Acer Aspire 5740G Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Acer' started by downloads, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Andy53

Andy53 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi to all
    How is everybody doing, after about 10 years ? Still using this laptop ?
    Mine have a lot of issues, bought it in July 2010 and is yet broken, after intensive using it.

Speakers are as good as gone.
    Keys are working for about 50% ( my fault, broke the clip on the Mobo )
    DVD burner is not reliable anymore
    Power connector is broken inside, gave bad connection, so I put the battery in it all the time, and at last the battery was not charging anymore and in the end short-circuit the power electronic on the Mobo I guess.
    Both hinges are broken so I have to put a brick behind the screen to put it upright on the table...:rolleyes:
    Sensitivity of the touchpad became very less

But fortunately is saw one for sale for 70€ in very good shape, less used and with HD5650 and Bluetooth, so I have to switch over my i7-640 cpu, 8MB memory, Usb3 and SSD, and I be ready for the future.:)

Why I bought it again ? Because I used it with multiboot Wxp on it, and first gen. i-core is the last one it will work on.

And at last, still loving this laptop...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    ellalan likes this.
  2. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hey guys.
    I got this laptop from a friend.
    It would be a decent use for short term in comparison to the existing DELL I've been reduced to (from Helios 500 all AMD as a result of failed BIOS upgrade).

Given that the 5740G in my care has fairly basic specs, it DOES have Windows 10 on it... so I was thinking I can easily upgrade the SSD and RAM.
    Now, given the CPU is dual core, that's a bit of a problem.
    Is there any way this laptop would support i7-720qm?
    I know that the qm is 45W TDP cpu, and therefore, the increase in heat generated from extra 10W would probably be relatively large, but my question is would it be 'critically high'?
    More to the point, does the BIOS support the i7-720qm?
    The Bios to my knowledge is the same one it shipped with (1.09v I think)... it hadn't been updated, and given my lackluster BIOS update failure on Helios 500 (which is far more advanced), I don't think I'd like to risk it.

It would be useful to have 4 cores for my college course along with the moderately more powerful GPU for my larger 3d studio Max files and GIMP/Photoshop work, but I need to know if its possible.

According to the chipset specifications, the i7-720QM should be compatible.

Also, do I NEED to disassemble the whole thing to get to the CPU and GPU for repasting and cleaning?

3. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Core i7-720QM is compatible. I'm not sure it you need to update BIOS for it to work properly - I don't think so though.
    The cooling is adequate for this CPU according to users that have done that (it's described somewhere ins this thread)

As for disassembly - you will need to disassemble the laptop but it's not a hard thing to do - see here for some images.

ellalan likes this.
  4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well that's pretty great to know in that case.
    Thank you.
    I also plan on using quality thermal paste like GC Gelid Extreme on the CPU and GPU of course.

It would certainly tie me over to invest a small amount of cash into upgrading that unit and use it until Zen 2 desktop hw replacement unit like Helios 500 used with 2700 and Vega 56 is released.

Plus the 5740G would be a far more capable gaming machine for certain occasions.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  5. Andy53

Reputations:
    @Deks
    I used a i7-740 for a while in it, overheating is no problem, there is a very good cooling system, only downside is that the fan will run frequently.
    I personal would go for a 740 or 820, to go as close to the 2ghz for the basic stuff, (non quad core software) prices
    are not that different these days.
    Don't forget to remove the black foil from the heat sink.
    With quad core your ram speed go from 1066 to 1333mhz and you can use 16GB in it, but not al PC1600 ram will work in it, read back in this trhead or see if you can borrow it, before you buy.
    Also notice that SSD speed is max. 250Mb/s in this laptop.

Good luck with your upgrade and welcome to the club :vbthumbsup:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    downloads likes this.
  6. phoenix222

phoenix222 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    so my acer 5740g now also had this "dead,no power,no leds" defect and i managed to repair the mainboard by desoldering the EC bios chip, programming it with a CH341A programmer, then soldering it back again. first tried to program it with a programming clip and without desoldering, but that somehow did not work.

just want to remind that if anyone still uses this laptop here and gets the same defect its most likely the EC bios chip who lost its programming sooner or later it will hit everyone as its a common issue.

http://hardware-today.com/articles/...c_bios_reasons_no_power_doesn_t_charge_no_led

Andy53 and downloads like this.
  7. Andy53

Reputations:
    Good job on doing this !!
    I will order a programmer and give it a try on my old mobo.

8. mk1freak

mk1freak Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    just felt like coming in and saying i miss this puppy. :( been through many and I still think about this one

9. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Mine is still around as a second backup machine. I start it every week, synchronize documents and e-mails, update everything and I put it back.
    Still works fine and performance is OK - the only think that is not acceptable is screen quality and resolution. It was fine in 2010 but these days it's way too dim.

10. ankit_rana

ankit_rana Newbie

Reputations:
    mine is still kicking... have gone through different phases of use
    Form daily use to linux server to couch potato server to streaming

Only complain in my case is overheat.. has been that way for few years now... Currently running Home Assistant and Motion Eye server....