Acer Laptop with Phoenix BIOS: BIOS MOD Request

Discussion in 'Acer' started by kizwan, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Espionage724

Espionage724 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I hear that Locked On is what means that VT is enabled, thats what I read on here anyway. I don't actially know though.

2. ssorgatem

ssorgatem Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've tried other tools and they say my processor supports AMD-V but it's disabled in the BIOS, so "Yes" may mean my processor supports it, but it's not enabled...

3. Turmlos

Turmlos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would like to second this request.

An AHCI menu option would also be nice bonus, along with an Advanced menu which seems to have disappeared in later BIOS versions. These missing menus can be seen here: MADSHRIMPS - Hardware Reviews ,Crazy Projects, Modding Tutorials and Overclocking

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

4. tea666

tea666 Newbie

Reputations:
    hi,chief
    i read through this post,seems nobody request the mod bios for acer aspire 6920g, the latest one is here:(http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.16_A_A.zip?acerid=634079345714515581&Step1=Notebook&Step2=Aspire&Step3=Aspire 6920G&OS=V10&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=EMEA_27) 1.16 on 27/04/1020.

Requests:
    if possible:
    - unhide Intel VT menu
    - unhide SATA AHCI menu(seems has already)
    - unhide Speedstep menu
    - unhide any "harmless" menu
    - update SLIC v2.1 from slic 2.0
    - if can addin the control of the fan speed

just check it out first, if this job done already, can anybody show me the link?if not help us with pls, (if needed i'll do the RW-Everything later),thanks a lot.

5. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I'm busy lately, so it will take sometime to modify your BIOS. I will let you know when it ready. Maybe in this week. For the time being, make sure you can recover corrupted BIOS with CRISIS disk.

6. santofren

santofren Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Guys.,

I own Acer 5740 Laptop, tell me is it safe in updating the Bios with Latest Version? and what precautions should i take while updating the Bios.

Thanks in advance,
    Santhosh M

7. ZakMcRofl

ZakMcRofl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks, I hope that refers to my "less agressive Acer Aspire 5652" request as well. The available bios semi-bricked my 5652 and I ordered a USB floppy drive to recover.
    Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to it.
    By the way, is it possible to make it support other Wifi cards as well? I believe it checks for certain PCI device IDs and only enables those unless you put tape on one of the PCI pins.

8. Espionage724

Espionage724 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Really? Because I have a broadcom wireless card and it isn't detected at all (I have 2 of the same card basically, broadcom 4318, the 1 that came with my laptop, and the other is a spare HP card ordered online. The HP one doesn't work nor is it detected at all)

So maybe it could be enabled somehow?

9. ZakMcRofl

ZakMcRofl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, I did a quick search to remind me of the process. It is PIN 20 (google it).
    There seem to be better solutions now, at least for Thinkpads:
    Problem with unauthorized MiniPCI network card - ThinkWiki

I'll look those up so maybe a bios mod is not necessary for that one. But enabling VT and adding SLIC would be awesome.

10. ssorgatem

ssorgatem Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No problem ;) we can for sure wait a week. It's less than never :)

Mmm, I was looking at modifying the BIOS myselfs, and have found a lot of guides to enable intel vmx (looking for 0x3A in the disassembled BIOS), but I have no clue as to what to look for in order to find the amd-v enable bit.

I've read that it's in the 12th bit in the EFER MSR (EFER.SMVE)... but I can't understand it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.