Acer Aspire V3-771G external screen capabilities? (Or similar system)

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by ethereal_vortex, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ethereal_vortex

ethereal_vortex Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there!

I've been wanting to replace my desktop with a portable device in preparations for an exchange year. After some research i found the "Acer Aspire V3-771G" which basically meets all my specs: Quad Core, 32G Ram capable, 2 internal 2.5" bays, possibly replaceable optical drive bay. It costs 850€ and needs upgrades for 250€ so ends up at a very nice 1100€. The one thing that i can't find out is how much external screenspace it supports (which is the main reason i'm posting this)
    It has HDMI+VGA and the official ACER specs state:

VGA port up to 2048 x 1536: 85 Hz
    HDMI® port up to 1920 x 1080: 60 Hz

while Nvidia says the card (GT 650M) can do:

Display Support:

Maximum Digital Resolution: 3840 x 2160
    Maximum VGA Resolution: Up to 2048x1536

Which leaves me with a few questions:
    a) Can i connect an external 1920x1200 screen via HDMI or would i have to use VGA?
    b) Does disabling the internal screen give me more resolution for external screens?
    c) How many screens can i use at once? If Internal+HDMI+VGA at the same time worked, that'd be awesome.

Just in case nobody can answer a)b)c) but knows a similar system in the same price range i filled out the "What should i buy" form:

2. xKrNMBoYx

xKrNMBoYx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    a) Can i connect an external 1920x1200 screen via HDMI or would i have to use VGA?

I think it depends on the technology of the HDMI port on your laptop. HDMI 1.0 has a max resolution of 1920x1200, HDMI 1.3 is 2560x1600, HDMI 1.4/2.0 is supposedly suppose to allow up to 4k x 2k resolutions. This is from Wikipedia so don't completely trust me on my words.

I don't think there is a limite to VGA output

b) Does disabling the internal screen give me more resolution for external screens?

I don't think disabling internals screen will give you more resolution support for external monitors, but I also feel like it did happen for my netbook a few years ago. Sorry I can't help

c) How many screens can i use at once? If Internal+HDMI+VGA at the same time worked, that'd be awesome.

If you still wan't to know I can see if I can connect to a 1080p tv through HDMI, and another monitor through the VGA port.

3. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    a) HDMI (1560x1600) and VGA (2048x1536) can handle that output.

b) Disabling the laptop display has nothing to do with external resolution. You'll just have the ability to drive one more monitor, probably.

c) Depends. But I figure that you should be able to drive at least two external monitors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.