1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Acer Hidden Recovery Partition

Discussion in 'Acer' started by baz999, Feb 7, 2005.

1. SpaceDog

SpaceDog Newbie

Hi
    I have a Acer 3820TG with windows 7 premium, the HDD is not working any more so I have replaced it with a new one, I got an backup of the PQSERVICE partition and have restored it BUT there is no mbrwrwin.exe or mbrwrdos.exe to restore the MBR, can anyone upload mbrwrwin.exe and rtmbr.bin for me?

2. LowTechMan

LowTechMan Newbie

Hello Forum, this is my first post!!!!

This is my method for cloning the acer recovery partition using a linux based solution.
    1. Using Easeus Recovery clone the Acer Factory Drive to the new one. If the new drive is smaller than Acer factory drive just continue. It will tell you that the drive is unrecognizable continue. I only cloned from a larger to a smaller
    2. Copy sector by sector until for some arbitrary size that would have enclose the recovery partition and then stop the copy process and reboot. The Atl-F10 option will work at this point but will fail as the hard drive partition might be in an inconsistent state.
    3. Using CutePartition Manager examine the partition table information and delete the windows System partition which would be the largest on those listed.
    4. Reboot Alt-F10 and restore your OS.

All the tools I used are available on UBCD download at : Ultimate Boot CD - Overview

3. McAldo

McAldo Newbie

Hi everybody.
    I have an old acer with Win7 OEM. Years ago I cloned the disk, including the recovery partition, to a bigger size one, using Win7 software.
    Recently I had problems, possibly a virus, loads of blue screens. ESET and malwarebite cannot finish scanning without the system crashing, my only restore point will fail to, well, restore, so I guess it must be some virus.
    Safe modality works better bust still will crash at some point.

Anyway, I backed up my data with an ubuntu live distro and wished to reinstall from the recovery partition.
    From windows, it wont allow me saying that the disk structure is not the original one (currently there are 4 partitions, system boot,recovery, operating system and another logical one added by me).
    From the boot recovery tool, it won't allow me because it won't find a file in volume M:
    If I set the recovery partition to boot through Linux Gparted, it will load but then stop complaining that bootmgr is not found, press ctrl alt del to restart.

I tried having a look into the recovery partition with diskpart. The partition type was already 07, is that correct or is it supposed to be 25?
    Anyway, after unhiding it I saw only 4 files: recycle bin, system voluyme information (Locked), napp7.Log and restore.dat (0kb).

I have spent 2 hours looking here and elsewhere for solutions, but it seems like they don't appply here. There are no files in the partition to copy to C: or else, the missing bootmgr is not in the windows partition so I am not sure how to restore it, I understand M: is supposed to be the recovery partition, but there are no setting files to change accordingly, just a log file that indeed mention operations on M:

I have no cd driver, no recovery cds or other copies of windows apart of the oem on my laptop.
    Any advice?

4. Maro12

Maro12 Notebook Consultant

Did all your files and programs were deleted after you restores the OS in this way you mentioned?

5. dating

dating Newbie

6. lefty44

lefty44 Newbie

Hi J.
    Do you still have all the Acer recovery disk?

7. ba073

ba073 Newbie

Hey Combatmedic2179

Did you have a copy of the - PQService partition for an Acer 5536

pls mail it to me, or i happely pay for sending a cd, via paypal like

Kind regards
    ba073

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  8. ba073

ba073 Newbie

9. fusiondust

fusiondust Newbie

I've taken the battery out of my C110 tablet years ago, and am going to set out to try and restore from the recovery CD's onto a fresh drive. I was never able to get the recovery disks to work at all. 99% of the links on this forum are invalid with regards to the app that allows you customize a recovery disk and PQ partition magic versions will not work on Win 7.
    I'll spend some time on this and am open to any suggestions on where to find recovery tools. I have all necessary hardware. This should be a good nostalgic project and if it fails, I've always had good luck booting from Ubuntu's net install (mini.iso) install disk.
    Regards to everyone on this long running topic.