Acer Aspire TimelineX 4820TG Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Acer' started by aylafan, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    Did you get the replacement from the Retailer or Acer? It seems that there is a small percentage of these displays that have the line/resolution problems. These should be caught in a QA/QC inspection but I am quessing that inspections are random only. Nice to hear that your replacement does not have the same problem.

Bronsky:cool:

2. aznguy123

aznguy123 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I got it directly from the retailer. I placed another order with Amazon and shipped the other one back for a refund.

These should definitely be caught in QA/QC, but the problem is not noticeable to some people which is probably why it passed. My eyes are very sensitive to abnormalities on LCDs.

3. cykotoxik

cykotoxik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You're welcome. :)

I don't want to be redundant, but just in case you missed the other thread.....

For the Network Controller,
    relating to the Wireless LAN, it's a Broadcom Network Adapter.
    Download the Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver.

Not sure about the Wireless LAN hardware for the other 4820TGs, but for the
    4820TG-7805 that I have, it's a Broadcom Network Adapter.

4. cykotoxik

cykotoxik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's great! Congrats!

Glad to know you managed to get a 4820TG now with no LCD
    screen defects.

Nothing bothers me more than a bad LCD screen, since that's what
    I'll be staring at most of the time. Hehe!

Especially something like the problems you mentioned.
    Another defect I dread to experience are dead pixels. :)

I'm starting to be concerned that the problems you described
    would develop on my 4820TG.

How did you check for the LCD manufacturer on your 4820TG?

5. fire3element

fire3element Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am not sure how to properly find the screen manufacturer, but I found that mine is the AUO panel.

To find it, go into the Device Manager. Expand the Monitors icon. Under Monitors, right-click on the Generic PnP Monitor and select Properties. Once you open the Properties window, select the Details tab at the top. Under that tab you should see a drop-down menu. Open the menu and select Hardware Ids from the list. My monitor shows up as MONITOR\AUO303C.

I was not sure if my laptop screen was a bad one. Now that I see the manufacturer has been changed, I think that mine is one of the affected models. I thought the screen looked awful crappy, but now I am convinced that it is a faulty screen. I will contact Acer to see about a warranty claim.

On a side note, can anyone recommend the best thermal paste available? I want the best paste that I can get if I am going to go through the trouble of changing it out. What brand or type should I get?
    Thanks.

6. fire3element

fire3element Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh sorry. Two more questions.

1) What is the ADT cable located under the bottom access panel? It has 2 red and 2 black wires, located directly to the left of the GPU. 12volt or 5volt?

2) Has anyone experienced constant Internet connection issues while connected to WiFi? Like I can browse for 5min and next page I click on wont load. I even open a new tab and try google. No go. It is completely random though. It happens while plugged in or on battery. If I open the WiFi menu and disconnect my router and then immediately reconnect, the internet connection works fine for the next few minutes.
    I believe that it is a driver issue. When I try to update the driver, it says that it is the latest driver. Does anyone have any other clues? I am at a loss here.

7. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Wee...

Reputations:
    Can consider IC7 for the thermal paste..

As for the wifi, try under the device manager -> network adapters -> your wifi card -> under power management tab -> uncheck to allow the computer to turn off....

8. rockstar283

rockstar283 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I deleted the original partition but did not touch the other two partitions i.e. one is 13gb and the other is 100mb. These two partitions came by default only. Also there was nothng to backup..coz I just received the lappy and these is the first thing I did :D the PCI problem is solved now..and for the wireless I have installed "WLAN_Broadcom_5.60.18.8_Win7x64" driver but at the end of the installation it says "the installation program has successfully performed the selected operations, but the driver installation is not complete yet. Click finish to exit the installation;Then use the FOUND NEW HARDWARE WIZARD to complete the driver installation" Can you tell me how to perform the last act?

9. rockstar283

rockstar283 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    under network adapter I can only see my LAN card..thts the prob.. :(
    and there is a yellow mark in front of the network controller :(

10. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Wee...

Reputations:
    Try check the hardware id from device manager under that yellow mark, then use the hardware id to google the driver/name...

For the last act, most likely means you need to go the device manager, and right click the broadcom, properties, driver, update driver, browse my computer, let me pick, then click Have Disk, browse the broadcom driver extracted folder and install...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.