Acer Aspire TimelineX 4820TG Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Acer' started by aylafan, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheChappie

TheChappie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This was my experience as well. I also got my 4820TG through J&R. If possible, maybe consider getting your money back and going through J&R, they are great and have great customer service. It was a little more than new egg (20 bucks) but since they had it in stock and newegg didn't, I lived with it. ;)

Also I'd like to attest to the quality of the screen. It's been great for me so far, very vibrant and pleasant to look at, renders everything wonderfully. Was playing some DoD:S earlier and it handled it beautifully with full settings.

2. cykotoxik

cykotoxik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I definitely agree. J&R has excellent customer service and competitive prices & price matching. And they also
    have an excellent return/exchange policy.

I have the peace of mind, if I'm not completely satisfied or something
    malfunctions, I can easily exchange or return with no restocking fee.

An added bonus for me, J&R (retail location / customer service dept.)
    is a short drive or subway away if the need for an exchange/return is required. :)

As for me, another reason I had to avoid NewEgg because I would've been charged $50+ in tax,
    I didn't have to pay any tax ordering from J&R.

3. TheChappie

Reputations:
    Yeah, I'm just outside of Philly and it was great. Got it to me in two days, no issues. Customer service confirmed delivery time for me, and they package all of their stuff properly. Even big brown couldn't break it. ;)

4. aznguy123

aznguy123 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My Acer was packaged exactly as you described. I ordered another 4820TG from Amazon and it should be here Saturday. I hope this screen doesn't have the same issue with color balance and vertical lines. I can live with the terrible viewing angles...but not the vertical lines :)

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    If you read back in the 3820TG thread, some of the early Canadian 3820TG's had this same problem with the lines. It is a defect IMO. The color issues, on the other hand might just be balance. Has anyone generated a profile for the 4820TG yet?

Bronsky:cool:

6. howard911s

howard911s Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I am looking to buy

AS4820TG-7805

However on some of the pic I saw on GOOGLE it showed there's a long extended battery that raise the laptop at the bottom to a 30 degrees angle. Could anyone that owns it confirm whether this is the case or only if you get the extended battery? thanks..
    Howard

7. TheChappie

Reputations:
    That is the extended cell battery. The standard battery on the 4820 does not raise it all, nor look out of form with the rest of the body.

8. howard911s

howard911s Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Thank you so much, would you mind telling me how the fan noise is? i expect a reasonable fan noise with all these powerful hardware, but is it notoriously loud like HP laptops or its pretty quiet..

Also does battery on power saving last at least 5-6 hours? thanks again...

9. TheChappie

Reputations:
    So far, I've had my battery do a little over 5 one day with regular use, and a little over 7 today with lighter use, both on powersave mode.

the fan is pretty quiet. I'm coming from a Dell inspiron 1520 that was close to the end, and had it's fan going a lot, but I really have not noticed this fan at all. It actually seems to stay relatively cool pretty easily, I guess it's designed to breath well.

My only beef so far is that I wish the touch pad had the click feature that the envy has, but it's been amazing so far. It's light weight is probably the biggest impression I've had. It has gone to class with me every day so far (the last 3 days) and I have not noticed it at all. Much lighter and more portable than my old inspiron, and I don't need to bring the power cable as long as I have a full battery (even though I do anyway... I get paranoid ;)).

10. Galin2

Galin2 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, here some temps from my german 4820TG/460M/5650.
    Should serve as a comparison for other owners. Comments will be of course appreciated although I already know that the temps are high.

Idle temps at stock clocks.
    [​IMG]

Prime95 (blend test + 4 threads) + FurMark at stock clocks for about 10 min.
    [​IMG]

Same as in the second pic except 5650@750/1000.
    [​IMG]
    CPU throttled at 102 degrees 2-3 times for about 2 sec.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.