Acer Aspire V5-122P Owners' thread

Discussion in 'Acer' started by kaotikfunk, Jul 4, 2013.

1. decaba

decaba Newbie

Reputations:
    I had the same problem but I *think* I've got it fixed now. Following a suggestion I found here -- http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-turn-off-driver-updates-in-windows-update-in-windows-10/ -- I edited my Registry to include in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate a 32-bit DWORD value named ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate, set its value to 1, and restarted the computer. It's only been a couple weeks but so far Windows Update hasn't tried to update the graphics driver and I can't seem to make it do so when I run Updates manually.

Before that I tried rolling back the driver, booting into Safe Mode, running Wagnard's Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU), then a utility from Microsoft called wushowhide.diagcab before installing a known good driver. Oh, and at some point I went to Settings -> Devices -> Connected devices -> Devices and printers, then right-clicked on the icon depicting my computer, chose Device Installation Settings, and changed the value from "Yes (recommended)" to "No (Your device might not work as expected."

Even if this keeps Windows from updating the graphics driver long-term, I'm guessing it'll mean that I won't get updates for other drivers unless I use a third-party driver management utility or go look for them manually from time to time. For me that's a worthwhile trade-off.

Good luck!

2. n0rberto

n0rberto Newbie

Reputations:
    Even in Win 10 Home edition you will be able to turn off auto driver update without registry hack.
    It is working for me just follow this step by step.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  3. decaba

decaba Newbie

Reputations:
    Nice. Sadly, though, the option to never install driver software on this screen goes away if you have the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

4. luthergaylord

luthergaylord Newbie

Reputations:
    The problem is the new AMD graphics driver, which gets installed automatically by Windows Update.

It is not compatible with Windows 10 on this laptop; it makes the computer utterly unusable.

But there is a solution:

(1) Tell Windows to stop installing hardware drivers along with updates. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP, or Windows will re-install the rogue graphics driver after every reboot.

Control Panel ---> System and Security ---> System ---> Advanced System Settings ---> Hardware ---> Device Installation Settings

"Do you want to automatically download manufacturers' apps and custom icons available for your devices?"

Select "No" and then click "Save Changes".

(2) Uninstall the current graphics driver.

Device Manager ---> Display adapters ---> AMD Radeon HD 8250 ---> Properties ---> Driver ---> Uninstall

(3) Install AMD graphics driver 15.200.1060.0 (17 Aug 2015)

Here is a direct link:

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/VGA/VGA_AMD_15.200.1060.0_W10x64_A.zip?acerid=635753732668194923&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE E5-521&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

For a complete explanation, I suggest that you carefully read Graham Anderson's Nov 2016 post here:

https://community.acer.com/t5/Windo...P-0679-freezes-on-Windows-10-1607/td-p/464234

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    decaba likes this.
  5. Bowen

Bowen Newbie

Reputations:
    So I'm back with a few more findings and some more hopefully helpful info.

The good news is that Microsoft and AMD seem to have finally got their **** together and fixed whatever was making the V5-122p a pain in the ass, driver wise.

Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
    As of 2/17/2017 Steam has updated their software and it now runs with the open source amd drivers without issue.

Card Reader Issues-
    As of 2/17/2017 the divers installed by Windows update work just fine. If you're having issues it might be hardware related... my first mobo was damaged making the card reader useless.

Radeon Video Drivers
    As of 2/17/2017 the auto detect utility found on support.amd.com installs the most updated drivers/software without error and runs without issue.

This method worked for me today (had to clean install Windows 10 again because I borked my install messing with secure/dual boot set ups).

First, update Windows to the newest version and let it install all system/driver updates.

Download the auto detect installer from support.amd.com and run it.

It will download and install all the latest amd drivers available. I chose not to install the ReLive software so I can't say how it will run.

Here's where it gets strange... after rebooting, I checked and found that the auto detect utility installed video driver/software version 16.12.2 (which runs very well). Under the "updates" feature of the Radeon software there was an "optional" update to 17.2.1 available. I ran the update and it installed 17.2.1 without error and it also seems to run very well if not better.

So the V5-122p now finally runs Windows 10 flawlessly without any driver hassles. Enjoy!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    decaba likes this.
  6. junglew

junglew Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    FN-F3 NOT WORK ..not power on bluetooth ( launch manager for w7 downloaded and install but not work )

if possible please help me.
    best reg frank

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  7. decaba

decaba Newbie

Reputations:
    Bowen, thanks for another great post. I ran all Windows updates, let it install system/driver updates, ran the AMD autodetect utility, and everything's running great.

Sadly, my card reader still doesn't show up anywhere (Windows Explorer, Device Manager, Disk Management, etc.). I don't think it's a hardware issue because like you I dual boot to Ubuntu 16.04 and my cards show up fine there. Could you post a screenshot or describe where/how your card reader is represented in either Device Manager or your registry?

8. kakawak

kakawak Newbie

Reputations:
    hi guys,

i have recently purchased a v5 122p a4 dual core from fleabay UK £70 but i have to say that im disappointed with performance :(

even browsing the web is slow and thats with me upgrading hard drive to an intel 530 180gb ssd. i realise after reading a few reviews and pages on this forum that the dual core is hopeless. is there any other way to speed this thing up? i only bought this due to the looks and touch screen but didnt think the performance would be this bad :( im currently running windows 10 that i downloaded from microsoft via usb option and installed onto ssd.

i dont have an acer backup from old hard drive as it already had windows 10 installed/upgraded with the hardrive partitioned with equal spacing of 250gb or thereabouts. not sure whats on the other part of the partition as it said DATA but there was no info on it. is this where acer keep there recovery stuff, if so how do i access it? i did make a system image from windows 10 but like i said i used the direct download from microsoft onto usb option.

ive recently came from an acer aspire one d255 with the 1.66 atom chip but even that seems faster :/ i would have kept this going for another few years if it hadnt been for the "no bootable device detected" on startup issue. i still have it but i cant seem to solve this problem. ive tried different hard drives but still no success and if anyone can shed any light on this i would be very happy.

back on topic.... is there any advantages of enabling the amd-v option for a normal user ie will i notice a performance gain on normal browsing or tasks? should i upgrade ram from 4gb to 10gb? ive already done the hard drive so im not sure what to do. i might end up selling it on and try to get my money back!

what were acer thinking when they put this dual core into a nice looking netbook like this :/

thanks for your help in advance!

9. junglew

junglew Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    put
    ssd 128 giga
    windows 7 (alls drive acer.com)
    6 giga ram

and have acceptable performance :)

(i have A6 and backlit keyboard and love this notebook )

10. kakawak

kakawak Newbie

Reputations:
    i have a 180gb intel 530 ssd installed and as for windows 7 what are the benefits of going back to this OS over windows 10? if i do consider windows 7 what version should i install? is there a big performance gain over windows 10?

i should also state that it takes nearly a minute to bootup into desktop with this ssd :/ ive checked the read & write speeds and they are around the 400mbs so this seems ok.....why is it so slow booting up?

doi just download iso from microsoft again?

should i install more ram? i forgot to ask if this netbook will accept 2rx8 modules (ram chips both sides) instead of the 1rx8 which only has ram chips installed on one side. will the 2rx8 modules stop it from sliding into the ram slot?

cheers

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017