Acer Aspire 7 A717 vs. Asus Vivobook Pro 17

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by ElectrifyingOnyx, Jan 12, 2019.

1. ElectrifyingOnyx

ElectrifyingOnyx Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone!
    I'm currently looking for a new Notebook for school/creative purposes, because my current one doesn't really fit my needs anymore.

Anyway, I already posted a thread on here, and the professional help I got helped me a lot, now I'm left with two finalists:

The Acer Asprie 7 A717-71G and the slightly less powerful but higher quality ASUS Vivobook Pro 17.

Deal for Aspire
    Deal for Vivobook

Configurations:
    Acer Aspire: Intel i5 8300H, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB VRAM, 256GB SSD
    Asus Vivobook: Intel i5 8250U, NVIDIA MX150 2GB VRAM, 1TB HDD + 256GB SSD

Both Notebooks are the exact same price.

Now, what I'm planning to do on whatever Notebook I buy is some casual gaming from time to time, but mainly digital art.

Both Processor and Graphic Card should be good enough to be able to play games like Minecraft (for good measure) and League of Legends on 50-60fps, maybe also some Overwatch in the future, but with medium graphics if necessary.

From what I've gathered so far, both Notebooks have an good sRGB coverage. The Acer Aspire having 85-86% and the Vivobook having 90-100% coverage. Both of them should have IPS-Technology.
    The contrast also seems to be fairly important, but I don't know about that.

In summary... I don't know which notebook I should choose. I know that the Acer Aspire has a MUCH higher performance, for both CPU and GPU, but I don't know if the Vivobook would be sufficent as well.
    Also, the Vivobook seems to be of much higher quality with the case and durability and generally looks better. Its storage is also bigger, but I've been using my laptop for 5-6 years now, and I still have 310GB out of 445GB free. So that might not be so important. It's also a lot lighter than the Aspire, so it might be easier to take it to school with me. Other than that it would be optimal if the laptop would last about 5 years or longer.

Quick Edit: I just remembered, the Acer Aspire has a cover where you can easily access the RAM and storage, so you can upgrade it without any problems, which I might do after some time.

For more information about my needs, here's the original thread:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...notebook-for-school-creative-purposes.826828/

Anyway, what I would like to know now, which Notebook would be better for my purposes? Or is there any other laptop you would recommend?
    Also, If there's anything else you'd like to know, feel free to ask me!

I look forward to reading all your answers!

Extra:
    (For the Aspire 7, there's also this deal with slightly lower specs. Are those good enough for my purposes as well or are there any issues I'm overlooking? Because, I'd save my 100€ and buy this one instead in that case. Thanks in advance for your help!)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  2. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi,

I think this is a comparison between the two: Acer Aspire 7 A717-72G vs Asus VivoBook Pro 17 N705UN
    Both laptops use the same display as far as I can tell, so there is no advantage there.
    The Acer I know for sure it has decent cooling by comparison with other similar laptops.
    The Vivobook is the bottom line of laptops from Asus is pretty low quality, and it is known for its quality control issues.

Between the two, I would go with the Acer. Acer makes some of the best budget laptops on the market by comparison with other brands.

3. ElectrifyingOnyx

ElectrifyingOnyx Newbie

Reputations:
    Oh, thanks so much for your help, knowing that really helps a lot!
    What do you say about the cheaper Aspire though? (A717-71G) Do you tuint it would be better to go with something cheaper, or could it be risky? In my head, I think that getting the more expensive one, might be smarter since it has a much better performance, and should fit my needs for quite a long time, right? And even if it gets slower over time, it shouldn't be as noticable as it would be with the A717-71G, if I'm not mistaken?

4. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi,

The price difference reflects very well the performance difference. The 7300HQ is significantly slower than the 8300H, and the 71G comes just with one 128GB SSD, and you will need to buy a secondary HDD. I would say the one with the 8300H is a better deal.
    Acer Aspire 7 A717-72G vs Acer Aspire 7 A717-71G