Acer Aspire 5740G Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Acer' started by downloads, Mar 16, 2010.

1. cannyboy888

cannyboy888 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys!

My laptop is living its final days and it gave me a final puzzle to solve and i need your help.

I am having a blue screen of death problem(or i think thats what its called) where a little after the first windows logo appears i get a blue screen and if i dont turn it off it does this in a loop.
    The error code is 0xc000021a
    It started when i got one of the occasional blue screens that i havent been able to solve and it restarted. The original blue screen is a problem that has something to do with my gpu I think because it haapens sometimes when im streaming something or watching something on youtube. Dont know the code of that.
    All i can do now is reach the F2 menu. I tried making a windows bootable usb but it hasnt worked so far. The thing is I only have access to a mac and an trying to make this usb with it but i think im doing something wrong. Im using an app called unetbootin to make it. First time i did it i found myself in a new loop from booting with that. Then i reformated the usb and did it again and this time all i get is a blank ms dos screen with a blinking cursor. A friend of mine made it with the mac terminal somehow but that did not work at all. I also tried with 2 different usb sticks. Next im going to try formatting it in ex-fat first and then burning the iso. Maybe that will do the trick.
    Im running windows 10 (not sure which version but i guessed it was the anniversary update) 64-bit. If i could somehow restart in safe mode or get into windows repair mode im hoping i will be able to fix it.
    Really would help if someone could point me in the right direction. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Andy53

Andy53 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    cannyboy888 likes this.
  3. cannyboy888

Reputations:
    Hey @Andy53
    Thansk for your answer.

From the link you sent methods 1 and 3 i cant try because i cant reach my windows. I have just finally been able to successfully create a windows bootable usb and booted it up with that.
    From there I was able to enter the repair mode.

First i tried the startup repair but it just said it couldnt repair the PC. Then I tried a system restore to this one automatic restore point (the only one). That also didnt work and it says "system restore failed while copying the registryfrom the restore point. An unspecified error occurred during System Restore (0x80070570)

Then I tried a chkdsk via command promt but that also doesnt go well. This is method #5 im trying to do(from the link you sent). There first i type "c:" to switch to c and then "cd windows\system32\config"
    (so it looks like C:\> cd windows\system32\config) which im not sure if im writing correctly and it says the system cannot find specified path.

This is currently where im stuck. Any further advice would be appreciated. Really need to fix this asap.

4. cannyboy888

Reputations:
    image.jpeg Also just saw this and it doesnt look too good

5. Andy53

Reputations:
    Well, I'm not a Windows expert, I'm only send you this link because its looks to have some reasonable solutions.
    Looking at point 5 I think its only useful if you make some earlier backups, and looking at your screen I think its the 100 MB boot sector made from Windows , doing so since Windows Vista, Where it put the boot manager and startup file's, all hidden. ( 62Mb free from 100MB )
    You can try to prompt D: to see if your Windows is there.

cannyboy888 likes this.
  6. cannyboy888

Reputations:
    Hi @Andy53

So a small update:
    I figured out that the photo I sent was system reserved rather then where my windows is and dir D: is really where it is. I was then able to do what is written in method 5. I renamed everything to make a backup and copied the files back from the RegBack. there was no backup of COMPONENTS or DRIVERS and maybe thats the problem cause it didnt work. I even did it a second time and again it didnt work.

I also successfully ran chkdsk and that also found no errors. All my files are where they are supposed to be but I windows just wont turn on.

Do you know if theres any way I can reset my windows or just install windows without losing my files?
    When you boot from windows 10 bootable usb apparently "reset this pc" is not an option and when I choose install windows now, there is the upgrade option that lets me keep my files but when I choose it it says that I need to log into windows first and then I can run the upgrade option. All I need is to save some of my files :) Hope theres a way.

7. Andy53

Reputations:
    Now you can copy your files you want save to another partition or another usb/stick/drive if you now where the are in Windows, just for Shure.

cannyboy888 likes this.
  8. cannyboy888

Reputations:
    But is it possible to do it with command prompt? I cant access my windows. I only see them when I do a "dir" on command.

9. Andy53

Reputations:
    Yes, for example "walk" to Favorites,
    Copy Favorites E:\new map
    The contents of Favorites, not the map itself will be copied to E:\new map
    if new map not exist go to E: and
    mkdir new map
    E: is example drive an maps in maps must be copying separate.

There must be easier way to copy complete maps with maps in it to designation but I can not remember at the time, but above will do.

With cd you change from directory ,
    cd windows
    shows you de maps and files in windows after dir
    cd\
    go back to rootdrive example D:
    cd..
    go back one directory

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    cannyboy888 likes this.
  10. cannyboy888

Reputations:
    Perfect! thank you for all your help!

Ill see what I can do tonight and write an update here.