1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Acer Aspire 5942G Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Acer' started by PaAra, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Timberley

Timberley Newbie

Reputations:
    This is a bit of a case of thread necro, but I'm intrigued/looking for advice.

I'm looking to upgrade a couple of things on my 5942G, particularly the RAM (have default 4GB) and HDD (to an SSD). Does anyone have advice/tips as to what to get for it?

I gather that the default RAM clock speed is 1066MHz. Is this the maximum speed I can use or can I push it to 1600MHz?

What SSDs would the good folk on this board recommend? I'm looking for something of comparable size (at least). Main reason I want to do the upgrade is that I'm trying to improve access times for games and such.

Tim

2. g47

g47 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Up!
    I am interested too!

3. ad1210

ad1210 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

My HDD recently died big time, neccisitating a replacement. I Went with a 256 GB crucial M4. Can say that its quite honestly excellent. Very quiet, ample space and quick. Windows 7 boots in about 5-10 second flat.
    At the same time, I bumped the memory up to 8 gb DDR3. Whilst 4gb was plenty for what I was doing, I did notice that there was a pretty small margin when running some apps. As DDR3 is pretty cheap at the moment, I thought it a wise investment for the future.

Upgraded, its still an excellent unit. Still wish I could find a way to keep the temps down though. Its really the only thing letting it down- Can't understand why ACER didnt put more intake vents on the underside.

4. g47

g47 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You dont have any vents on the underside, is that right?
    Mine has only on the front and back side.

5. Timberley

Timberley Newbie

Reputations:
    Okay, I might sound like a complete fool for posting this, but what exact RAM did you use? I'm still looking to upgrade the RAM, but I'm worried about buying the wrong stuff, or buying a set that's got a lower clock speed than the laptop can take. I know by default the RAM's 1066MHz, but can I take up to 1300MHz?

Tim

6. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    1333MHz will work at full speed with Core i7 720QM and at 1066MHz with all Core i3/i5 and two core i7s (like i.e. Core i7 620M)

7. Timberley

Timberley Newbie

Reputations:
    Ah right cool. So for my i7-740QM I can use the 1333MHz stuff. Anything in particular I should go for (manufacturer, etc)?

Thanks,

Tim

8. downloads

Reputations:
    Yes- with 740QM it will work @ 1333MHz.
    Any respectable manufacturer will do OK- whichever of the good ones is better priced at the moment.

9. Timberley

Timberley Newbie

Reputations:
    Wonderful, thanks for that. Just wanted to check before I committed to buying something only to discover that it was useless.

Many thanks again,

Tim

10. Timberley

Timberley Newbie

Reputations:
    Hmmm... So I updated my RAM to 8GB (2x 4GB) of Corsair 1333MHz DDR3 but my 5942G-744 is still telling my I only have 4GB of RAM installed. I entered set up (F2) as soon as it booted, but found no way to change this in the BIOS. Is there anything I'm missing, or am I actually limited to 4GB, just with a higher speed?

Tim

11. downloads

Reputations:
    Does BIOS also list 4GB or only Windows?

12. Timberley

Timberley Newbie

Reputations:
    BIOS lists 4GB, and I can't get into anything on the BIOS to check the clock on it or anything else.

Tim

13. downloads

Reputations:
    Verify that both modules work by switching slots or testing both modules separately.
    If you still have your original sticks test one 4GB and one 2GB to see it 6GB will be recognized properly.

Last but not least- make sure your BIOS is up to date- update if necessary.

14. Timberley

Timberley Newbie

Reputations:
    As it transpires, it wasn't anything so complicated. When I had installed the RAM, I hadn't put the top module in as completely as I had thought, so it didn't register! Ahem... Ah well, that's what you get for being overly-delicate with this stuff. I redid it and now both Windows and the BIOS indicate 8GB of RAM.

Tim

15. SickSilvo

SickSilvo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, just wondering did any of you try to upgrade CPU on your 5942?
    If you did or have any of these CPU-s, please share your experience with us/me

My came with i430M, and if it's possible i would like to upgrade to i7-820QM or i7-720QM processor as there are stock ones 5942 that come with those cpu-s, which are completely identical in every other aspect of look and futures.

Biggest problem I feel is the overheating, even with i430M it gets pretty hot when in heavy use e.g. gaming (or that might be gpus fault)
    Front side openings are just not enough to deal with the temps it can produce, so i'm looking into ways to deal with that right now.

When it was new highest GPU temp was 64C now after almost 2 years of use it's around 80 C. First time I disassemble it ,i was really surprised of how little dust was in it :) Time for new thermal paste..

16. nissangtr786

nissangtr786 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do not downgrade your i5 430m to a i7 720qm or 820qm. Likely hood is you won't notice the difference in performance. I don't even think it is possible as the i5 430m comes with a gpu inbuilt to it while the i7 doesn't. Anyway ythose i are 1.6ghz quad and require 45w tdp without any graphics vs the 35w that includes hd intel graphics.

You won't notice any real world performance and 10-20% maxed out both cores for 20w more power consumption is not worth it.

17. imprezapeej

imprezapeej Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all! Firstly allow me to introduce myself...I'm Pete and i am the proud owner of my second ACER ASPIRE 5942g Laptop...!! i am partial to the look of the acer and as this is my second i am even more impressed with the i7 processor and the backlit keyboard and fingerprint scanner.....blah.....bl;ah.....blah! What i am not impressed with AGAIN (it was the same on the first acer i owned! :-( ) is the fact that it has a nice BLUETOOTH button on the left hand pane but in fact according to the machine DOES NOT have bluetooth!!!!! Please can anyone advise as to if i can put this in myself....?? and if so is it easy and where can i get it from. Thanks in advance, and this is a great website. Thank you so much!:D

18. downloads

Reputations:
    Google "aspire 5942 service guide" for a service manual with detailed instructions and photos.
    Service guide itself can't be shared here on the forum.

19. SickSilvo

SickSilvo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you @downloads :) I will listen to your advice.

On another note, there is a new Intel Turbo Boost TM 2.6 ver. driver out on Intel's site for our notebooks

Cheers

20. downloads

Reputations:
    Since I posted that we've changed the rule concerning posting service manual so here you go.
    It's on the house ;)