Acer Aspire TimelineX 4820TG Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Acer' started by aylafan, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danmacdonagh

danmacdonagh Newbie

Reputations:
    Buy this laptop.

For $800 you won't be disappointed.

2. run.dll

run.dll Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello guys, I consider buying this laptop seriously... today or tomorrow

First I considered between 3820tg and 4820tg and I still see the optical drive as an important fact so I stay with 4820tg decision but on the other hand I don't know any other differences between two. Yeah... the cooling system too but it seems 2 coolers dont make too much difference... 14 inch screen is better and plus dvd-writer OK ! so

People bought these pieces like crazy here and I don't have many choices left. Here it is only left with i3 330m processor hd 5650 320gb hdd and 3gb ram. It costs 800 dollars and the other one with i5 460m processor costs 200 dollars more...cant understand why at all. Anyway... I would buy the i3 330m one. Maybe the 330m processor one is the first releaseso it may have poor built ? 460m seems to be the latest cons. I don't know please helpme with this.

I plan to play games with it too of course and I heard CPU is not very important for gaming so what do you say ? 800 dollars is ok for that or I wait for price drops for better 4820tg s ?

Edit: I also just found i5 430m of this model it costs 830 dollars.... But i5 430 cpu is older too... so this must be one of first release

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    Get the I5, even if it is the 430M, over the I3. If you read further back in this thread, you will see that some owners have had throttling issues with the I3. That is why we suspect that they do not import the I3 model in the US anymore.

Bronsky

4. aznguy123

aznguy123 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Microsoft's website says at least 20GB for the 64-bit version. You can save even more space by disabling the hibernation feature, reducing pagefile, disabling system restore, and other stuff. Be careful with which features you turn off.

30GB is enough for some games, browsers, iTunes, etc., but don't count on having large software suites installed (Adobe CS5). Personally 30GB isn't even worth it, but depending on how you use your computer, it might be fine for you.

5. AriStar

AriStar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I personally have an i3-370 (lack of choice, i would go with an i5 if given the option) but personally I have never had any throttling issues of any kind.

6. fire3element

fire3element Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you aznguy123 for the info. So it sounds like a 30gb is not a good option.
    Does anyone know of a decent 64gb that is on sale?
    I would like one that is under $100, but I don't think that is going to happen.

7. AriStar

AriStar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    get a momentus XT, thats what im doing. on sale now at NCIX.

8. fire3element

fire3element Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info AriStar. I really would like a SSD though. Just personal preference. Are there any 64gb SSDs on sale?

9. KingRaptor

KingRaptor Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    A testament to the build quality of these 4820TGs... I accidentally sat on mine for a couple of seconds before I realized. The laptop survived like a champ.

10. aznguy123

aznguy123 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    No. The 4820TG is already somewhat hard to come by. Low supply + high demand = no sale.

But you never know what might happen :)

I was wondering if it's possible to replace the 14" screen with another one. Like this one: NEW SONY VAIO VPC-EA36FX/G 14" WXGA+ BV LED SCREEN - eBay (item 400166350155 end time Nov-20-10 22:43:34 PST)

Both screens use 40 pin data connectors. Can anyone comment on whether this would be compatible, i.e. screen thickness, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.