Acer Aspire 8940g, trying to upgrade graphic card.

Discussion in 'Acer' started by FrEaZeR, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Punk_Oll

Punk_Oll Newbie

Reputations:
    Well after some research i found that the card does not play nice with LVDS and likes eDP so I tried flashing the vBios to a firepro m5100 as after reading on dell forums found that its basically the same card, however after i flashed it the system will not boot at all I have tried to blind flash it but no dice.....So back to the m4000 until i can land on a m6700/6800 dell which should be able to see it I did backup the original vbios

2. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What did you flash the Bios too? Crossflashing BIOS between different GPUs is a BIG NO NO, it will brick the card

3. Punk_Oll

Punk_Oll Newbie

Reputations:
    It was another dell vbios m5100
    I have been lurking about and it's looking like im going to have to hot swap it from a breadboard booted dos USB atiflash back original vbios
    And start over
    I think I shall leave it and pick up another machine with mxm slot of see about borrowing a pcie to mxm riser from someone

4. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wouldn't stay on this machine if you don't have too, too old. MXM to PCIE risers are very rare, and expensive, so its unlikely you find one that someone will lend you for such a cheap GPU

5. Punk_Oll

Punk_Oll Newbie

Reputations:
    Well the 8935g is back on ebay and my new 'Dell m6700' arrived this morning, so I'm going to wait until the wife goes out and take the k3000m out and try the Amd card.
    I know that the heatsink might not fit well but I want to see if I can get it back (working), keep it and get rid of the nvidia I am team red really.