Acer Aspire V5-122P Owners' thread

Discussion in 'Acer' started by kaotikfunk, Jul 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidricardo86

davidricardo86 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Anyone updating to Windows 8.1?

For some reason the update is not present in the Microsoft Store for me. I am performing some Windows Updates right now and hope that this is causing the hold up.

2. renoguy

renoguy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm downloading 8.1 now. I haven't timed it, but after about 3 hours I'm only 1/3 of the way. So it looks like the download might take 8-10 hours to load (the file size is about 3.2 gb as I recall which is huge). Hopefully it's just because Microsoft is swamped on the first day. It took about 5 tries just to get the download to start.

I followed the instructions at the Acer site. They said to update to the latest Bios (they just released 2.09) and run all the Windows 8 updates before going to the Microsoft store for the free 8.1 update. I saw the update at the Microsoft store even before I ran all the Windows 8 updates.

There were posts here that the Bluetooth driver wouldn't work with the beta version of 8.1. My Acer has a Qualquam Atheros Bluetooth and the Windows 8.1 site says it's compatible, so we'll see. Acer also has a Windows 8 driver for a Broadcom Bluetooth. I don't see any 8.1 drivers at the Acer site.

3. monstercameron

monstercameron Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    please report on the experience, good or bad of the win 8.1 update.

4. renoguy

renoguy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    OK, I just finished the 8.1 update. At this point all I can say is that it did install and I'm still here. I haven't had a chance to test much yet.

The download did "speed up" this evening after it was about 40% done, and ended up taking about 5 hours (as I mentioned, I didn't time it so this is a rough number). I assume it will be much faster when there is less demand, but it's still a 3 gig file and it will take a long time to load.

After downloading, it also took about an hour to install on the computer. And I'm not counting the time it took to update the Bios to 2.09 (think I earlier said 2.9 by mistake) and to run all the Windows 8 updates before you even start the 8.1 update (plus I created a system image before the update which took another 30 min or so and system image is hard to find in Windows 8 but it is there). So plan to spend a good part of a day, not that you have to watch everything. Once the 8.1 download starts, I think it was mostly all automatic (though there was a restart request that would of taken 15 min more if you didn't respond, and there was other license stuff and other stuff to reply too after the install).

Looking at Device Manager, it looks like all devices are working. The Bluetooth looks good too, but it shows a Microsoft Enumerator, whatever that is. I don't see the Qualcom Atheros I saw before the update. I haven't tested the Bluetooth yet to actually confirm it really still works. I never tested it before either with Windows 8, so that will wait until tomorrow. But at least it's nice I see no errors in Device Manager.

5. davidricardo86

Reputations:
    After installing some pending updates in Windows Update, I was able to successfully download and install 8.1. I ran the download overnight and this morning was greeted by the terms and agreements. The initial setup process took like 5-10 minutes at most. Like renoguy said, there aren't any missing device drivers in the Device Manager however it appears that the 8.1 update erased all my previous 13.9 embedded G-Series SoC video and 13.9 chipset drivers. I checked AMD's website and it looks like embedded G-Series SoC video drivers only support 8 at the moment. In the mean time, I will be installing 8.1 WHQL 13.9 video drivers instead and let you guys know if I run into any issues. I haven't updated the UEFI to 2.09 but will be doing that today too.

It's odd that the GPU identification tool from AMD does not recognize my A6-1450 or the OS.

I gotta say I like the new 8.1 features and GUI changes.

6. renoguy

renoguy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm surprised it only took 5-10 minutes for you to run setup. It took over an hour for me, but that included the install time after the download. I'm guessing your install already happened during the night?

I tried out my Bluetooth speaker and it is working well with 8.1.

I've had two problems so far which may or may not have anything to do with 8.1. Every time I rebooted I lost wireless internet connection and had to connect manually. But I simply rechecked the auto connect box to fix that. My trackpad also stopped working and a restart did not fix it. I had to do a full shut down and now it's working fine again. That hasn't happened before.

Both my printers are still working fine as well. I still haven't had much time to play with the features.

7. davidricardo86

Reputations:
    That is correct, my download and installation happened while I was asleep. Pretty happy with that actually. Everything went buttery smooth. So far, I haven't had any issues come up. I'm currently downloading official Acer drivers for 8.1.

Acer Download drivers and support page for 8.1 are now available and are dated 2013/10/08.
    Acer | Download

EDIT: Ok, something weird just happened. I was uninstalling all previous AMD video and chipset drivers and had to restart. Went back to the Acer website after restarting and now I'm not seeing the 8.1 drivers!? WTH :confused:

EDIT: Phew, ok they're back now. Maybe I forgot to click on "ALL" instead of "LATEST" at the top right corner. Was going crazy for a moment there.
    Windows 8.1 64-bit drivers_v5-122p_01.png

8. edrexx

edrexx Newbie

Reputations:
    Same exact thing happened last night to my daughter. When she hit Fn-F7 it would only flash the "no touchpad" symbol up on the screen. I restarted and still nothing. Did a full shutdown and waited a couple minutes to reboot. The mouse icon appeared but the touchpad was still not working. Tried Fn-F7 again and it flashed the touchpad on symbol and everything worked properly again.
    She has the 2.09 BIOS and Windows 8, not 8.1.

9. renoguy

renoguy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So it looks like there is a problem with the touchpad driver after updating to Windows 8.1, at least for the Synaptics touch pad which I have (Acer also has an Elantech driver).

Mine is random. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't work I lose all finger gestures, I have to double click instead of single click to select something, and sometimes I lose the tap to click feature. Plus the cursor gets real jerky.

Thanks for the link to the Acer 8.1 drivers. I'm installing the 8.1 Synaptics driver now to see if it fixes the touch pad issues.

I don't recall if this is a Windows 8 or new Windows 8.1 issue but I don't like the driver download. It doesn't show your progress. You just get some blinking dots so you have no idea how much longer the download will take. Maybe there is a downloads window somewhere that will show the progress?

Edited to add...

It looks like those 8.1 drivers at the Acer site are all new versions so we need to add installing all of those to the total install time for 8.1. And of course most of those drivers are huge files.

10. renoguy

renoguy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So far the touchpad is once again working fine after I updated to the Windows 8.1 Synaptics driver at the Acer site.

One thing I notice is that looking at the same web page, Microsoft Explorer ver 11 text is darker and sharper than Google Chrome text. Chrome text is kind of gray and blurry, almost uncomfortable to read now. I wonder if Microsoft did something? ;)

It is nice to have the start button back again. Right clicking it gives all kinds of useful features which took more thought and clicks to find in Windows 8.0.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.