can wait just fine, I just wanted to do some research of my own instead of sitting around and being a consumer only. No harm in trying to learn new things, right?
    I'm looking forward to your mod.

10. chiwi

chiwi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.