1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Acer Aspire Timeline Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Tocharius, Jun 19, 2009.

1. advan20092

advan20092 Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Maybe when I will have a free time

2. dakai

dakai Newbie

Reputations:
    I have flashed my 3810TZ with the modded BIOS (BIOS_Acer_3810_1.28_patch.rar) but the fan is running always anyway. I checked the BIOS and the settings is 65C for fan to start but it's always on while temperature is only around 40C. Is there something else I must change in the BIOS?

3. RF_REFLEX

RF_REFLEX Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I have a similar problem after flashing of my 3410T. BIOS is enhanced now, but fan is furious as before :)
    I see comment here (http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/391646-acer-aspire-timeline-owners-lounge-202.html#post6955205) from advan and he wrote that "Yes, fan table is hardcoded - it is fixed array of numbers, so it can't be changed in power menu."
    I also think that morning will be better after flashing.
    But anyway - thanks a lot for good work of authors of flash.
    Good luck.

4. pillowshot

pillowshot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone think you can put the matte 8371 lcd screen onto the 3810tg?

5. mauveron

mauveron Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  6. markopoloyoko

markopoloyoko Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi I have the same issue.
    I flashed the same BIOS on my 3810T and the fan is always on.
    Does anyone have a solution for this.
    I read some posts before, that their laptops are silent now.
    Please tell me, if there are any options in the BIOS menu that can change this.

by the way:
    is it possible to save a bios file with insydeflash, before updating it?
    if the fan issue can't be fixed, i would like to go back to v1.07. which is currently running on a friends 3810tg.
    Or does anyone have a file from v1.07? it is not on the acer website.

7. Alwesp

Alwesp Newbie

Reputations:
    Can you give me the link? I hope it works in the version 1.22 too...

8. bolt.pt

bolt.pt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I soldered the keyboard led-power cable to USB pins on the motherboard and it works great.
    I do NOT advise any motherboard solder mod unless you know someone who know what he's doing and have decent solder skills, because it isn't that hard to fry the board x)

I used copper wires to bridge the USB-cable connection btw

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
  10. sleepeeg3

sleepeeg3 Newbie

Reputations:
    For those of you with a black screen of death on a 3810T or similar laptop, I highly recommend the replacement bios from biosdepot on eBay. It works!

Several months back, my 3810T decided it did not want to post anymore. Tried the Acer Aspire One USB recovery trick many, many times on different USB ports using different USB sticks and it does not work, so I assume it does not work on the Timeline. Screen LED would sometimes light up, but no output via the VGA port, so I figured the BIOS or board was toast. Since boards don't generally just die, it was probably a corrupted BIOS. Tried replacing the screen anyway, because my screen was previously starting to go out, but did not fix the issue.

Steps to replace:
    1. Buy replacement BIOS from biosdepot on eBay or another source
    2. Dismantle laptop using this guideline.
    3. Bios chip is on the underside of the motherboard under a piece of black tape. On page 53 of the .pdf, you can see the CMOS battery in blue at the bottom. BIOS chip is just outside of the picture at the bottom right.
    4. Remove tape and note the orientation of the BIOS chip. Write this down or take a picture. There is an indentation at one corner.
    5. Gently pry underneath BIOS chip and off board with a screwdriver
    6. Solder new bios chip back in place in the same orientation. I used a 40w soldering iron with a fine tip and held each pin in place until the existing solder reflowed over each pin.
    7. Reassemble board and cross your fingers!

As an alternative, you can try pulling the wire that connects the CMOS battery to the board and leaving it unplugged overnight to clear the BIOS. This may or may not work.

There were also two buttons on the board that may have been CMOS reset buttons. However, I believe one was for power and the other was on the VGA port, so I am unsure of the function.

Also, on another Acer laptop, someone said bridging the G1 - G2 contact points would also clear the CMOS. I found two contact points near the BIOS that might function this way.

