Acer Aspire E 15 vs ASUS K501UW?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Crazycops, Mar 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crazycops

Crazycops Newbie

Reputations:
    I do not care about the GPU as I know that the ASUS has a NVIDIA 960M vs the 940MX on the Acer. I just need to know which laptop has the better battery life when not playing games (browsing the internet, normal brightness). Also note that there is exactly a 100$ price difference between the two.

Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575G-76YK: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-E5-575G-53VG-15-6-Inch-Windows/dp/B01F1Z78GM/

ASUS K501UW-AB78: https://www.amazon.com/K501UW-AB78-15-6-inch-Full-HD-Gaming-Glacier/dp/B01DT49XN8/

2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    Battery life will depend on the battery size. Both use low-voltage CPUs so power draw will be very close while working. For gaming, however, the 960M is a LOT more powerful than the 940MX - expect around double the performance.

If all you need is good battery life - both are poor choices. A much better option would be a T460 for about 950$ from Lenovo http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/t460s/?sb=:00000025:00003CEB:

It has 2 internal batteries giving you upwards of 10 hours of battery life. That will be MUCH more than anything that those 2 models you've pointed out could ever achieve.

For reference, while Acer may claim 12 hours of battery life, reviewers point out that getting more than 7 while actively using the device is pretty hard. In contrast, the T460 should easily be able to achieve more.

3. Crazycops

Crazycops Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, thanks for the suggestion, the only reason I had to limit my options to the two laptops is because they are the only one's that fit my requirements: SSD storage, Windows 10, dedicated graphic card, good battery life, below 900$. The Lenovo T460 has better battery, but no dedicated GPU.

4. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    What do you need a dGPU for? If gaming, don't bother - the low-power ULV CPUs are really poor in terms of performance - they're slower than a Pentium G4560 or i3 6100 - they're meant for low-demanding tasks such as word processing and internet browsing. Not demanding stuff such as gaming, photo editing, video editing or encoding.

5. Crazycops

Crazycops Newbie

Reputations:
    But I read reviews that say it can easily run light games like Overwatch, Counter Strike, etc. and that's all I need.

6. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Overwatch - it will not run well - teamfights will drop frames a lot.
    CS - will run fine but won't be able to maintain consistent high fps in newer maps and when a lot of things are happening - which is kinda required for competitive play.

Additonally - 940MX is pretty **** unless you are playing at 768p - at 1080p, the 940MX is garbage. 960M is the absolute minimum for low settings 1080p in modern games.

7. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nvidia should refrain from making GPUs like the 920M, 940M and 940MX because even the latest iGPUs (Iris Pro or HD) can give them a run for the money. It just makes laptops more expensive for theoretically no added value.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

don_svetlio likes this.
  8. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Ryzen + Polaris APUs are the future of low end laptop gaming - Imagine an RX 450 + Ryzen 3 APU 2c/4tin a 400$ machine. Would kill any Intel ULV + 940MX

SkidrowSKT likes this.
  9. edit1754

edit1754 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Same for Intel and the dual-core low-voltage 'i7' branded CPUs like the i7-6500U. The i5-6200U and i7-6500U are extremely close in performance. IMO both CPUs should carry the 'i5' brand, shouldn't have a huge cost difference, and the 'i7' brand should be reserved exclusively for full-voltage quad-cores and up. I think the current branding scheme is far more misleading than it is descriptive, and results in laptops that choose this CPU in order to sound better in advertising, rather than put the cost difference towards things that actually will be noticeable to the end-user, such as a decent display.

With that, display quality is a significant issue for these two laptops. Both use non-WVA-type TN panels, with very poor contrast and viewing angles. The difference between this type of display, and a decent IPS panel, can be seen here: https://i.imgur.com/Sajajqc.jpg

A good GPU alongside a decent IPS panel, in this price range, can be found in these two:
    - http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/Laptops/hp-power-pavilion-laptop--15t-x7p44av-1 (better game performance)
    - https://www.amazon.com/Dell-15-6-Inch-Quad-Core-i5-6300HQ-Processor/dp/B015PYYDMQ/ (better battery life)

This one also may or may not be IPS -- I'm hearing mixed reports. https://www.amazon.com/i5-6300HQ-keyboard-Microsoft-signature-Anti-Glare/dp/B01LXCBXQO/

EDIT: One of the top reviews says it is indeed IPS! That ZX53VW is pretty much a direct alternative to the K501UW but with a good display and a non-misleading CPU, albeit a bit thicker.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  10. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The i7-6500U has 2 cores, 4 threads while the i5-6200U has 2 cores and 2 threads.
    The hyperthreading in the i7-6500U is very beneficial because it makes it perform on par with the i3-6100H, a very rare quad core CPU found in gaming laptops with a very low TDP.
    I agree though, the i5-6200U and the i3-6005U are not even close to suitable for heavy loads, and yet laptop makers still insert a cr*p NVidia card and make it more expensive.
    The absolute lowest standard any person must consider while shopping for laptops aimed at performance is an i5-6300HQ (I haven't yet found a laptop with the i3-6100H, if there was, I would have recommended it), paired with a GTX 950M or this year's GTX 1050.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.