Acer Aspire TimelineX 3820TG mods/tweaks ONLY!

Discussion in 'Acer' started by prikolchik, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trauman

Trauman Newbie

Reputations:
    I've found possible to use 3 screen configuration (laptop + vga monitor + hdmi TV) on Gentoo Linux with open-source ATI drivers. I dont really know if its possible to use this config with closed drivers (I'll try it later). Any way now i'm waiting for hdmi-vga converter to connect my laptop to 2 similar monitors (they dont have an hdmi port). As long as converter will be shipped, i submit a video showing this config.

The next thing: what standard is used by unsoldered mPCI-e interface?
    Will it work right after installation?

2. Wally33

Wally33 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey Trauman, would love to see that video, I was led to believe that it was not possible to run 3 monitors so that's great.

On the note of the unsoldered mini PCIe slot, it is full mini PCI-e and not whitelisted or disabled from what I know.

3. Trauman

Trauman Newbie

Reputations:
    Which revision of the interface is used in this notebook?

EDIT: nevermind, i've found in a service manual that 3820 supports PCI 2.2

4. i-render

i-render Newbie

Reputations:
  5. prikolchik

prikolchik Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for sharing this!

Now that we have schematics, lets see if we can figure out some fun mods for 3820TG :D

Mods I've had on my mind lately:
    - Add eSata port
    - Add more USB ports (internal/external)
    - Connect desktop video card using mPCI-e card

6. i-render

i-render Newbie

Reputations:
    1- esata is not provided on this motherboard (only one sata. There is not even a second hidden :( )
    2- on the motherboard there are 9 usb outputs. three of them are external connectors. the others are on the motherboard. description is on the 15th page of schematics.
    3- Yes, it is possible, though a little difficult. You will need to make the adaptor. And video card will need to be fed from an external power supply

Sorry for my English, I'm from Russia

7. prikolchik

prikolchik Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Don't worry, your English is great. Thanks the information!

For (3), Looking at the schematics, the PCIe lines are connected to mPCIe slot, right? If that is the case, then it is completely do-able. There is a thread on this forum on how to connect desktop card to a laptop. You need to add the missing mPCI slot, buy a special card (~$80), set some settings in the BIOS (which actually exist in unlocked 3820TG BIOS) and it should work.

Do you know if it possible to undervolt/overclock the CPU via hardware mod?

Could you please check if it is possible to connect Intel graphics to HDMI port? Currently, if the laptop has both Intel & ATI card, HDMI only works with ATI card. I remember reading on forum.ixbt.com that it is possible to wire Intel card to HDMI port too and it is only a matter of adding a few small SMDs worth less than $1.

Any other mods you could recommend?

PS: I have posted scans of 3820TG motherboard sometime ago.

8. i-render

i-render Newbie

Reputations:
    (If you connect the video card directly to miniPCI-E)
    Сonnect the desktop video card to the TG version makes no sense. This will work, but the speed will be limited by the pci-e x 1 v 1.0 (the maximum for the video cards on the miniPCI-E). This speed will achieve performance class video card GF 8600gt. My opinion is that it's not worth it.

I haven't thought about it yet. Maybe later on this week

In this case, it is physically impossible. HDMI will only work on ATI. It's my opinion. Although the scheme will need to be revised

I have a Acer 3820TG. I already did the mod for soldering miniPCI-E connector and SIM connector. Tomorrow I will test the 3G UMTS modem Option GTM380. Expect photos. I also tested the miniPCI-E TV tuner (Mini PCI-E Avermedia A316 Analog Digital DVB-T TV Card) and it worked:)

You can think of a lot of interesting

Yes, I noticed long ago. Thank you very much for this

9. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    This has been done on 3820TG. See http://forum.notebookreview.com/8246405-post7766.html
    3820TG have Intel HD Graphics. Combine it with Nvidia Fermi desktop graphic card, you'll be able to do Optimus setup. Optimus provide PCIe data compression which boost performance via PCIe x1 link. With Optimus also, you will get acceleration on internal LCD but the performance is much better if using external monitor. If using internal LCD, the performance is less than using external monitor because the data sent to external graphic card & the frame sent from external graphic card to internal LCD are using single PCIe x1 link (5Gb/s concurrent). So, using external monitor is recommended. Please see result in the link^^.

10. inteks

inteks Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    is it possible to connect an external soundcard on m-pcie ? i miss native asio and HQ audio IN on my AudioWorkstation ;o)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.