Acer Aspire V5-122P Owners' thread

Discussion in 'Acer' started by kaotikfunk, Jul 4, 2013.

1. SkyLambert

SkyLambert Newbie

Reputations:
    Very informative. Thanks for sharing.

I'm using the WHQL AMD driver (15.11) from Windows Update on Windows 10 and haven't noticed any major problems with it. Temps are pretty much the same (58°-65° Celsius) as Windows 8.1 with Catalyst 13.xx and Xubuntu 14.04 with open source radeon drivers.

The only other drivers I've ever needed after a clean Windows install were Realtek audio(defaut Windows driver crackles) and ELAN touchpad(will work without, but no multi-touch or tapping support). I got them from Acer's support site. Even though they were for Windows 8.1 they worked for 10 as well.

As for Linux I just needed a distro with a kernel version 3.16 or later. Not really an issue now though. I also needed BIOS 2.12 to get backlight dimming after installing. Kind of weird, considering I had backlight dimming on all the live sessions of the distros I tried.

Your clock problem likely has to do with the fact that Windows uses the localtime standard while Linux uses UTC. You can read about it here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/time#Time_standard

I've reloaded my V5-122P 4 times and have never had that problem. Is the hard drive accessible elsewhere? For example can you boot into an existing operating system or see it in the BIOS?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    decaba likes this.
  2. TacKer128

TacKer128 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have been thinking about increasing the memory in my Aspire V5-122P-0643 (A6-1450 CPU). I am currently running Windows 8.1 Pro with BitLocker turned on. Acer states the maximum RAM that can be installed is 6GB of which 2GB is onboard memory. Yet others have installed 8GB memory modules for a total of 10GB. Does anyone know which memory configuration is correct? Why would Acer recommend 6GB when others have installed 10GB?

Edit: I read through the back posts and found post #477 by KJohnBoom and went with his suggestion.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  3. isaias guerrero

isaias guerrero Newbie

Reputations:
    hi!!! i saw your post and is great, lots of usefull info, i wanted to ask you a couple of questions if you dont mind, i just ordered a v5-122p-0869 , i found it really cheap($60) but it comes with a bad hard drive that wont be detected, so i have no way of restoring or extracting the key, what do you think it will be the easiest and better way to get it to work once the hard drive is replaced??? i downloaded a usb bootable version of windows 8.1 64b, but i heard that the key on bios wont work for that, and there is also the windows 10 choice, but i dont even know if my key will work with that or even what will be the apropiate win10 version for my key, if any of the above isnt a good choice, if you could share your restore image maybe.... anyways i will really apreciatte if you can help me and point me to the right way... thanks in advance...

4. SkyLambert

SkyLambert Newbie

Reputations:
    A Windows 8.1 iso will work. As of November 2014 they are able to read the embedded keys from computers that came with 8.0. Just make sure to get the regular "Windows 8.1" iso and not Pro, N, or Single language. I was able to use a Windows 10 Home iso as well, but that was a few months ago. Now that the free upgrade period has ended I'm not sure if it still works. Some people say it does. YMMV. You can get them from here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media

isaias guerrero likes this.
  5. isaias guerrero

isaias guerrero Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks a lot, i finally had the chance to install windows from scratch, windows 8.1 worked and was able to activate, but it has a couple of issues, it doesnt come with net framework and makes updates impossible, it wont allow me the framework installation, also the wifi fails most of the time, limited access , is there a way to fix those issues??

6. gilbodavid

gilbodavid Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi. ive just bought a v5 122p. it has windows 10, 6 gb ram and 128gb ssd drive. its the A4 version with radeon hd 8210 vgraphics.

i immediately did windows 10 updates, which seemed to take ages.

Now the acer lasts 10 minutes or so, then crashes, saying "thread stuck in device driver".

On start up it then says "Radeon Wattman setings have been restored due to a system failure".

How do i resolve this? Thank you

7. n0rberto

n0rberto Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi David,
    You will find more info here :
    https://community.amd.com/message/2760041#comment-2760041

Unfortunately there is no proper solution to resolve driver incompatibility. Win 10 forcing you to install via automated updates the latest driver which generating system instability.
    Hope could help a little.

All the best

Tapatalkkal küldve az én HTC One eszközömről

8. gilbodavid

gilbodavid Newbie

Reputations:
    thank you thatwas very helpful

i seem to have solved it. i stopped windows 10 updating drivers automatically, as per your link, then went to the radeon driver in device manager, and rolled back to a 2015 driver.

suddenly this little netbook is a lot better, and everything works as it should.

n0rberto likes this.
  9. decaba

decaba Newbie

Reputations:
    First, I just wanted to thank everyone who's posted such great info to this thread. It's been tremendously helpful to me.

A question for those who've done a clean install of Windows 10: Does Windows recognize the card reader at all? Mine does not. I can't find any trace of it in Device Manager. I've tried running the Troubleshooting wizards in Control Panel but no problems are detected.

I don't think it's a hardware/BIOS/card issue because when I dual boot to Ubuntu Mate 16.04, it can mount and read all the SD and SDHC cards I through at it.

I couldn't find any drivers for a card reader on Acer's website for the V5-122P so I tried running installers for models that were close in number (RealTek, Genesys, Alcor, Broadcom) both normally and in Compatibility Mode (Windows 8). The installers run fine but no new hardware is detected. I've done all these things while a card was inserted in the slot and with the laptop plugged in.

I've tried going into Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus controllers and for each USB Root Hub, going into Properties and clicking the Refresh button in the Power tab and the Reset Hub button in the Advanced tab. This did nothing.

Also in Device Manager I've tried showing Hidden devices, uninstalling all "ghosted" devices and restarting hoping some new hardware would be detected, but to no avail.

If I connect an external multicard reader into one of the laptop's USB ports, it works great.

I'm about out of ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions?

10. gilbodavid

gilbodavid Newbie

Reputations:
    My problem is NOT solved! Windows is still updating the graphics driver every time i switch on, and because i'm on windows 10 home edition, I cannot do any of the fixes suggested in other threads to stop it.

Any bright ideas?

thanks David