1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Acer Aspire 5930(G) owner thread

Discussion in 'Acer' started by johan_80, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Starlight5

Starlight5 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    airetikos, not sure if this slowpoke answer will be of any use, but...
    First check your PSU's output.
    Then, I would have definately cleared all CMOS settings using cmospwd. To be honest, you should have done it right before changing CPU.
    As you may notice, I have the same hdd as yours. That thing, unlike most other hdds, has working temp up to 55C according to its datasheet. If you play any demanding games it is wise idea to put it into optibay or some good external case, since it might overheat otherwise.
    It also won't harm to undervolt your CPU.

Good luck and happy New Year to everyone!

2. airetikos

airetikos Newbie

Reputations:
    Happy New Year!

Well, someone 's still alive! :D

I bought a new PSU and replaced the HDD with an SSD OCZ Agility 3.
    I ll try both the program and the undervolting thingy later today.
    Thanks a lot for your answer, lets hope its gonna help. :)

3. airetikos

airetikos Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello once again...

Couldnt use that CLEAR CMOS thing, but the "undervolting" helped a lot.
    Is there any way to undervolt the cpu from bios or another permanent way?

Τhanks in advance and for your previous post.

4. Starlight5

Reputations:
    There's no such way for this motherboard. However, you may configure RMClock or whatever you use for undervolting to run automatically on startup. You will most likely need to read this guide.

5. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hello everyone.
    Just wanted to jump start this thread again.

Wow... last reply was in January 2014?
    Almost a year ago.

Anyway... I just wanted to report I upgraded my GPU to GT 240M MXM II.
    Works good.
    :)
    GPU-Z 240M.gif

I had some issues with driver installation (due to Hardware ID being different compared to the one in the newest official drivers), but that was remedied by using DOX modified drivers (306).

Apart from that, I have an issue with my heatsink because I wasn't able to screw the 4 screws which would have to go into the bracket below the GPU (keeps moving apparently, and its possible the screws got a bit worn out over the years) which is why I think the temps have a tendency of rising progressively when playing 'Path of Exile'.

I ordered a new heatsink for my Acer (because it was cheap and think it could use a replacement anyway - the laptop IS 6 years old after all)... but I think I can use a new GPU bracket as well (the one that has 4 holes for the screws that are part of the heatsink) - which is difficult to find on ebay.

Anyway...the laptop is now maxed out as much as possible and should work for a while longer.
    I think I will wait until May or June next year (2015) to get a new laptop... after which I will give this one to my nephew most likely).

Once I get the new heatsink, I'll give the Dragon Age Origins a go and maybe do some benches for you guys.
    This GPU should be about 50% more powerful than my 9600m GT - at any rate, ANY game I played to this point should work better.

Starlight5 likes this.
  6. Starlight5

Reputations:
    Nice to see your build, especially the CPU - now that's some undervolting you got there! I slowly downgrade my 5930G and gave up on adding mSATA slot to it, will be getting a new notebook as well. Still, I'd like to keep good' ol' 5930G running (and will, if noone grabs the GPU & motherboard or if I replace it with 5730/5930 non-G).

7. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yup... the T9600 wasn't working for me because it was producing large temperatures even while undervolted during gaming (a byproduct of it being a C0 revision as opposed to E0 which was nowhere to be found at the time and exceedingly expensive).

At least with P9600, I was able to lower the undervolt as low as ThrottleStop allowed me to go (there's a chance I could actually go lower, but Throttlestop seems to be limited to 0.925V).
    Anyway, current temperatures on the CPU do not seem to exceed 60 degrees C, and GPU seems to be holding at 70 degrees C (both at load of course).
    Considering that the cooling in this laptop is relatively poor, the temps seem great - plus of course, one cannot deny the premise that this is a 6 year old mid-range (for its time) laptop.

Note about the GPU: I had to lower the RAM frequency from 790 MhZ to 765MhZ... otherwise, I would experience random black screen with a system freeze either when gaming or when just doing standard work in Windows.

I noticed that some other people had a similar issue and one person tracked it down to a faulty VRAM apparently... so I tried lowering the speed of VRAM by 3% and for now it seems to be working (no unexpected black screen and system freeze as of yet on these frequencies).
    In reality, I'm not really losing anything from performance point of view (measly 3% on VRAM which shouldn't be noticeable), and I'm gaining on stability... so its a win-win.
    Otherwise, it might be possible that the heatsink isn't touching properly on the GPU, though I doubt this is the case (although it wouldn't surprise me).

I did replace the heatsink btw, but I would also like to get a new metal X bracket and any additional component for it that helps keep the bracket on the bottom of the gpu and forces the screws of the gpu portion of the heatsink to press down.
    I might have misplaced a small part of the X bracket before... but I had 0 success in finding the part in question on ebay (let alone the x bracket itself).

