Acer Aspire 8942G Core i7 Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Acer' started by aleicgrant, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    I have to admit, that is very sexy notebook. 4 slot for RAM but the maximum it can go still up to 8GB RAM. So I don't know what is the advantage with this configuration. If I'm not mistaken (I'm not a computer geek ;) ) this should improve memory performance.

2. shaneee

shaneee Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    There is no 8942g that has mxm...just overclock it if you want more performance...but be aware.. my laptop is repaired... the switched the mainbord loool.....i started 2 see strange pixels en lines all over the screen:p iam verry carefull now with my lapptop...

3. seaman

seaman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you have overheating problems when you overclocked your video card ?
    What do you think was to much overclocked - core or memory ?

4. shaneee

shaneee Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    i think i overclocked core 2 much, i clocked it 750, i noticed that it gave me only an increase of 1-2 frames:S! it also was verry unstable!..mem instead, i clocked it 2 1050, it gave me an increase of 5 frames max. i have tested it with the game Metro 2033..after oc, this game runs better:D

But then i starder 2 see strange green pixels all over the screen. i thought my screen was broken.. but acer replaced the whole motherboard!

So my advice is don't clock core 2 much stay under 700mhz...mem can be overclocked 2 around 1000mhz.

my lap:

core: 700mhz
    mem: 1000mhz

i saw a part of an 8943g in notebookcheck.net:

"VRAM also only has a speed of 800 MHz rather than 1,000 MHz, which is a further hindrance"

8943g has the same card as 8942g

So i think stupid acer downclocked this card 2 800mhz:S this card is made foor 1000mhz..core is @ max speed so don't overclock it 2 much

also don't forget 2 plug in the power suply when overclocking this machine:D or else you will get some driver errors

5. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    Does the strange green pixels still there even when you set back to standard clocks?

6. seaman

Reputations:
    Thanks for the tips SHANEEE.
    Do tou have any temperatures for core and memory to post ?

7. AspireMan

AspireMan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My GPU temps never went higher than 74° C (that's the highest one I managed to record in midst of summer), no matter what. Usually they're under 70° (depending on the game - that GTA IV and Crysis are real GPU/CPU heaters). Overclocked to 700/1000 GPU is just slightly hotter (+ 3-5° C), no artifacts or anything and performance gain is up to 5-6-7 fps.
    Speaking of temperatures, the highest CPU temp recorded was 82° C, usually under 78° (full load).

By the way, my laptop is still being repaired... They ordered a new screen bezel to fix that dust problem but they've got two variants - standard & flush (mine is flush - you can see both of them - standard & flush versions in Acer's Service Manual). I'm not sure if both of them can be attached, but I'll choose that 'standard' one which doesn't cover the lcd display all over and has two screws instead of plastic clips.
    And, unfortunately, one of my two HDDs just died so they'll replace it too... guess I'm lucky. :rolleyes:

8. seaman

Reputations:

9. shaneee

shaneee Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    i assume it is also i7 like mine..because i have the same max temps on full load when overclocked 2 700,1000mhz..i think the cooling is ok with 8942g.. i owned a 8930g 9700mgt and there the temp was a big problem.. max it was 97 degrees @stock clocks...the ati 5850 runs much cooler because of the lower clocks

@kizwan: when i reversed the clockes the pixels were still there.. i think something broke on my mobo, i thought it was the screen because i tested it on external monitor and the pixels were not there.

@Seaman: i don't have pictures or anything.. iw ill post it later.. but iam sure it was that temp, because i monitored it all the time. clocked @ 700, 1000,mhz gave me a temp of 74-75 max when playing a heavy game like Metro 2033

10. seaman

Reputations:
    So, I bought an Aspire 8942G with I5 - 430M, Radeon 8550, 8Gb RAM, Bluray, etc. Unfortunatelly , I am overseas - didnt even see the laptop wich was purchased by my family at my orders.

I hope I5 with Arrandale core will be cooler than I7; Bad news is that clockgenerator for this laptop it's a Silego SLG8SP585V wich does not support changing FSB. So, no overclock. I supoze, I have to replace CPU for a quad core, later, if I am satisfied with the laptop.

Check out this thread about this clock generator - http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/497374-pll-8760-w870cu.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.