Acer Aspire TimelineX 3820TG mods/tweaks ONLY!

Discussion in 'Acer' started by prikolchik, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lennong

Lennong Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ecxellent guide! It's a bit unclear however if one should add "Allow user to modify other modules" and "No SLIC" to the rest of the default marked options, OR if one should ONLY have "Allow user to modify other modules" and "No SLIC" marked.

The author to the Phoenix tool could change the defaults at will and then this guide would be obsolete or even hazardous.;)

2. inteks

inteks Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    "add" this to options leave the rest default !!!

btw. its a good idea to use the modded bios from this post ;)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/ace...nix-bios-bios-mod-request-73.html#post6763651

3. Lennong

Lennong Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks, I will after I have confirmed the voltage increase to stick and have new OC values for the 5650. :D

EDIT: It did not stick, no changes in voltage. It did only mess up the bios so that I could not get any VDDC readings and no Powerplay. So, using RBE for upping voltage is useless.

4. aunmar

aunmar Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Is it possible to make a tweak to change playback devices on the desktop? Like Fn + (random key).

5. Wally33

Wally33 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It seems as though upping the voltage is going to be the hard part here, I changed the file name of
    OPROM01.ROM to OPROM02.ROM and vice versa however once i flashed the bios, nothing had changed. the good news is it didn't Brick my lappie:)
    Keep up the good work Lennong
    We must be close to a breakthrough here :p

On another note,
    @Prikolchik I think that a disclaimer applying to all guides contained in this thread would be a neat idea for the front page

6. _InKr_

_InKr_ Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @All

I still have not found proper way to work with EC under Win7.
    So I've started investigation of Acer's KBCs for BIOSes 1.17 and 1.19.

And, seems, I found where FAN speed tables (several entries) are located.
    For 1.17 (W07AC114.bin) - offset 0x1c05a.
    For 1.19 (W07AC115.bin) - offset 0x1c162.

Not sure if it'll work if change that speeds (maybe there is some sort of CRC used), but think - this is more preferable way to control speeds than EC.

7. kubco2

kubco2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @prikolchik Can you write detailed tutorial how to enable lower brightness on Windows? Thanks

8. prikolchik

prikolchik Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Could you provide a screenshot with short description? I have looked at W07AC115.bin offset 0x1c062 and don't see anything of interest.

I have not found an easy way to lower brightness on Windows when on Intel-only or Switchable graphics. You CAN lower brightness when on ATI-only card. You can do it by using RWEverything and in EC window select [0x84] register and write a value of 0x03-0x64 (3% to 100% in hexadecimal).
    However, you CAN set to lower brightness on Windows if you have a modified BIOS with extra brightness levels added. I have created a test BIOS image and it works great. It needs further testing before I release it to the public. I want to add even more levels and Linux support too.

9. _InKr_

_InKr_ Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Wrong offset, sorry :(. 0x1c162 is correct

Attached Files:

• KBC.png
      KBC.png
      File size:
      18.8 KB
      Views:
  10. zsero

zsero Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    About the fan control, what I found out is that it doesn't matter what BIOS version is being used, it's entirely dependent on the KBC.

On my machine I have the really annoying never ending sine-wave cycle on ATI fan, when I have KBC from 1.17 or 1.19. So I still have to use KBC 1.13 (no probs with BIOS 1.19). The fan controller was changed between 1.13 and 1.17. There is no difference I found between 1.17 and 1.19 (just from experience).

The fan controller from 1.13:
    - makes a big noise when switched on
    - controls fan in discreet levels, like 0,1,2,3,4,5

The fan controller from 1.17 or 1.19
    - much more quiet
    - doesn't make a big noise
    - controls fans in smooth levels, there is a continous gradient between levels.
    - has an infinite loop bug on my ATI fan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.