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    Starlight5 likes this.
  8. Starlight5

Reputations:
    Deks, with T4500 I traded my T9600 for (and $35 on top of that), it is running extremely cool, and I am sure I won't have any more problems using it in summer. Nice to see that such tiny RAM frequency decrease resulted in resolving your videocard issues. I've had to remove VGA memory thermal pads in order to achieve proper heatsink contact with GT240M chip. Salvaged x-bracket from 9600M GT the notebook came originally with, didn't even bother to glue it or whatever - just avoid applying excessive force when assembling / disassembling.

9. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So... what exactly did you do to achieve proper heatsink contact with GT240M chip?
    Which VGA thermal pads did you remove exactly?
    All of them or just some?
    Also... isn't that a bit counterproductive? Because, what exactly is cooling your VRAM now?

It would seem I'm still experiencing black screen and system freeze occasionally despite lowering VRAM frequency.
    I reduced the VRAM frequency now to 711 MhZ (10% reduction from the original).

I'm thinking the problem could be in the heatsink not touching down on the chip... or, the VRAM not being properly cooled.
    Any suggestions?
    What about your GT 240M?
    Is it giving you similar trouble under load or are you running it at it's maxed out VRAM frequency of 790 MhZ?

10. Starlight5

Reputations:
    Deks, I removed thermal pads from all vga board's memory modules. They don't need cooling, and even if they did, heat transfer from much hotter CPU&GPU would only make things worse. My speculation - the problem is that your chip does not have proper contact with heatsink because of thick memory thermal pads, resulting in overheat and freeze under load. My GT240M never gives me any trouble other than having to manually modify Nvidia drivers in order to install the latest version. It's running at stock frequencies, memory @ 790MHz. I suggest trying MSI Afterburner's Furmark test. If temp climbs over 90C turn off the test immediately and shut down - it means we localized your problem.

11. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I've been monitoring the temps closely since installing the GPU... and under load, they don't seem to go over 70 degrees C... but I still experience issues with black screen/system freeze.
    But, I can definitely try removing all the GPU VRAM thermal pads and test the thing out.

12. Starlight5

Reputations:
    Deks, does the problem persist when CPU undervolting is deactivated? Did you try undeclocking GPU core?

13. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I did not try underclocking the GPU core - besides, I'd prefer not to reduce the GPU in performance any more than necessary because the point is to have it up and running on stock (though I could live with slightly reduced VRAM).

As for problem persisting if CPU undervolting is deactivated... I tried it on my earlier T9600 and I do not think that ThrottleStop was active at the time (though it could have been) and I got the same problem.
    Still, I can try testing it in Path of Exile by turning off ThrottleStop and maxing out the VRAM frequency... or turning off Throttlestop and increasing the VRAM frequency to 765MhZ.
    I have yet to open up the laptop and remove the thermal pads from VRAM though... I'll probably leave that for tomorrow since I was at work all day today.

Btw... the GPU does seem very stable at lower VRAM frequencies as opposed to stock.

14. Starlight5

Reputations:
    Deks, good luck.

15. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hey Sarlight5.

I just wanted to report in on some changes.
    Per your suggestion, I removed all the thermal pads from the GPU portion of the heatsink, and what I noticed is that the GPU temperatures seem lower compared to before.
    I used 3d studio max a bit (not that it stressed the gpu a lot - though before, it caused the aforementioend freezing), but I removed the VRAM underclock and will be doing more intense stuff with the GPU soon.
    Thus far, preliminary indications seem... encouraging.
    I'll keep you posted.

Starlight5 likes this.
  16. Starlight5

Reputations:
    Deks, glad to read it. Hope your 5930G will become rock-stable 24/7. =) I sold everything of value off my 5930G, and may convert it to 5930 - if someone buys GPU and/or motherboard.

17. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hey Starlight

Another update:
    Looks like the temperatures on the GPU have indeed stabilized, however, I experienced the screen going black and system freeze again... twice... mainly after longer duration of working on the laptop.

This could indicate there are some incompatibilities between 240M and 5930G in general...
    I thought about SSD maybe causing these problems, but I ruled it out since my previous experience with the SSD (before the GPU upgrade) was rock stable during regular operations (it only crashed on few rare occasions if I put the computer to sleep during the night, which wasn't a big deal).

Any ideas on what sort of incompatibilities might be causing this system freeze and black screen?
    Someone else tracked it down to a potentially faulty VRAM which might have been present even in laptops that originally shipped with this GPU.

Well if it is the case, then I'll just keep using it right now and when its time to give it to a member of my family, I'll just put the 9600m GT back inside to ensure stability for them (since they aren't too technically minded about laptops)