Acer Aspire 8930G Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Acer' started by hoangtruong33, Dec 31, 2008.

1. StardustCrusader

StardustCrusader Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Try lowering the RAM to 4GB and check if it works.

2. Col5339

Col5339 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi There. I have the ATI hd4650 card too and whilst it works perfectly in my Acer 8730. When i put it in my Acer 8930. It would come on then instantly shutdown. May i ask if you have a special bios version for 8930 or any other info that might help me. the 8930 works with nvidia 9600M GT. The current card installed. Thank you in advance for any advice. Best Regards, Colin

3. StardustCrusader

StardustCrusader Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not any I wouldn't know of. One thing I know is mine came from an previously dead 6930G (bad mobo) that eventually got restored with an 9600M GS. That card works on most machines I've tried - 5720G, 5920G, 6920G, 6930G (obviously), and my 8930G which now runs a DDR3 based 9600M GT, but other than that I don't know any differences that there would be BIOS wise.

What I can highly suggest is taping the main chip in such way that you only have the GPU die exposed, as well as taping the backside so it doesn't short out, leaving only the holes for the heatsink mounting. The reason your 8930G might shut down that fast is that the card is probably shorting out against the heatsink mounts that are used on the 6920/6935/8920/8930 machines. Basically insulate most of the card's backside and most of the GPU's die surroundings on the top side.

Col5339 likes this.
  4. Col5339

Col5339 Newbie

Reputations:
    • Hi, Thanks for the reply and some interesting hints re the ati card. Just out of interest. it wouldn't be due to there being 2 versions of the motherboard. the 001 and the 004, The 004 , which i believe, is the only one that will support quad core cpu's. I will try your suggestion re taping die surroundings etc and let you know. But sounds a positive suggestion even before i try it. Best Regards, Colin