Acer Aspire S7 Ultrabooks

Discussion in 'Acer' started by BigNerd, Jun 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vacaloca

vacaloca Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    o_O 11.6" Full HD? Jeez... I feel like a 17.3" FHD is already cramped... I can't even imagine that on an 11.6" screen!

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    Should be interesting to see the pricing on this. This could put Acer back in the game if the display is decent and it has thunderbolt support for an external GPU.

3. Free_French

Free_French Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Acer Aspire S7 Windows 8 touchscreen Ultrabook release detailed | News | TechRadar

4. BamAlmighty

BamAlmighty Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any idea on US release and pricing?

5. Free_French

Reputations:
  6. shepdawg

shepdawg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  7. Wiz33

Wiz33 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm trying to decide between the W700 and the S7s. I'm trying to replace both my current W500 and laptop with one device.I played with all 3 awhile back but I still can't decide. W700 is nice but the dock and keyboard is bulky. if you need to travel with them then you might as well get a S7 11.6 which is actually less bulk to carry. Another problem for me is that 1920x1080 on a 11.6" is a bit hard on these old eyes but the 11.6" S7 I played with was a engineering sample with a 1366x768 screen which I thought was perfect. Sure the S7 is a bit more but it's actually less thing to carry around.

Moving to the 13.3" help on the eyes but is much more expensive. I wish they have a i5 model with 256GB as I don't really think I would need an i7 but you are force to jump from ~$1400 to ~$1650 if you want the 256GB SSD.

Storage is a problem with all 3 since the W700 does not have an SD slot and while the S7 does, It's one where half the SD card sticks out while plugged in (you wouldn't want to carry the thing around with half a SD card sticking out the side) so you can't add more storage at a low cost.

8. Free_French

Reputations:
  9. ellalan

ellalan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Very poor battery usage time, most of these Ultrabooks are being advertised without that particular information.

10. Wiz33

Wiz33 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't know how they perform their "Standard Battery Test" but my personal experience with the S7 11.6" is much better. I looped a ~2 hours HD mkv file at about 20% brightness and 30% volume almost twice before the unit auto shutdown on me. I would say you can probably get about 4 hours of practical use before you run out of battery.

EDIT: Given that the unit I used only have a 1366x768 screen. Driving a 1920x1080 will probably takes up a bit more power but I would think you would still see at least 3+ hours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.