Acer Aspire TimelineX 4820TG Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Acer' started by aylafan, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teknoman

Teknoman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The BT module you are looking for is the Broadcom BCM92046 and can be found on ebay. This one won't be easy to put in as it involves taking the laptop apart, as it needs to be placed on the right of the card reader.

I also found a place in the UK that stocks a WLAN N+BT pcie mini card that is much easier to replace as it just swaps with the existing WLAN card in the bottom of the laptop (http://www.oxfordtec.com/us/p277/Sp...ink-RT3090BC4-SoC-Solution/product_info.html). I am having one shipped over to Australia and will comment once it is in.

2. RobsTV

RobsTV Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It sucks that the Acer 3820TG's Atheros BT module T77H056 is not available on ebay.

The Atheros gives you the capability for BT 3.0 if used with the Atheros WiFi card, which many are switching to.

3. Just_a_Nick

Just_a_Nick Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Only with the right BT modul ;)

4. Just_a_Nick

Just_a_Nick Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice card. ;)

5. Psychoskier

Psychoskier Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys,
    Just received the acer yesterday (1 day shipping WOOT) and its working great.

One question though,
    I read somewhere that the sound could be made better with certain settings but I can't find the post. Can someone direct me to it?

TIA

6. danmacdonagh

danmacdonagh Newbie

Reputations:
    Posting this from my new 4820TG!

For those interested in buying one of these, stop thinking and buy it already. Build quality is great, yeah the screen is a little flimsy, but it's no worse than any other laptop I've used (except a macbook). There is a little flex in the keyboard when you push down really hard, but who would do that anyway?

The laptop is quick and the screen is bright, viewing angle is a lot better then what I was lead to believe, maybe I'm just not picky.

It looks amazing as well, once you get those stickers off, the brushed aluminum is great. Currently copying over games from my old laptop, I'll give a report on those later for people interested in the gaming part of this laptop.

7. obelisk79

obelisk79 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    only problem is finding one in stock somewhere. Such popular value, you'd think this would be easier to find.

8. TheChappie

TheChappie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'd like to get this info as well.

9. fire3element

fire3element Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have tried to find the post where somebody was talking about a SSD that was on sale. I believe that it was somewhere between page 100-189, but I can not seem to find it. I tried a search but I dont know what I am looking for, so that didnt work well. Would someone kindly tell me which page it was on?

What would be better is if someone would talk about what SSD are on sale right now, and what prices 30-64gb drives are going for .
    I bought a OCz Vertex 30gb for $67 w/tax. There is a $30 mail-in rebate. So total at MicroCenter was $97. Is this SSD a decent deal?

And would it be ok to have a 30gb as the main drive and the stock 320gb in the ODD? How much space does a fresh install of Win7 take up?
    Edit: I want to install the Win7 OS on the 30gb SSD. Is that enough space and how much room would be left?

Thanks

10. windowsmaclinux

windowsmaclinux Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Referring to my unanswered question
    Have anyone ever tried this?

Anyway my next question: do you think there will be a better deal on this machine this coming thanksgiving holiday sales? I guess there probably won't be coz $800 for such a good machine is already quite a good deal. What do you think?

Thanks a lot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.