Acer Aspire 8930G Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Acer' started by hoangtruong33, Dec 31, 2008.

1. mig990

mig990 Newbie

Reputations:
    since have so many "8930G" differents specs and some can handle and anothers not, i don't undersand this anymore.
    anyway i use this bios modded: Acer_Aspire_8930G_VT_Slic21_7Menu_EIST

and work fine, but i need to try "Q" processors to be sure because of the compatibility xD

2. keithdib

keithdib Newbie

Reputations:

I have Q9000 and Q9100 chips and it does not boot with either installed, I know these are good chips

3. mig990

mig990 Newbie

Reputations:
    Like i say... on some 8930G boot's and work fine... and another's not lol

but this is a ****ing beast laptop, i'm in love with him and past almost 9 years and i can still play my recent game with him.

4. keithdib

keithdib Newbie

Reputations:

Yeah, I had mine from new when they first on sale, been through 2 batteries, multiple versions of windows and it was until the last month fine, now it needs a litttle repair

5. paulpur

paulpur Newbie

Reputations:
    Whether your 8930g can take a quad core is down to motherboard revisions. MB.ASZ0B.004 can take a quad core but MB.ASZ0B.001 cannot. This is posted earlier in this huuuuge thread but this saves you looking through the whole thing hehe :)
    The motherboard number should be printed on the board just next to the CPU slot I believe.

6. keithdib

keithdib Newbie

Reputations:

Yes, I've just got schematic for both boards, seems the 004 has a different chipset, it also allows 8GB ram not 6GB

I have now repaired my random shutdown issue, I was right it was the decoupling capacitors on the CPU, runs much cooler now and I have also swapped to a T7500 CPU

7. mig990

mig990 Newbie

Reputations:

that's right!

Mine is MB.ASZ0B.001 and work's with intel x9100 with overclock (but don't boot with 8GB Ram)
    in the future i will test with intel Q9300 if works...

like i see, all motherboards (MB.ASZ0B.001, MB.ASZ0B.002, MB.ASZ0B.004, etc...) are the same, only thing they change is chipset and capacitors and maybe graphic card too they can handle :D

8. GunZcon

GunZcon Newbie

Reputations:
    I was wondering if you guys would have an answer for a problem that I recently encountered. I have recently bought a Nvidia GTX 1050 ti along with a EXP GDC Express Card External GPU base and a corsair CX650M 650 watt power supply (to power the external 1050 ti card) to use with my Acer Aspire 8930g. Unfortunately in order to fully utilize an external GPU with this laptop it requires a UEFI Bios with a Legacy mode toggle option which is not available in the stock insydeh2o bios 1.20 and 1.21 vt mod versions that was provided here.

A Bios mod that enables these modes would be a life saver for me. I was hoping if there was a modded bios that enabled the Boot mode feature for the 8930g?

Thanks.

9. DGlasspool

DGlasspool Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I have had this laptop since forever and I'm now looking into upgrading it for the first time ever (besides the SanDisk 250GB SSD I bought for the spare slot). I'm not ready to give up on it yet!

Does anybody have any advice for a complete newbie on what I need to know before I start digging through this post to self teach myself how to do it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

10. squee666

squee666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I sold mine a few years back . I can tell you that the motherboards are definitely different. Only the 004 revision came with quad cores which is why it supports it. Chipset changes are a big thing.
    And yes most of these models only support 6GB ram tops.
    I had a x9100 CPU and 6GB ram back when i owned it.

Sure the 9600GS/GT card and 9700GT card you different heatsinks
    the best card you can get if you have a 9600 heatsink is the GT240M if im correct.

The best GPU you can get if you have a 9700GT heatsink is the Quadro 3700M(needs to be a HP model) which is the equivalent to a GTX 280M it can also be reflashed to a 280

https://www.ebay.com/itm/QTY-1x-Nvi...345229?hash=item25f0c6b8cd:g:7YEAAOSwWSZarxPi
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/ACER-60-AP...32V0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357079892&sr=8-1

The more powerful Quadro require a 120W power supply. also heres abetter bios for it http://forum.notebookreview.com/attachments/v2fx3700mv10-zip.107139/

When i ran a x9100 and 9700GT it could OC the cpu to 3.5 stable on a 90W supply. It required undervolting of the battery would drain under load until i got the 120w

If you have the 900P screen model and want a 1080p display it also requires a dual lamp inverter.

But yes the x9100 CPU is recommended or if you MB says 0004 on it you can get quad cores

Hmm sold it 5 years ago