Acer Aspire 8930G Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Acer' started by hoangtruong33, Dec 31, 2008.

1. agkaios

agkaios Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for your reply I will give it a try..

2. agkaios

agkaios Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello again I just increased ram to 6gb and everything works just fine!!

speedfan_report;
    (Scanning SMBus at $7000...
    Decoding DIMM #0
    Memory type is DDR3
    DIMM type is SO-DIMM
    Size is 2048 MBytes
    Speed is DDR3-1067
    Supported DRAM voltages are 1.50 V
    Data ECC is not supported
    Manufactured on week 40 of 2008
    Module Manufacturer is Samsung
    DRAM Manufacturer is Samsung
    Part number is M471B5673DZ1-CF8
    Serial number is 475A81F6
    Timings : 533 MHz 8.0-7-7-20
    Decoding DIMM #2
    Memory type is DDR3
    DIMM type is SO-DIMM
    Size is 4096 MBytes
    Speed is DDR3-1067
    Supported DRAM voltages are 1.50 V
    Data ECC is not supported
    Module Manufacturer is G Skill Intl
    DRAM Manufacturer is G Skill Intl
    Part number is F3-8500CL7-4GBSQ
    Timings : 533 MHz 8.0-7-7-20
    )

3. ares6

ares6 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi I have good news and updated the QX9300 CPU and graphics to 240mgt nvidia and works well only limited to 6GB of ram some modification of bios to increase to 8GB greetings

Enviado desde mi HTC One mediante Tapatalk

Starlight5 likes this.
  4. agkaios

agkaios Newbie

Reputations:
    @ares6 Good to hear that updated without any problem.
    Can you post cpu and gpu temperature readings?

What kind of mods does the bios need to read 8gb ram?

5. ares6

ares6 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    public readings ok morning but I have only 6 gb ram

6. ares6

ares6 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    hi guys as promised there are the pictures of Acer 8930G with the QX9300 CPU and graphics Blast 240mgt and only 6GB of RAM if you want more you just have to say a greeting
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. johnbrown105

johnbrown105 Newbie

Reputations:
    I am unable to install Windows 10. It spends a lot of time doing checks and copying files, but when it reboots, it hangs and when you power it off and on again it says:
    "We couldn't install Windows 10
    0xC1900101-0x20017
    The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation."

I tried this on 2015-12-25.

8. WaveIO

WaveIO Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello all,
    after some silence three days ago I was crushed by two parts that simply blew away from the MB of my Acer Aspre 8930. It tuned out those parts were part of a local but nasty 5Vdc switching PSU. I still can sens the unpleasant smell under the plastic covers :) Anyway, after I saw that the single PC I have has simply died I was FORCED to resume my habit of upgrade my laptop. So, I took the Quad core MB i bought back in 2015 and put QX9300 processor on it and hit the power button (after it was assembled back). So, til now I can back up Ares6' changes and say it will work with a proper MB (the one for quads) and QX9300 processor.
    The nasty thing on my story is tied to the fact that thermal "metal liquid" I used back in 2015 has simply dried out and crack => leaving the chips become hotter than expected, especially the GPU, where I saw some shadows on the surface (burned?). Anyway, it seems to be okay now (since I can see what I'm writing to you :).
    For now, I have the MoBo and processor, but I also own a GTX260M which.. is not working... obviously. it would be nice knowing a guy who's able to change the BIOS in our laptops and "unlock" some features for it, especially when it comes to GPU and 8GB RAM.

Next I'll try to change the stock coolers with this one because it seems to me more "professional":
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381529027877?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I have NO ideas if it will fit but I'll find out soon!
    Next I want to change the LCD with Samsung type - LED backlight (if the one I received from HK is the right type)

9. stavros95

stavros95 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I tried upgrading the bios and now I'm stuck with a possibly ruined 8930, and I need your help. Here is a description of my problem:
    1. Tried upgrading BIOS, update program reboots laptop.
    2. Laptop screen goes black, fans and lights still on.
    3. I let it for some time, after which I cut power(don't remember if I held the power button or turned off the wall plug)
    4. After re-plugging it on the wall, the laptop would receive power as indicated by the narrow led above the power button, but wouldn't respond to power button presses.
    5. Disassembled laptop, removed and re-inserted CMOS battery.
    6. Now laptop turns on on its own as soon as it gets plugged in, fan runs at full speed, and optical drive spins like it does when booting normally. Screen remains black, not even backlight.

I tried making a crisis USB and CD, but I'm not sure how to make it as some places say to just copy the BIOS file on the disk, others use a program to make a disk, and the file naming is unclear. Plus, the laptop doesnt respond to Fn+Esc or Win+B, and no leds flash. When using a CD(with just the bios file in, no special crisis disk), the laptop reads a bit from the drive, then remains at the black screen.

Is there anything I can do, or did I just make a paperweight out of my laptop?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  10. PetranEVO

PetranEVO Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello guyz,quick question.

I am going to receive a really cheap laptop 8930G ,with no VGA ,and broken "bios" .
    I know how to change bios and re-flash a new bios with SOIC8/SOP8 .

But what is the best , suitable upgrade ; I mean should i buy a 9700M Nvidia ,or should i go for as i read about 240M ;