Acer Aspire TimelineX 3820TG mods/tweaks ONLY!

Discussion in 'Acer' started by prikolchik, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noutch91

Noutch91 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi!

Did anybody try to replace the screen with a touchscreen panel?
    I am interested in Windows 8 Metro UI development, it would be useful for testing multitouch instead of buying another windows device.

See ya!

2. Just_a_Nick

Just_a_Nick Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Should be possible but you have to use a USB port for the touch function or include a small usb hub between the webcam and the motherboard.

3. prikolchik

prikolchik Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I tried it on 10.10 and it worked fine, just like I described. I don't use switcheroo anymore; I flashed to the modded BIOS with hidden menu unlocked and now running in Intel-only mode.

I have installed flgrx just to see if it is possible to turn off the card in the driver, but couldn't find any settings (this was on 11.04).

I think the lifetime of the chip that stores EC firmware is very limited (200 writes?). Could anyone look through the datasheet and find the number of writes the chip can take before corrupting data?
    - Winbond 25Q32BVSIG (image, pinout, datasheet)

My modded BIOS is based on kizwan's (with Intel hidden menu unlocked) and has the following modifications:
    - additional brightness levels (1,2,4,6,8%) [works great with "Adjust brightness" in Power Options. doesn't work well with brightness hotkeys]
    - reloaded the SLIC table (needed for OEM Windows activation), because some tools said it was corrupted

If you want my modded BIOS: Acer.3820TG.BIOS.v1.19.SLIC.fix.brightness.levels.zip

I tried to do extra modifications and fix all the BIOS bugs (such as brightness not working on ATI-dicrete in Windows), but, unfortunately, every single BIOS I created after the one mentioned above would fail to work and I had to restore.

I have given up on BIOS modding as I have found a much simpler way. I use Linux, and instead of modifying the BIOS (DSDT table in particular) to fix brightness, I figured out how it works, and then created a simple script that I can use to change brightness to any level without any BIOS modification. Works fine on Linux, but it will NOT work on Windows.

Here is the script in case anyone wants to have a look at it: http://pastebin.com/ZCXcqDrr

It requires:
    - for intel/switchable: acpi_call module loaded. Can be compiled and installed using custom Makefile. After installing, to load automatically at startup add "modprobe acpi_call" to "/etc/rc.local" before "exit 0"
    - for ATI: need to download acer_ec.pl. Save it somewhere, make executable (chmod u+x acer_ec.pl). Then open MY script and make sure $EXEC_EC variable is properly set to location of acer_ec.pl

How to use:
    Code:
     # Usage: bcm [brightness level hex|dec between 0-100]
     #   If called with no args, current video mode and brightness is printed.
    Here is an example:
    Code:
    $ ./bcm 
    intel ==  16
    $  ./bcm 11
    intel == 11

Plumps_ likes this.
  4. zsero

zsero Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've read through the datasheet and I haven't found anything about write limits. BTW, I'm using the Symcmos modded original BIOS and I never had any problem with brightness settings, it works perfectly both in AMD and in Intel mode.

5. Just_a_Nick

Reputations:
    Which Bios version did you mod?

6. zsero

zsero Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Latest I think 1.19.

7. Just_a_Nick

Reputations:
    I have modded this version also and I'm not able to use the FN key in discrete AMD/ATI mode.

I was thinking about a fast solution of this problem. ;)

8. zsero

zsero Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    OK, I double check my versions and drivers and tell what version I have.

9. Just_a_Nick

Reputations:
    I is not so important I use the AMD only for the one or other game. The daily work is done with the Intel one and there are the keys working.

10. Antoan

Antoan Newbie

Reputations:
    Don't worry:) "More than 100,000 Block Erase/Program cycles for Industrial and Automotive temperature; more than
    10,000 full chip Erase/Program cycles tested in compliance with AEC-Q100." from datasheet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.