Acer Aspire TimelineX 3820TG mods/tweaks ONLY!

Discussion in 'Acer' started by prikolchik, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kubco2

kubco2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    is possible to mod notebook.
    When I open lid, notebook starts from hibernate, sleep, off state?

2. middleton

middleton Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You are probably wrong. It's not XOR. Checksum is just a simple sum of all bytes. Let's see:

0xFF + 0xD0 + 0xB6 + 0x9E + 0x81 + 0x6F + 0x6F + 0x6F + 0x6F = 0x0560

0xFF + 0x9E + 0xB6 + 0xD0 + 0x81 + 0x6F + 0x6F + 0x6F + 0x6F = 0x0560

0xFF + 0xFF + 0xB6 + 0xD0 + 0x81 + 0x6F + 0x6F + 0x6F + 0x0E = 0x0560

0xFF + 0xFF + 0xFF + 0xD0 + 0x81 + 0x6F + 0x6F + 0x6F + 0x47 = 0x05E2

0xFF + 0xFF + 0xFF + 0xD0 + 0x81 + 0x6F + 0x6F + 0x26 + 0x0E = 0x0560

So we even don't need to find the exact place where checksum is stored. We can take an unused fan table and change bytes in it so that all firmware bytes would be summed to the original value.

3. _InKr_

_InKr_ Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hmm, this really makes sense. But what do you think is checksum stored as BYTE, WORD or DWORD value?

I mean for BYTE checksum of FD+43+8E will be CE (01CE), for WORD - 01CE, for DWORD - 000001CE.

4. middleton

Reputations:
    At the moment I don't know for sure. There are several suspicious places that could store checksum but we should be 100% sure before trying to change bytes in such places.
    I'll inform you here when I get positive (or negative) results.

5. mdott

mdott Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Basic mod, and sorry if this has been asked before:

When I first read about the 3820 (then the 3820tg) well before it came out (i kept searching and searching until one day it finally appeared on google lol), I had originally read that there was some massive keyboard flex. Now, my keyboard has been nothing but sturdy, and I've always wondered what those people were talking about.. No flex in the middle of my keyboard, nothing. Is that because we have the 13.3" model? I'm not sure.

Nonetheless, I come bearing questions. I'm looking to ditch my stupid bilingual keyboard as I've had enough of the left shift key and the stupid symbols on my keyboard lol. How are the quality of keyboards from ebay? Are there any recommendations on where to buy from (maybe you bought from this person/store online and you're happy). And what about flex? I'm still unsure about this whole flex issue and if it even exists, but I ask anyways because hey, you never know.

Cheers.

I know it can't be done from the off-state. The sleep/hibernate lid-open doesn't work with the acer, unfortunately. Or at least not mine. Apparently it's a bios option, but not built in to our acers. I wonder if anybody has figured this out..? I've been curious too.

6. Just_a_Nick

Just_a_Nick Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Could be done if we able to compile code for the EC, but not at the moment.

Or just hardwire the function.

7. middleton

Reputations:
    I've checked versions W07AC110.bin, W07AC114.bin, W07AC115.bin. Insyde's code part (from 0x8000 to 0x20000) is definitely checksummed because this part is always summed to 0x5C in all three versions. So in our case, checksum is a BYTE value.

I suspect a byte at offset 0x8012 to be a checksum. After modifying the firmware we have to change the byte at offset 0x8012 so that all the bytes from 0x8000 to 0x20000 would be summed to 0x5C.

But you have to remember that all I said above is only an assumption. If you decide to make this modification, then you'll do it at your own risk. I can't guarantee on 100% that 0x8012 is a really checksum.

8. _InKr_

_InKr_ Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes, I confirm: this is BYTE sum. Which means that it is not so important where checksum actually is: any unused BYTE (from speed tables, for example) can be used in order to get checksum back to 0x5C value.

@all

So let us state that initial research part is over. Now we need to investigate which exact temp/speed tables are used in our laptops in order to modify only needed tables.

For speed tables it is relatively easy, just set all speed tables, for example, first 4 values to noticeable markers, e.g. first table: FE, FD, FC, FB; 2nd table EE, ED, EC, EB, etc...
    *Don't forget about checksum

Flash resulted EC firmware. Then open EC view in RW-Everything and play with battery/AC power, Active/Passive cooling policy (in Advanced Power Plan options) and check in RW-Everything what markers are showed for what mode.

For temp tables - utility is needed which will allow us to change CPU/GPU load for any required level 0..100%. Any suggestions? If no - I can try to write such, at least for CPU (hopefully - new week).

9. mdott

mdott Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Anybody care to share their keyboard mod experiences? :)

10. Just_a_Nick

Just_a_Nick Notebook Deity

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.