Since I already bought the BIOS chip, I did not bother with any of these alternatives.

11. Vihsadas

Vihsadas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just curious which settings you played around with. I didn't know about the Timeline BIOS recovery feature so I had to spend money to get them to fix it! :(

12. profet

profet Newbie

Reputations:
    OK, 3810TGZ with a rather odd problem.

I've updated the modded 1.28 bios - it works fine. except...

when I turn on the laptop, or resume from sleep it gets to the "press f2 to enter bios" screen and then no further. If I control-alt-del it gets stuck at the same place a few times, then the next time books to windows fine.

Some times it gets stuck on the "press f2 to enter bios", sometimes it just gives me a cursor at the top of a black screen. It always eventually boots - after three or four "cont/alt/dels".

I've restored the official bios, and it works perfectly again. I donloaded the modded bios again, and reinstalled it - and once again it won't boot windows the first few times.

Its more of an annoyance than a total disaster - but does anyone have any ideas why this is happening and how to fix it?

I've not made any changes to the bios btw.

Thanks!

13. lm75093

lm75093 Newbie

Reputations:
    Profet, this may not help with your problem but wanted to post this for everyone else that owns an Acer Aspire 3810 / 4810 with random freeze. I have an Acer Aspire 4810TZ and was getting random freezes for no apparent reason. I clean installed the OS, updated all drivers, and didn't install any other software and it would still freeze. Friend of mine told me to take out the additional stick of memory and that seems to have fixed the problem for good. Now makes me think it is a problem with the motherboard. Hope someone finds this post helpful.

14. advan20092

advan20092 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    profet, do you have something in card-rider?

15. inkey

inkey Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,
    I have an aspire timeline 5830TG. Any tips to maximize battery life since it has a built-in battery?

16. profet

profet Newbie

Reputations:
    I had a microSD to SD adaptor with ~no microSD card in it - but taking that out has fixed the problem - weird!

Anyhow, thanks for the tip!

OK, since we are on a roll, another problem...

When my 3810tgz wakes from sleep the USB ports don't work - device manager says the controllers cannot start. If I disable and re-enable them again they work. Any ideas?

17. gollum

gollum Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    I hope someone can help me…
    Here`s my problem:
    I have a notebook Acer Aspire 4410 with H2O bios, Win 7 Ultimate. I wanted to do a bios update from Acer site, but something went wrong (very).
    Now my laptop is stuck on startup on “press F2 to enter setup” screen, and no button is working
    Please, if there is something I can do, teach me!!
    My entire work is on this laptop!
    HELP ME PLEASE!
    Thank you in advance!

18. lip-sink

lip-sink Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you happen to encounter a bad BIOS/EFI flash do the following:

Put flas(no space)hit.exe (DOS) on a Thumbdrive
    Rename the BIOS/EFI Image file to JM31X64.fd this is for 3810t: replace with your unit's bios .fd file) and put it in the thumbdrive as well
    Plug in the thumbdrive to the powered down machine
    Press and hold 3 buttons Fn + Esc + Power Button (With AC Adapter + Battery plugged in)
    Release when it reads the thumbdrive.
    After a while you should hear fan spinning furiously after it is done it should boot fine
    All the above will work provided you didn't screw up the bootblock.

gollum if any trouble just write me and send me your email address; i can send you the whole bios recovery fileset. mine is for 3810t timeline. you should just need to change the bios file by extracting the .fd file from your unit's latest bios update.

19. Ruttolomeo

Ruttolomeo Newbie

Reputations:
    where i can get the bios with modded fan trip points ?
    I got an as3810tz

20. dandeman

dandeman Newbie

Reputations:

I have the acer 3810TZ and having the same problem.

Installed the modded Bios, but still the fan is very noisy and doesn't calm down at low temperatures.

Is there anything else I can do? I can see the settings in the bios, and set the temperature to 70, but nothing happens.

Do I have to change some other settings, or is there any other solution?

thnx, for your help!