Acer Aspire 8940g, trying to upgrade graphic card.

Discussion in 'Acer' started by FrEaZeR, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Punk_Oll

Punk_Oll Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well after some research i found that the card does not play nice with LVDS and likes eDP so I tried flashing the vBios to a firepro m5100 as after reading on dell forums found that its basically the same card, however after i flashed it the system will not boot at all I have tried to blind flash it but no dice.....So back to the m4000 until i can land on a m6700/6800 dell which should be able to see it I did backup the original vbios

2. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What did you flash the Bios too? Crossflashing BIOS between different GPUs is a BIG NO NO, it will brick the card

3. Punk_Oll

Reputations:
    It was another dell vbios m5100
    I have been lurking about and it's looking like im going to have to hot swap it from a breadboard booted dos USB atiflash back original vbios
    And start over
    I think I shall leave it and pick up another machine with mxm slot of see about borrowing a pcie to mxm riser from someone

4. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I wouldn't stay on this machine if you don't have too, too old. MXM to PCIE risers are very rare, and expensive, so its unlikely you find one that someone will lend you for such a cheap GPU

5. Punk_Oll

Reputations:
    Well the 8935g is back on ebay and my new 'Dell m6700' arrived this morning, so I'm going to wait until the wife goes out and take the k3000m out and try the Amd card.
    I know that the heatsink might not fit well but I want to see if I can get it back (working), keep it and get rid of the nvidia I am team red really.

6. Alessandro Manunza

Alessandro Manunza Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi gents

I am happy to find a recent thread about the Aspire 8940g. !!!:)

I got same pc, I know it is quite hold, but I’m still happy with it, so I wanna keep using.
    However, as you probably cope with, I decided for some revamping/upgrade.:D

Contextually I went for a GPU upgrade, and since I wish to have the less work as possible to do [:eek:], I decided for the ATI FirePro M4000 which sounds to be suitable for a Plug-n-Play installation, but only if it is directly out of a Dell (that is the GPU with a vBIOS Dell).

Unfortunately I got an ATI FirePro M4000 out of a HP (that is with a vBIOS HP), and it doesn’t work, as expected :mad:[!!!]

So my intention was to integrate the Dell vBIOS (downloaded here by OEM site) into the motherboard’s BIOS of the Aspire 8940g... :cool: !! But I couldn’t figure out how to do, even if it sounds possible to do (found here in this forum!)… I found BIOS’s MODding not so much supported as a Tutorial/guide point of view (PhoenixTool, OpROM, etc)

While I was searching for a way for integrating the vBIOS into the BIOS, I came across a BIOS Modded for our Aspire 8940g, which enables for a lot of new features (including virtualization and improving performances through overclocking etc.). Find post here; this is a quite hold thread, but should still work...

Now I have few questions (if you are still with the Aspire 8940g)

1) Which GPU are you using? Is the ATI FirePro M4000 from a Dell? How is working (P-n-P, etc?) Any news about the Dell m6700 ?

2) Which BIOS are you currently running? Did you decide to shift to a MODded BIOS and did you already tested some performance improving and/or virtualization?

3) Anyone managed to integrate vBIOS in BIOS for this laptop? This opens to a lot of more compatibility GPU for the 8940g.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Alex

7. filip_pine

filip_pine Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1 - Take a look at my Video here :

2 - I run the ultimate BIOS version for this machine, no modding
    3 - I didn't try this...

Cheers

8. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I will be putting a firepro m6100 in my machine. If it works a thread will be on the way.

It should work but the tdp is slightly high (75w) compared to the max 50w rating of the mxm slot. I'll need a better charger then.

I'm glad back in 2010 mxm could literally utlize 2x more power with a higher watt charger, the circuits could handle it too. Just look at those clevos that can pull 280w from an mxm slot!

Edit: Doesn't matter lol, same tdp as my plug and play dell quadro 3000m!