Acer Aspire Timeline Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Tocharius, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Jayayess1190

Jayayess1190 Waiting on Intel Cannonlake

Reputations:
    Does this warranty work on Timeline's? The warranty expires on my 3810t in July and I want to extend it at least 2 more years.

2. KrazyStuff

KrazyStuff Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was reading this thread, and the discussion on the LG/AUO LCD panels and have a question:

Has anyone been able to upgrade the stock 4810t LCD to a higher resolution, such as 1600 x 900? Any reason why it would not work?

Thanks!

3. MoBe

MoBe Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I own two 3810t laptops.One is model #AS3810TZ-4630 purchased in Sept./`09 from Best-Buy as an open box item.I chose this particular model primarily for it`s screen resolution of 1366x768 which I considered to be the best of any laptop in this pricerange.Functionaly it works fine as far as I can tell,then again I am new to laptops in general and do not pretend to know any better.The one thing I can say with certainty is that the keyboard does not have a very good feel to it and I suspect this unit may have been a return item for that reason.The keyboard is the bilingual french/english version with the alternate green letters/symbols as you may have seen at local retailers.

The second laptop is model #AS3810TZ-4880 purchased used locally but not a canadian market model as evidenced by the english only keyboard.The specs. of these two laptops are identical however there are differences.The model #`4880 has a keyboard with a much better feel to it.The keys have a more positive and smooth action to them,alltogether with a much more satisfeing user experience to it.Now to the other difference.The screen! It`s not as good as the #4630 version and I can`t figure out why,it seems to have different resolution.Perhaps due to a different screen manufacturer.Maybe the screen was replaced at some time.

4. jmmorgado

jmmorgado Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello!
    I just would like to say that there are more up to date drivers on Acer Website. Head over to the Acer 3811TG and you will see newer drivers (I don't know why aren't they on 3810tg too).
    The ATI's do not solve the suspend issue but I think that my battery life gets more stable!
    I think you guys should give a try too!

:)

5. hardc0re

hardc0re Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for pointing this out. But actually the driver versions are almost the same as the 3810, just that the dates are different.

There is an unofficial *fix* for the ATI suspend issue now - the modified BIOS by advan20092. His BIOS allows 3810TG users to set the graphics to Intel-only or ATI-only, so if you want maximum battery life you can use Intel-only mode. Been using it for a week or so now, and very happy with it.

The plus side is you can use the latest Intel graphics drivers, and also in ATI-only mode you can install the new Catalyst 10.3 preview.

The minus side is no on-the-fly switchable graphics and HDMI output only works with ATI graphics.

6. joemmi

joemmi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the 3810TZG version and use the BIOS 1.17 which is what it came with. But even with this version, the fan is always on when connected to AC power supply. ONLY when powering up, it is quiet for about 10 minutes but then starts and only stops when not using it for ca. 5 minutes (which is probably the energy saving mode).
    So is there really a big difference to the 1.20 ?? Basically it is always ON I fear...

I thought of downgrading the BIOS whether it might help but fear of upgrading to 1.20. It is really annoying and hopefully one day it will be fixed.
    Otherwise I might MOD it soldering a resistor in order to reduce the speed of then fan, but obviously a software/BIOS solution would be far superior. Still hoping...

7. hardc0re

hardc0re Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi advan20092,

I just tried the setting in your unlocked BIOS to change the 'memory frequency' from AUTO to 667Mhz on my 3810TG. It works! Now my RAM runs at 667MHz instead of 800Mhz, and battery life is better! It seems to save around 0.5 to 1.0W power consumption, and I don't notice any slowdowns yet.

I notice that the option is either AUTO or 667, and it controls the RAM multipler. Does it look like there's an option to make the RAM run at 1066MHz?

Its funny that Acer ships our Timeline 3810s with DDR3-1066 RAM but it runs at 800MHz.

8. seam2

seam2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  9. Les

Les Not associated with NotebookReview in any way

Reputations:
    I see you did that with a SU9400. Was it necessary to do a hardware mod (soldering) or did you do it solely through software?

Battery life...any thoughts after the mod?

10. seam2

seam2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

No need hardware mod. double clicking OC_RTM875T_250.exe is enough:) it is stable so far so good. But since i recently start using no comment about battery life yet.

Actually it is possible to reach 1862mhz (266fsb, DDR3 1066mhz) you have to update pll control register byte count 00 to 80 with setfsb but sudden restart happens after update. After os loads it shows 1862mhz and seems stable
    http://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=17:35660-127

Moded bios comes from: http://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=17:35660-131