Acer Aspire 5740G Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Acer' started by downloads, Mar 16, 2010.

1. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @mk1freak Don't you dare do that to me again! ;)

mk1freak likes this.
  2. mimmo345

mimmo345 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    garpex likes this.
  3. goerkem

goerkem Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey unifilek, as you said I got power-offs with i7-840QM on battery.
    I think I can't overcome this on my own and need suggestions.
    What options we have; a new battery?

4. unifilek

unifilek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    With higher power cpus our laptop cannot provide enough current from battery. You can try new one, maybe 9 cell one but I cannot guarantee that this will help. Way I have done is limit power in windows power options running on battery and give full blast while on psu. Mayby some of our colleagues can say more about power delivery on acer motherboard, maybe there is bit of room for tweaks. Cannot really check anything because I don't own this machine anymore.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4X using Tapatalk

goerkem likes this.
  5. mustangless

mustangless Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I can't believe this is still going. I have converted my laptop unto a remote machine. I use it mostly for day trading stuff but it gets used almost all the time.

I have taken the board out of the laptop and was going to make a custom case for it but I got lazy. It is now sitting on an unused desk with a massive copper heatsink on the CPU and southbridge heatsinks from an old desktop on gpu and on the southbridge.

This was my Frankenstein project, which looks horrible but works good.

It idle around 35*c CPU/GPU. Have not stressed it too much as it does what I want it to do.

6. garpex

garpex Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everybody. ;)

I have a 5740G almost new (hold for years by an old relative, basicly not using it).
    Originally it had an i3-330m, but I upgraded to an i5-560M (following this thread informations), and mounted an SSD (Samsung 830 256 GB).
    Now performance are still good for web browsing and home office use, so I'd like to continue using it.

It runs Win 7 64 bit, and bios 1.28, just upgraded to run i5-560M.

I'm very interested in this modded bios to run updated Intel microcode, to fix Spectre and Meltdown.

As far as I understand, my new CPU i5-560M should have the same CPUID (20655), so this bios by mimmo345 should be ok for me.

Could you tell me, please, how to exactly update it?
    Last time I used the package available here: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/ID/content/support-product/1878;-
    https://global-download.acer.com/GD...p3=ASPIRE 5740G&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=AAP_1
    I created a USB key with Rufus, to start the notebook in DOS, and then just launched DOSFLASH.BAT in DOS folder.

What should I exactly do, to use your modded bios?:)
    (I downloaded it from here: https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thr...-in-Acer-Aspire-5740-Bios-Phoenix-1-28?page=6, because the link in this thread is no more available for free - I suppose it's always you).

7. yahyoh

yahyoh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hey guys how you doing and hows your 5740 doing? :D

Today i had the balls to disassemble my trusty laptop to change the thermal paste after almost 9 years of use oh well.

everything went wall beside that i broke the right side 2 usb ports lol FML.

anyways i bought the cooler master mastergel pro bcause its the only good one i found locally
    so here is the test before and after :cool::eek:
    100% before the change it used to get +100 sometimes

[​IMG]

idle before

[​IMG]

100% after it barely touched 74c

[​IMG]
    idle after

[​IMG]

im really impressed tbh the whole thing now feel cooler to touch

extra one :D
    [​IMG]

im so far happy with the change minus 2 usb ports RIP, I got an SSD too this week and this thing is flying it cold boot to windows in less than 10 sec :cool:

downloads likes this.
  8. nehal19

nehal19 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Guys.
    Coming back here after a long time!

Hope you guys are doing good. Great Job @downloads and the community for keeping this thread alive.

I have trouble with my machine after a long. I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the problem. Turned it on today, the Acer screen and Windows Dual boot screen showed up fine. But immediately after that some artifacts showed up on screen while the Windows 7 logo was there... The artifacts were moving and were covering 30% of the screen. After the Windows 7 logo screen everything just got scrambled.

I then turned off the laptop and turned it on again and there is no display. Tried multiple things.. the system goes into BIOS (I can hear the beep).... While in BIOS the Caps lock & Num lock lights work... But If I let it boot nothing really happens. I also tried cleaning up the RAM modules and tried them individually but no luck. The only thing pending is to hook up an external monitor to check if the display is gone. But I feel the Video Chip/Card is dead.

Any thoughts from you guys?

Thanks in advance for any inputs or suggestions.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  9. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It sound like a GPU. Testing with an external monitor is a good idea though.

Andy53 and nehal19 like this.