Acer Aspire 8940g, trying to upgrade graphic card.

Discussion in 'Acer' started by FrEaZeR, Jun 2, 2018.

1. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  2. mpowCactus

mpowCactus Newbie

Reputations:
    I think m2200m is still the latest, in terms of when it was released, maybe not the greatest.

Cooling is a major issue with these old acer laptops, I think the heatsinks and fans would also need to replaced somehow.

it seems like mxm cards are not completely dead either:

from: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lapto...aphics-coming-soon-from-Eurocom.402301.0.html

3. Mastersbest

Mastersbest Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Good day everyone! I write for those who are the owner of this miracle 8940g, and in vain dreaming to replace it with a more recent and modern laptop. After some testing, managed to squeeze the following out of this old man: Intel I7-920ХМ (accelerates very well frequency 3200 nepredel while in dispersed condition knocks in tests 2630QM easy), RAM 16Gb DDR3 1600 (need to pick up, I have a brand patriot earned), Nvidia GTX660M 2Gb (you can continue to experiment as 660m is not the limit), also this laptop was installed 120gb ssd for Windows 10 and tail 1000gb in the second free slot. In General, Windows 10 loads in 5-8 seconds.

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  4. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice config! Max spec mxm card that can be put in is a 980m, with great lapping and liquid metal I see only 70-75c max on the core. I have limited the tdp to 80w and have the core undervolted whilst overclocked...

Bare in mind this mxm slot can handle 3x it’s rated power, very over engineered for its time. I’ve seen the 980m pull 150w in this mxm slot casually without my mods done!!! You just need a higher wattage charger to power the beast.

Fire Tiger and Mastersbest like this.
  5. mpowCactus

mpowCactus Newbie

Reputations:
    Nice to see another post here. I'm sure there is still many people with 8940g's. I have a 8935g, with socket P, so limited to Core 2 line, motherboard is also limited to 8GB RAM and modding a MXM-B card to fit in the MXM-A slot is not worth the risk for me, and will overheat anyway.

6. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    Remove the intel ME firmware chip and the overheating issue is gone :D

7. mpowCactus

mpowCactus Newbie

Reputations:
    Redesign the heatsink and I'll believe you :D

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  8. Mastersbest

Reputations:
    And why do I need to put a 980m card, the processor will not pull it out anyway...?

9. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    It can just about, with a 940xm. Only game that slightly bottlenecks the cpu is far cry 4 and battlefield 5 (the worst optimised of the bunch). With any lower cpu the bottleneck becomes evident...

What really surprised me is that the motherboard can handle all of this, just shows you how well the motherboard was engineered to be. It looks like they planned for an mxm-b slot but at the last minute changed their mind.

10. Mastersbest

Reputations:
    I'm way under the laptop with a new modified BIOS, tons of features opened up to the laptop after the firmware, by the way I installed the card to test gtx 880M from Alienware 18, but the laptop after some time off the felts of the power supply is not enough or, more likely, the temperature of the rolls, with gtx 660m works great and the temperature in idle 39-41 the graphics card. In General, this old piece of iron is squeezed out very well, given that the matrix is still accelerated to 120 Hz, it looks quite playable even in new products.