Acer aspire 7720 in 2020 thread!

Discussion in 'Acer' started by kojack, May 9, 2020.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So, I recently fired up my old chunk of laptop. Installed the latest version of 10 on it and everything is working great. I also recently found my old mini dv camera. Again, firing it up I noticed I could only transfer videos from it to a computer using firewire.

Low and behold, the good Ole 7720 has firewire. I did my first transfer yesterday and it worked perfectly. I have to get my workflow running a bit better, but it works and is dandy. I am wondering about resolve and upscaling the videos to hd. I have to check it out. I think that would overwhelm my acer, and I'm going to use my dell for upscaling. I may try it on the acer just to see though.

Now I have to add the drives to it for storage.

2. Tarkonte

Tarkonte Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Last november my 7720G died. Better, my 7720G VGA card died after years of orrible tortures (hot & cold, hotter and cold, and so on).got
    I decided to not fix it and buy a new laptop (got a used Fujitsu Lifebook E754 in perfect conditions but with HD ready screen and no cam, no good in these days...).
    Last month, after several sessions of conf calls without cam or forced to use phone, I checked for a spare VGA card in Aliexpress and found a 9600M for few bucks.
    I got it, installed et voilà, system up & running.
    I still prefer to use this (I could use another 14", newer Fujitsu E746 with FHD display and a more powerful i7 cpu) because of the display quality and of the very good responsiveness of the keyboard.
    But the system is a quite bit old and performance are suffering for low RAM and CPU.
    The first one will not be upgraded, but I'm looking for a nice, cheap substitute of the present T8100.
    I also will swap the wifi network card with a new one with integrated BT, given that built-in BT module it's not working neither can be activated (dunno why???).

Pay attention to SATA2 interface. It will limit in a negative way the performance of a SSD drive, so don't waste money in very fast devices. Normal one will be fast enough...

3. Tarkonte

Tarkonte Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi!
    Just an information about PCI-E slots.
    The above is a picture of 7720G mainboard on the cpu socket side.
    There are two slots, indicated by arrows, the should be two mini pci-e slots.
    The red arrow hilights the WiFi card, the yellow one a free slot that, according to the service manual, should accomodate a minicard tv-tuner.
    [​IMG]
    Now the question is: could be the JP19 slot (that with yellow arrow), at the moment empty, used for other different modules such as a faster flash disk or a 3G/4G card?
    Thank you all in advance.

4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I am adding the ssd in sata2 for energy savings more than anything.