Acer Aspire TimelineX 4820TG Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Acer' started by aylafan, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonage

Jonage Newbie

Reputations:
    Did you solved this? I´m getting the same error.

2. elwismik

elwismik Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello
    I'm new to this forum. I'd like to ask you a question about intel hd graphics mode on my acer 4820tg and the external monitor. When I work on radeon 5650 graphics card and I connect external lcd monitor via hdmi-dvi cable I have all working fine - I can switch between screens I can duplicate screens etc. But when I'm workin in intel mode (power saving) and I connect laptop ro external monitor via the same hdmi-dvi cabe nothing happens - in intel mode my computer doesn't detect external monitor at all. I try to force it to work manually but I realized that in this mode my laptop doesn't see the external monitor. Sometimes It automatically switches to 5650 graphics card mode when I connect the monitor in intel mode. So, what is the reason for this? Is the intel hd graphics card incapable to display picture on external monitor? It sounds strange for me - on older laptops with gma950 graphics card I remenber that it was working with external monitor without problems. I add that I have these drivers installed from acer www site: 8.840.7.4000.
    Please wrote If you have experienced similiar problems and how you solve this.
    Mike

3. azsamsancho

azsamsancho Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, can anyone please point me to a clean install guide of windows 7. I tried searching this thread but could not find a link. There was one reference to the 3820tg clean install, but the link is dead :(

4. aylafan

aylafan TimelineX Elite

Reputations:
    You can only use the HDMI output with the Radeon HD 5650; not with the Intel. Don't know why it was designed like that, but that's just how it is.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    I don't think the Intel GPU had enough juice to push an external 1080p display. When gaming on the 5650/HDMI/24" display, my unit would heat up a lot more than when just gaming on the 3820TG's 13" HD display. Maybe after the HD3000 graphics of the Sandy Bridge CPUs that has changed.

6. brtdud7

brtdud7 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi guys. I've had my 4820TG-6847 for 8-9 months now and I really like it a lot. However, there are a few problems I have been having and wonder if anyone can help

1. Hooking my laptop to a 720P TV via HDMI doesn't seem to do the extended display and comes up very strange and basically unusable. My older HP laptop was able to work fine with the TV

2. Occasionally (like once every 3-4 weeks) when I try to wake my computer up from sleep, it will turn on and I can enter my password and do stuff but the screen doesn't turn on. It also sometimes bluescreens when this happens.

3. Sometimes with Youtube or VLC player, no sound will play on a video. I have to refresh 3-4 times or keep closing and reopening VLC for it to get sound working again.

If anyone can help, thanks

7. drizzt5

drizzt5 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    These instructions didn't exactly work.

However, by tinkering I somehow got switchable graphics to work. I followed the first three steps and then installed the 9.00's with switchable on. Then I restarted and followed the instructions about selecting the non Microsoft drivers with discrete on. Restarted with switchable and it worked.

8. JRobert

JRobert Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everybody. I am new user on this forum, but I have used it for great help in the past.

I couldn't find any help using the search thread function, but I guess this is the right place to write my question.

From yesterday nothing happens when i press the power button of my 4820tg. The screen remains blank, and only the power indicator and fan turns on. After about 20 seconds the fan goes to 100%, but the screen remains blank. When I press the power button again, the computer instantly turns off.

I have done a bit of googling, at the blank/black/dead screen seems to be a very common problem with other acer models, But I havent been able to find a solution, that works for this model.
    This is what I have tried so far, following instructions for the same problem on other acer models:

1. Removing battery and AC. Holding the power button for one minute

2. Pressing power button for 10 seconds with ac connected

3. reseating the RAM

4. Flashing the bios using the original bios file found here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/ace...melinex-4820tg-5820tg-modded-bios-insyde.html . This involves:
    a. copying the .fd-file to a clean, FAT formated 512mb usb drive
    b. starting the laptop holding the fn+esc keys
    When I do this, the flash drive LED's light up for a second when the computer turns on, then nothing. I wait for 10 minutes or so, with no activity.

Suddenly this morning, after leaving the computer unplugged and with no battery for the night, I got the computer to start up right until the windows safe boot screen, where it turn of again.

What am I doing wrong? Is my BIOS dead?

edit:
    I have tried the boot flash sequence with both the hdd and the dvd drive disconnected, to try to force the computer to load the usb drive. It didn't change anything

A friend told me to reseat the CMOS-battery. Problem is, I can't find it

9. Jonage

Jonage Newbie

Reputations:
    I must confirm, according to your suggestion, it really worked, now I'm on switchable graphics on Windows 8 too! :)

10. zerverize

zerverize Guest

Reputations:
    Man.. I didn't expect to hear from both of you guys directly haha, just proves that the community on this forum is just awesome. :thumbsup:
    I think the 4820TG and 3820TG indeed struck a chord with consumers (minus the keyboard, which I guess was acer's attempt to try something new...)

Hows is the battery life on the X301, I assume its very good since you ditched the GPU and also opt for 6+3 cells

On a side note, thanks for the tear down link inm8#2, I was just looking for it too getting ready for the i580-m transplant :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.