Acer Aspire 5930(G) owner thread

Discussion in 'Acer' started by johan_80, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johan_80

johan_80 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all!

I just got my Aspire 5930G here in sweden, and i have to say coming from a DELL laptop, this one is really nice.

It has a 2.0GHZ CPU which maybe is a little slow, but the grfx card (Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT) makes up for that! :)
    3 GB RAM, HDMI/VGA ports, DVD-writer, 15.4" screen with 1280x800.

I just put in another harddrive in it (320gigger instead of 250 that came with it) and with 7200rpm instead of the original 5400 it is really much faster.

I bought the laptop for 1160$ aprox, which is pretty cheap, isnt it? =)

Just tried 3dmarks 2006 and it gets 5567 points which is VERY good for this kind of cheap laptop, "for the win"!

It seems this laptop is pretty rare still, im not sure its new on the market, but can other owners please write here, maybe some tips or so :)
    Wonder if i for instance can put another (faster) CPU in this one to make it faster..

Here are some links for those who are intrested in this one:

WinXP drivers for 5930: http://www.laptops-drivers.com/acer-notebooks/acer-aspire-5930-windows-xp-drivers.html

Review of it: http://www.kaskus.us/showthread.php?p=40347922&posted=1

I think i will try to review it here on notbookreview aswell if anyone is intrested in that :)

2. TehSuigi

TehSuigi Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Johan, congrats on the 5930G! Your 3DMark is making be envious.
    You can certainly upgrade the CPU - look for a P9500, T9400, or T9600.
    Or if you really want to make this machine a balls-first gamer, the X9100 at 3.06 Ghz!

3. Akaly

Akaly Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Don't you break the warranty changing CPU? And if you don't, is it hard to do?

Also, could you post some pics of the machine? :)

4. hazy75

hazy75 Newbie

Reputations:
    How about QX9300???:p

5. TehSuigi

TehSuigi Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Actually, I spoke with Acer Support on the issue - you can upgrade any part of the system and you won't break the warranty! Just as long as you put the original part back before sending it back for service.

6. Mathematics

Mathematics Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    some acers have high temperature.

is this laptop warm (high temperature)?
    a friend said, "acer 5930 laptops are very high temperature for use? because they have 9600gt."

is it true? I'm dreaming for a cold working acer.

7. FuzzyL

FuzzyL Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    did you try to use RMClock utility? It's the great thing! You need just to undervolt your CPU to decrease the temperature of you laptop by 15-25C. It's really works. If you don't beleive me - look the screenshots of S&M utility after 30 min. CPU test link. The screenshots placed at the top of article. The difference is nearly 25 C (CPU VOLTAGE - 1.00 and 1.25V). The configuration of that utility is shown on the screenshots below. It really helps to decrease heating of CPU.

Sorry for my English :)

8. NSLW

NSLW Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This laptop is rather warm. When you put it on the table and don't play rich 3d games all four temperatures (CPU1, CPU2, GPU, HDD) are below 50C. When you put it on your lap you won't stand long because temperature under the GPU is too annoying, around 55C. When you play e.g. Elder Scrolls Oblivion the temperatures can reach 90C beside HDD. The good thing is that the fan don't spin too often and it's quiet.
    I would not recommend to play with voltage of the CPU, because it could be dangerous. If it would cause such decrease in temperature of lappy the manufacture would surely take advantage of it

9. johan_80

johan_80 Newbie

Reputations:
    I am really intrested in getting another CPU for this machine, its basically the only "slow" part since i chanegd the hdd in mine to a 7200rpm one.

Do i need other memory-sticks if I change CPU?

Other than the CPU this machine is REALLY nice, it never gets that hot when i use it, although i did not test it in my lap, will do that sometime later and try..

Tried all sorts of games; Racedriver GRID, Crysis, Dawn of War, Couterstrike: Source, Space Siege, Spore, etc, and all work nicely! Very happy i bought this one :)
    Would easily recommend anyone to buy it!

10. sponka

sponka Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Memory sticks are not related to CPU, they are "independant".
    Be sure to check compatibility before upgrade as in some (pretty rare) cases turned out memory was incompatible with certain computers (happened to my friend with 5920G).

And question: which program does 5930 use for managing network profiles? Owners of 5920 got eframevork 2.5 and it's part is also eNetManagement, which is AFAIK missing in version 3.

Congrats on new machine :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.