1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Acer Ethos AS8951G/AS5951G Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Shyte, Jun 17, 2011.

1. eraddd

eraddd Notebook Enthusiast

Have any of you got the new acer updater for the epowertray.exe since Windows keeps saying it's not compatible with the new updates?

Wondering if it forces you to do a bios 1.13 update. Also wondering if it has any improvement. Any help would be useful.

Cheers guys!

2. GalaxySII

GalaxySII Notebook Deity

its just because they dont suppor it anymore..

3. wannesd

wannesd Newbie

Hi,

I would also like to contribute a great find I did (for 5951g, may also work for 8951g): a bios with a lot of features unlocked, based on the enwest bios available on the acer site.
    [UNLOCKED] Acer 5951G-6879

Now, I was hoping this would include an option for setting the power state of the usb ports during sleep. Sadly, I haven't found that option yet.

What I would like to do is wake the laptop with external keyboard (used as a desktop replacement, with a 27" screen and external kb/mouse)
    But the usb ports power down in sleep, making it impossible to resume from standby via usb. Anybody had any luck with this?

4. GalaxySII

GalaxySII Notebook Deity

does it works on 8951G?

5. Katanyavich

Katanyavich Newbie

Just a bit of an update/progress report on my AS8951G.

After 14 months of continuous use, and after having been 'side-graded' to Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
    in January, the machine has yet to give me the slightest hint of any trouble.

The overheating issue I posted about a few months ago (and which can/will happen to any laptop)
    was fixed with a blast of high-pressure air. The problem hasn't reoccurred as the fan/vents get a
    blast of HP air once a month or so.

Future plans are to fit an SSD, and another 8 GB of RAM.

I really can't speak highly enough of this lovely little (???) machine. It's certainly not going to be
    replaced by a tablet in the foreseeable future. But something similar to this, but with a high-end
    Ivy Bridge CPU and the latest GeForce mobile GFX would be nice....

Cheers!

Kat.

6. GalaxySII

GalaxySII Notebook Deity

Yeah i have upgraded 16gb.. mine laptop overheating.. cos i upgraded to 2860 it is TOO HOT .

7. neznati

neznati Newbie

hello,im owning the 6920g,and i just bought the 5951g,is it possible that the sound performance of the new 5951g is so apx 60% lower than on my old 6920g or im having a problem with driver because,a comparisson of them siiting on a table volume on 5951 is 100% and volume on 6920 is 50% the 5951 cant be heard anymore the 6920 beats it with loudnes at just 50% its like comparing a sound of a ferari against a fiat

8. wouldstock

wouldstock Newbie

Are there any recent purchasers of this fine, although a bit old lappy? Furthermore, is this thread still alive? Can anyone speak of their experience with their Acer Ethos, and how things are coming along?

9. firewolf3251

firewolf3251 Newbie

anybody still talking about the acer aspire ethos 8951g? I was wondering what is Everyones temps running?

10. Retired911

Retired911 Newbie

The highest I've been was 185 degrees but I was running a bunch of windows.

11. firewolf3251

firewolf3251 Newbie

thanx mine was running 150 i put a laptop cooler under it with 6 fans , running around 117 now. would like to unlock the bios , thier is a unlock program on bios-mods.com for 5951g-6879 i wonder if it would work on a 8951g-9630 ?

12. condegun

condegun Newbie

[
    The First Thing that i do after buying the Ethos 8951G,Was to install 2 SSD H.D.,...and the Hacer do not Recognice them,so do not Start...Looks that in some Countries can be Done and not in others coutries ! Mine was bought in Spain.The Models Adverticed in U.K.,comes with 1 SSD and 1 Standard H.D.
    I was very Frustated because i had Bought 2 SSD Disks for the Hacer Ethos.I can not understand why,if they use the same Chipset and Motheboard.

QUOTE=Katanyavich;9187668]Just a bit of an update/progress report on my AS8951G.

After 14 months of continuous use, and after having been 'side-graded' to Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
    in January, the machine has yet to give me the slightest hint of any trouble.

The overheating issue I posted about a few months ago (and which can/will happen to any laptop)
    was fixed with a blast of high-pressure air. The problem hasn't reoccurred as the fan/vents get a
    blast of HP air once a month or so.

Future plans are to fit an SSD, and another 8 GB of RAM.

I really can't speak highly enough of this lovely little (???) machine. It's certainly not going to be
    replaced by a tablet in the foreseeable future. But something similar to this, but with a high-end
    Ivy Bridge CPU and the latest GeForce mobile GFX would be nice....

Cheers!

Kat.[/QUOTE]

13. firewolf3251

firewolf3251 Newbie

this is a update for mine, running great ( knock on wood!) i'm running 1 tb ssd and 1 tb hybrid hd and 2 usb hd and hooked up boston speakers 5.1 surround sound to it, and got someone to unlock the 1.13 bios for me. also running 24 ram memory, windows 8.1 pro with meda 64bit.

14. MIKEYUV

MIKEYUV Newbie

Hi I would like to know if anyone has got the 8951g to run 32gb of ram upgrading windows 7 to ultimate. Also has anyone upgraded the gpu (bga). Replaced and upgaded, as I would have access to a electronics shop that does reballing with new chips. if so does bios need to be unlocked. Thanks

My system is a 8951g-9824. i7-2630qm 16gb. upgrades include a samsung ssd 1tb 840 evo, a samsung m9t hhd 2tb (from a Seagate Backup Plus slim). A BLU-Ray Panasonic uj240.

PS: SSD really reduses operating temps.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015