Acer Aspire TimelineX 4820TG Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Acer' started by aylafan, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apex84

Apex84 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone been able to undervolt the GPU? I remember reading a post a while back about which file to edit after extracting the BIOS files but now I can't find it. I'd like to undervolt the 5650 and disable the Intel GMA.

2. omni

omni Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Ugh...I've ran into a bit of a problem. I was trying to update my GPU drivers from the 10/2010 version to what is current.

I switched to discrete GPU from the bios and after the update ran, I'd check the driver version in the device manager and I'd see that it has not been updated. The date and the driver version of the old one was still there. Even after restarting it a few times, the same thing persisted.
    So anyways, I decided to get a bit more adventurous and clicked on "Uninstall Driver" under for the 6550 GPU. After doing so, and installing the driver update, the update seemed to stick as I could see the new date (7/28/2011) as well as the new version on.
    So, I restarted my PC and put it back to switchable in the bios. However, in switchable, I would get this extremely low resolution like I did when I first clean installed Windows on here. So I did a windows update on the intel VGA drivers. After installing and restarting my PC, after the windows load screen happens, the screen is just blank. I can't see the login screen, although I can login and everything (I can tell by the sound it makes logging in). Everything is responsive, except for the screen. I tried pressing Fn+F5 a few times but that didn't do anything. I tried connecting to an external monitor but that didn't do anything either. When I restart and go to bios and put the GPU mode back to discrete, everything starts up and works perfectly, even the monitor. It just doesn't work when I have it set to switchable.

Is doing another clean install the only way out?

Edit:

Strange...I updated my discrete GPU again, using Acer's 8/2011 release and when I went back to switchable, everything was working as normal, even the screen, as if nothing happened. Oh laptop...

3. TheChappie

TheChappie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone recommend a reputable site for a backup battery, officially from Acer or a third party that isn't a cheap/dangerous Chinese battery?

4. iwin2000

iwin2000 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Are you still under the one year warranty? If so, just call Acer and tell them your battery is malfunctioning and it only holds charge for 30 minutes or something like that. They'll send you a new one for free.
    You can do the same with the Acer recovery disks, call them up and make up a story about your computer not working and they will ship it to you for free.

5. MechanicalTurtle

MechanicalTurtle Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  6. bigbang2014

bigbang2014 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes there's a mini pci-express slot, but you will have to pull out your wifi card !

I think it's possible, but you will have to choose between wifi and a powerfull graphic card, but only 80-90% of it's power.

I've found 2 links :
    PE4H (PCIe passive adapter ver2.4)
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/gam...7667-lets-figure-out-how-make-diy-vidock.html

So the only solution is "PE4H ver2.4 with PM3N" and to make a hole in the large middle bottom plate.
    The best solution will be to build an external box to put the graphic card and the power supply in a safe place and secure (for dropping and away from dust)

7. omni

omni Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Just to add to that, perhaps get a USB wifi adapter?
    I haven't tried doing anything like this, but it looks like it would be a hassle setting your laptop up to this and then reverting it back to its normal use.

8. TheChappie

Reputations:
    I am having an issue updating to the latest ATI drivers through their catalyst software. I get the proper card (even tried doing it autodetect just to make sure I was doing it right and was), download, and then when it goes to begin installation I get this error:

[​IMG]

Anyone have any ideas?

9. iwin2000

iwin2000 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    yes, download catalyst individual installer from amd site, and just install that
    the drivers you need to install are from the acer site specifically for the 4820tg

10. TheChappie

Reputations:
    Have they been updated at all recently?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.