Acer Aspire TimelineX 4820TG Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Acer' started by aylafan, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. volupta

volupta Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone have a step by step guide on how to replace the none-backlit keyboard with a backlit keyboard on a 4820TG? And is it possible without messing with the warranty?

2. iwin2000

iwin2000 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/491169-acer-timelinex-3820tg-backlit-keyboard-mod.html (It's done the same way for the 4820tg)

You don't invalidate the warranty by replacing the keyboard...
    but if you start making holes in the case to install switches and such, that might invalidate your warranty.

3. volupta

volupta Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, i was hoping for something easier than this, without me having to use the soldering method, kind of plug and play (if it is possible, think i read something about a plug on the back of 4820tg that is not in use somewhere). But good enough i suppose!

Thanks for the help man!

4. Sxooter

Sxooter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The trick is to piggyback for power from a plug connector for the USB ports. You can pull the pins out of the plug, wrap the leads for your keyboard around them, and plug them back in. Then if you need to return it for warranty work etc you can then just remove the wires, replace the keyboard and send it back with no physical changes.

5. Eagle132

Eagle132 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hello again guys,

Small issue I've been having for the past week or so. My 4820tg won't sleep after the set time limit (15 minutes). The screen turns off and stays off, but the machine simply will not sleep unless I close the lid.

I cant recall installing anything or updating anything when this started to happen because it took me a little while to notice it. Is there any monitoring software I could use to see if a software is causing a spike in CPU usage, thereby stopping my computer from sleeping?

Thanks!

6. wetwilly5519

wetwilly5519 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm trying to update the 6550m driver from 8.741.1.6 to 8.84.7.4. I uninstalled and used drive sweeper in safe mode for the install. I keep getting a "install package failure" at the beginning of the install. The driver gets installed though. When I switch back from discrete to switchable my screen is just blank while everything is running smoothly in the background. In discrete, everything is fine. Anyone got this upgrade working yet?

--edit--
    The error comes up right after the C++ 2010 redistro.
    --edit2--
    Ok so figured it out. Went and installed the Intel driver 8.15.10.2202. Which was what switchable was missing.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    AIDA64 will probably do that for you. There is a 30 day free trial I think.

8. drizzt5

drizzt5 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey,

Anyone else having this small problem?

Occasionally I will find that my F10 <-> Del keys are popped up for some reason. They still work and all I have to do is push on them a little harder then a key press and they will pop back into place, but sometimes the next time I use my laptop they will be popped out again.

Is this a known problem? It has to do with build quality I guess...

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    I have never heard of this happening on its own. Have you taken the KB out at all? These are the places where the keyboard tabs/slots are and they sometimes get damaged when removing the keyboard. It is an easy fix. You can get a new keyboard for $20 and snap it in with no problem.

10. drizzt5

drizzt5 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've never removed it. They must have snapped on there own somehow. It is odd considering I have been very careful with handling it.

And if i'm going to get a new keyboard I would try my luck at backlit, but at this point I think that might be too risky/beyond me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.